3.76/164

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
theycallmefoes

3.76/164

Postby theycallmefoes » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:41 pm

Chances at T14?
Originally had my heart set on NYU, but that's clearly out of the picture with these numbers. :cry: Still wondering how big of a reach some of the others would be - especially Michigan, NU, Cornell, Penn, and GULC.
Also: WUSTL?

Underperformed on October LSAT - had anticipated ~168. Is it possible to get to 170+ by December, and how greatly would that improve my chances at T14 schools? Also, for NYU, would I need to aim for an average of 170-172, or would it be enough to hit that score on the retake (i.e., average ~168)?

Lastly, how would a December retake influence my competitiveness this cycle? Would it be better to retake at a later date and apply to schools next fall?

Not sure if this would make a difference in admissions, but I wanted to give a bit of context concerning my GPA: Currently low from starting uni as pre-med and getting a few Bs in science courses. Since then, have had 3.85+ each semester (consistently increasing) with 4.0 last spring and am anticipating ~3.8 at time of graduation. Non-science GPA is 3.9+ (not sure of the exact number off the top of my head) and GPA in major area (poli-sci) is 3.88.

ETA: I don't necessarily expect one person to answer all of my questions (but, if you are so inclined, please feel free to do so). If you have an opinion about my chances at a particular school or on some other specific part of my post, I'd love to hear it! Any and all advice would be helpful. <3 Thanks!
Last edited by theycallmefoes on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Re: 3.76/164

Postby rad lulz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:09 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=170051

No real shot at T14

No one cares about multiple scores. No one averages.

No one will weep for your "previous science classes" excuse.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:26 pm

That's what I figured for T14, given my LSAT score. Is it doable for me to improve enough for the December retake to have a shot at any T14 schools?

Also, my LSAT is 1 pt. below the median for WUSTL - will that 1 pt. actually make a difference??? Rather, if I were to just focus on WUSTL (and forget about the T14 schools), do I still need to retake, or will my current stats be enough?

Lastly, how do I evaluate my chances at scholarship $? (E.g., at UMKC?)

Puffin

Postby Puffin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:34 pm

Yes, it is definitely possible given you buckle down and study hard. Retaking into the 170+ range opens up plenty of T-14 options.

Your Major/Science/Whatever GPA doesn't matter, only the cumulative LSDAS GPA from LSAC will be used in evaluating you.

Waiting until next cycle is also credited if you don't feel prepared enough for December, also gives you time to pick up some possible work experience which can do nothing but help your app.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:49 pm

Puffin wrote:Yes, it is definitely possible given you buckle down and study hard. Retaking into the 170+ range opens up plenty of T-14 options.

Could I pick your brain about that a bit? Like, what would be your best advice for how to improve a score in such a short amount of time? What worries me is that I'm currently working on my thesis and have to do my defense this month, so I'm not sure if I'll have enough prep time for the December exam - how many hours a week would be reasonable? (And I do realize that you don't know anything about my score and what my weaknesses on the exam were, but if you could still ballpark it for me/just share your thoughts, I'd appreciate it.)

Also, do you think that 1 pt. deficit for WUSTL will make a difference? Right now, that's what I'm particularly worried about. But if I'll be okay with my stats, then I might just opt to save my money and not bother with the retake.

Thanks!

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:42 am

theycallmefoes wrote:
Puffin wrote:Yes, it is definitely possible given you buckle down and study hard. Retaking into the 170+ range opens up plenty of T-14 options.

Could I pick your brain about that a bit? Like, what would be your best advice for how to improve a score in such a short amount of time? What worries me is that I'm currently working on my thesis and have to do my defense this month, so I'm not sure if I'll have enough prep time for the December exam - how many hours a week would be reasonable? (And I do realize that you don't know anything about my score and what my weaknesses on the exam were, but if you could still ballpark it for me/just share your thoughts, I'd appreciate it.)

Also, do you think that 1 pt. deficit for WUSTL will make a difference? Right now, that's what I'm particularly worried about. But if I'll be okay with my stats, then I might just opt to save my money and not bother with the retake.

Thanks!

Take a year off. Retake and reapply.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:51 am

CorkBoard wrote:Take a year off. Retake and reapply.

Honestly, I'd rather not do that if I do not have to. Would that really be necessary for applying to WUSTL?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:13 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:17 am

wert3813 wrote:
theycallmefoes wrote:
CorkBoard wrote:Take a year off. Retake and reapply.

Honestly, I'd rather not do that if I do not have to. Would that really be necessary for applying to WUSTL?

You need to retake. You don't have time. Therefore you really should take a year off.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:13 am

I appreciate everyone's advice. I think I needed to hear the harsh truth, so, really, thank you. That being said, I've decided to take some of your advice: I am retaking the LSAT - but in December, so I can still apply this cycle. If I am not admitted at my target schools and/or if I do not get any decent scholarships, then I'll probably take a year off.

wert3813 wrote:Minimum 20 hours a week. And others on here will say that's not enough. Two PTs a week AT LEAST. Then individual timed sections every single day.

Thanks for the prep tips! If anyone else has any suggestions, I posted a more specific question on the LSAT board here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=197308

wert3813 wrote:Probably in at WUSTL. But paying full price. Which is dumb.

Could I get your opinion on how applying with a December LSAT score will impact my scholarship chances/amounts? I posted on the Financial Aid board (which doesn't seem to get much traffic) here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=197401

Thanks again for the advice!

Return to “What are my chances?”