ED UVA? Chance me Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Br3v

Gold

ED UVA? Chance me

Post by Br3v » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:55 pm

LSAT:170
gpa: 3.6x (GPA at or between 3.65 and 3.69)

What do you guys think about an ED to UVA? Do I have a shot riding a waitlist somewhere like CCN?

Schools I am particularly interested in:
UVA
Chicago
Columbia
NYU
Duke
GULC
Last edited by Br3v on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shntn

Platinum

Re: 170, 3.6x, ED UVA? Chance me

Post by shntn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Br3v wrote:LSAT:170

What do you guys think about an ED to UVA? Do I have a shot riding a waitlist somewhere like CCN?

UVA
Chicago
Columbia
NYU
Duke
GULC
I'm shit at judging these things, but I'd say ED at UVA is a solid possibility for you.

SantIvo

New

Post by SantIvo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Out at CCN; Waitlisted at Duke; In UVA ED and GULC.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:19 pm

shntn wrote: [...]but I'd say ED at UVA is a solid possibility for you.
well your optimism is appreciated lol.
SantIvo wrote:Out at CCN; Waitlisted at Duke; In UVA ED and GULC.
why Duke waitlist? GPA? Also, does waitlist mean ding, or 50/50 type thing in this context?

Any other takers?

rehsalt

New

Post by rehsalt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:37 pm

UVA
Chicago
Columbia
NYU
Duke
GULC
I wonder how this fellow gets the omniscience to categorically say "out at CCN; Waitlisted at Duke."

I usually don't answer this since I have no idea where you have a chance. But neither does anyone else on TLS. Just looking at raw numbers for Duke, we can see that their median is 170, which you are at, and the 25th percentile is 3.62. That means that at least 25% percent of the class got in with worse numbers than you. To put it in perspective, possibly more than 100 people were admitted with worse numbers (since it's 25% of the class that chose to attend). Why wouldn't you want to try your chances there?

If I had to give advice I would say to apply to them all. And I would not ED at UVA. If you would really like to attend one of CCN, then by all means ED there. And your most likely shot is probably at NYU.
Last edited by rehsalt on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SantIvo

New

Post by SantIvo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Br3v wrote:
shntn wrote: [...]but I'd say ED at UVA is a solid possibility for you.
well your optimism is appreciated lol.
SantIvo wrote:Out at CCN; Waitlisted at Duke; In UVA ED and GULC.
why Duke waitlist? GPA? Also, does waitlist mean ding, or 50/50 type thing in this context?

Any other takers?
Yeah, it's your GPA that will have you riding the wait list, IMHO. A median LSAT paired with a GPA just a shave above 25th percentile isn't enough for RD admission given Duke's small class size. I do think you have a shot to get in off the wait list, however, because of the application downturn.

In any case, if I were in your shoes I'd be shooting for UVA ED. Duke's so hoity-toity.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:42 pm

You are most likely in at Duke and at GULC. CLS is out (essentially 0% chance) and Chicago and NYU are also very unlikely. I'm not sure about UVA but I would guess in with ED and WL with RD.
Last edited by Crowing on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SantIvo

New

Post by SantIvo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:43 pm

rehsalt wrote:

UVA
Chicago
Columbia
NYU
Duke
GULC
I wonder how this asshole gets the omniscience to categorically say "out at CCN; Waitlisted at Duke."

I usually don't answer this since I have no idea where you have a chance. But neither does anyone else on TLS. Just looking at raw numbers for Duke, we can see that their median is 170, which you are at, and the 25th percentile is 3.62. That means that at least 25% percent of the class got in with worse numbers than you. To put it in perspective, possibly more than 100 people were admitted with worse numbers (since it's 25% of the class that chose to attend). Why wouldn't you want to try your chances there?

If I had to give advice I would say to apply to them all. And I would not ED at UVA. If you would really like to attend one of CCN, then by all means ED there. And your most likely shot is probably at NYU.
It's a fucking "what are my chances?" thread. I never claimed omniscience; I just gave my opinion in accordance with the purpose of the topic.

Kudos, though, for understanding what percentiles represent. Thanks for putting things in perspective.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:45 pm

No fights in my thread! haha thanks for the input.
Last edited by Br3v on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:54 am

Chance me threads appear to be getting some attention right now. Bump for more takes.

casgoodnight

New

Post by casgoodnight » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:16 am

If you really want UVA, everything I've seen on LSN indicates that you're almost a dead lock at ED, maybe with $: http://mylsn.info/dispresults.php

According to this, EDing NYU is on the table as well.

