168/3.35: Chance a long-time TLSer Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
North

Gold

Re: 168/3.35: Chance a long-time TLSer

Post by North » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Quick and tangential question: Is it worth it to try to crank out a personal statement by tomorrow in order to be able to submit by Cornell's extended EA deadline (Nov. 5)? Or should I not rush it because the EA bump is negligible/non-existent?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:54 pm

North wrote:Quick and tangential question: Is it worth it to try to crank out a personal statement by tomorrow in order to be able to submit by Cornell's extended EA deadline? Or should I not rush it because the EA bump is negligible/non-existent?
I'd do it. You'll hear back from them wayyy sooner. Worthwhile IMO

ETA: The bump is probably negligible, but EA applicants get decisions much sooner.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:59 pm

gaud wrote:
North wrote:Quick and tangential question: Is it worth it to try to crank out a personal statement by tomorrow in order to be able to submit by Cornell's extended EA deadline? Or should I not rush it because the EA bump is negligible/non-existent?
I'd do it. You'll hear back from them wayyy sooner. Worthwhile IMO
Christ... I was afraid that that would be the answer. Now to find a deep, compelling, telling, personal story that I can load up with subliminal messages and themes and write up flawlessly in... 20 hours?

This might be the first time that LSAT-related self-loathing has held me back at something...

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:03 pm

No idea on schools just wanted to wish you luck and congrats on a solid score.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:06 pm

EA Cornell now. ED GULC if you don't do better in December

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:12 am

JCFindley wrote:No idea on schools just wanted to wish you luck and congrats on a solid score.
Thanks Findley. See you in the lounge when I'm done with all this rubbish.

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Alright, I'm taking that advice.

I'm trying to get the Cornell App out today to to beat the EA deadline. Would it be insane to upload a rough-draft of my PS (as noted earlier, I was surprised by the 168 because ZONES and just started writing it) and submit the application today and then update the application with a final draft of my PS before the day the app is required to be complete (November 15)?

Today is going to be a busy day.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:00 pm

North wrote:Alright, I'm taking that advice.

I'm trying to get the Cornell App out today to to beat the EA deadline. Would it be insane to upload a rough-draft of my PS (as noted earlier, I was surprised by the 168 because ZONES and just started writing it) and submit the application today and then update the application with a final draft of my PS before the day the app is required to be complete (November 15)?

Today is going to be a busy day.
Answered this in your other thread, BUT I AM ROOTING FOR YOU DUDE! Buckle down and write your ral PS today, dont send in a rough draft. BEAT THE CLOCK LETS GO!

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:21 am

Would an ED to Michigan be insane/a waste of time, given my career goals? The Cornell fiasco has my T14 lust all rustled.

The only guy to do it on LSN got wait-listed during last year's cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:24 am

North wrote:Would an ED to Michigan be insane/a waste of time, given my career goals? The Cornell fiasco has my T14 lust all rustled.

Not sure what your career goals are, but from what I've read a significant amount of WLs matriculate into the schools. Plus this year's cycle should be more generous then the year's before. Especially in relation to higher LSAT scores.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:53 am

sinfiery wrote:
North wrote:Would an ED to Michigan be insane/a waste of time, given my career goals? The Cornell fiasco has my T14 lust all rustled.

Not sure what your career goals are, but from what I've read a significant amount of WLs matriculate into the schools. Plus this year's cycle should be more generous then the year's before. Especially in relation to higher LSAT scores.
Okay, that intrigues me further. Career goals include D.C. gunning and east coast BigLaw.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:21 pm

North wrote:
sinfiery wrote:

Okay, that intrigues me further. Career goals include D.C. gunning and east coast BigLaw.

It will only cost you the app fee to try and you won't know unless you do.

FWIW, there is NO WAY my numbers justified me getting in where I did and was planning the retake when I got accepted so was an app fee well spent. (Note: military paying for school so I didn't care about $$$)

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:17 am

Alright, my first round of apps is completely in. I've learned about as much as I can from LSN and my status checkers aren't keeping me busy, so if you're bored, predict my cycle and its schollys.

Here's what we're working with:
And my extra-soft softs:
  • • 29 months non-consecutive FT WE during UG
    • Graduated #1 in class at degree school (pretty unfair to the kids who started there as freshmen, IMO, but I didn't argue)
Here's the list that you can quote if feel like playing.

Applied to:
  • • BC:
    • BU:
    • Cornell (favorite, but didn't make the EA deadline :( ):
    • Vandy (growing on me):
    • GW:
    • ND:
    • Emory (not a fan):
    • UF:
    • FSU:
    And, shout out to Nova:
    • WUSTL:
    • UMinn:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:41 am

North wrote:Alright, my first round of apps is completely in. I've learned about as much as I can from LSN and my status checkers aren't keeping me busy, so if you're bored, predict my cycle and its schollys.

And my extra-soft softs:
    • Graduated #1 in class at degree school (pretty unfair to the kids who started there as freshmen, IMO, but I didn't argue)

Applied to:
  • • BC:
    • BU:
    • Vandy (growing on me):
    • GW:
    • ND:
    • Emory (not a fan):
    • UF:
    • FSU:
    And, shout out to Nova:
    • WUSTL:
    • UMinn:
In at UF, FSU, and Emory

Out at Vandy, Cornell, and WUSTL

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:47 am

CorkBoard wrote:
North wrote:Alright, my first round of apps is completely in. I've learned about as much as I can from LSN and my status checkers aren't keeping me busy, so if you're bored, predict my cycle and its schollys.

And my extra-soft softs:

Applied to:
  • • BC:
    • BU:
    • Vandy (growing on me):
    • GW:
    • ND:
    • Emory (not a fan):
    • UF:
    • FSU:
    And, shout out to Nova:
    • WUSTL:
    • UMinn:
In at UF, FSU, and Emory

From LSN, you have a solid shot at WUSTL

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:16 am

TheThriller wrote:
CorkBoard wrote:

And my extra-soft softs:

Applied to:
  • • BC:
    • BU:
    • Vandy (growing on me):
    • GW:
    • ND:
    • Emory (not a fan):
    • UF:
    • FSU:
    And, shout out to Nova:
    • WUSTL:
    • UMinn:
In at UF, FSU, and Emory

From LSN, you have a solid shot at WUSTL
+1. I also think Vandy is still in play, even though it might be a WL, Accept:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jason11364

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/justitiasuperomnia

But for East Cost, BIGLAW prospects, OP should focus on admittance to:

Cornell, GW, Vandy & WUSTL. Maybe ND.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:03 pm

+1. I also think Vandy is still in play, even though it might be a WL, Accept:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jason11364

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/justitiasuperomnia

But for East Cost, BIGLAW prospects, OP should focus on admittance to: I'm