Just curious, why so interested in UVA? Why not Penn? I have sort of similar numbers, applying this cycle, and I'm not sure how I feel about UVA compared to other t10.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:18 am

casgoodnight wrote:If you really want UVA, everything I've seen on LSN indicates that you're almost a dead lock at ED, maybe with $: http://mylsn.info/dispresults.php

Just curious, why so interested in UVA? Why not Penn? I have sort of similar numbers, applying this cycle, and I'm not sure how I feel about UVA compared to other t10.
As I studied schools early on UVA kind of became my realistic target school to strive to reach for, so it has always had a soft spot in my heart.

What are your thoughts on Chicago?

casgoodnight

New

Post by casgoodnight » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:31 am

Br3v wrote:
casgoodnight wrote:If you really want UVA, everything I've seen on LSN indicates that you're almost a dead lock at ED, maybe with $: http://mylsn.info/dispresults.php

As I studied schools early on UVA kind of became my realistic target school to strive to reach for, so it has always had a soft spot in my heart.

What are your thoughts on Chicago?
Chicago, NYU, and Penn are my top three in no particular order. My GPA is a little worse than yours and my LSAT is a little better. I'm thinking hard about EDing Chicago because I think my odds are pretty good if I do. On the other hand, the greedy part of me wonders if I could get a scholarship at one of those three if I RD.

I love Chicago though. I lived on the North Side for a couple of years and loved it probably more than anywhere else I've lived (though I've never lived in NY or Philly). I studied Econ in UG and Chicago has strong economics ties in their approach to law, which appeals to me. I could see how that would turn other people off though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

florida1949

Bronze

Post by florida1949 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:37 am

ED UVA seems like a lock. UVA loves 170+ splitters (and you're barely a splitter, if at all)

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:42 am

You're in at Duke and I think RD UVA is a good chance. Wouldn't ED anywhere unless you fall in love with one of CCN. Don't give up that leverage!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:08 pm

BigZuck wrote:You're in at Duke and I think RD UVA is a good chance. Wouldn't ED anywhere unless you fall in love with one of CCN. Don't give up that leverage!
Is ED Chicago any sort of realistic option?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Br3v wrote:
BigZuck wrote:You're in at Duke and I think RD UVA is a good chance. Wouldn't ED anywhere unless you fall in love with one of CCN. Don't give up that leverage!
If you're going to ED CCN I Would use it on NYU

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:18 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Surprisingly LSP has me at a better chance at chi than NYU?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Br3v wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Surprisingly LSP has me at a better chance at chi than NYU?
Don't use LSP, LSN is better.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:58 pm

So it makes more sense to think that I have a better shot at NYU than Chi right? How do either if those schools tend to favor ED applicants?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:02 pm

oes anyone know NYU medians?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:22 pm

Br3v wrote:So it makes more sense to think that I have a better shot at NYU than Chi right? How do either if those schools tend to favor ED applicants?
ED boost isn't that large for CLS or NYU. Old CW was that Chicago favored higher GPAs and that NYU and CLS preferred higher LSATs.

You might be best off going through the cycle and sitting on waitlists, but I'm not sure. I hate to ask, but are you signed up for the Dec. LSAT? Have you considered retaking? I think you're pretty set to get into a T14, but you'd really benefit by having even a small LSAT jump.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:42 pm

hibiki wrote:
Br3v wrote:So it makes more sense to think that I have a better shot at NYU than Chi right? How do either if those schools tend to favor ED applicants?
ED boost isn't that large for CLS or NYU. Old CW was that Chicago favored higher GPAs and that NYU and CLS preferred higher LSATs.

You might be best off going through the cycle and sitting on waitlists, but I'm not sure. I hate to ask, but are you signed up for the Dec. LSAT? Have you considered retaking? I think you're pretty set to get into a T14, but you'd really benefit by having even a small LSAT jump.
If I ever retake it would be for a cycle down the road. I would not be back up to par by Dec. I am just really thankful to have finally reach 170 on the real deal.

Would you advise against ED'ing to Chicago or NYU?

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Br3v wrote:Would you advise against ED'ing to Chicago or NYU?
I wouldn't apply ED in your shoes. The boost is small and I don't think it is worth gambling on. Ultimately it is your decision. If you know that you'd rather attend Chicago or NYU at sticker than have a shot at money someplace else, it would be an OK decision. I just don't know why you'd give up your freedom for an end result that isn't ideal.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:48 pm

hibiki wrote:
Br3v wrote:Would you advise against ED'ing to Chicago or NYU?
I wouldn't apply ED in your shoes. The boost is small and I don't think it is worth gambling on. Ultimately it is your decision. If you know that you'd rather attend Chicago or NYU at sticker than have a shot at money someplace else, it would be an OK decision. I just don't know why you'd give up your freedom for an end result that isn't ideal.
Desribe this freedom? Where do you feel I would get in t14 wise with no ED?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”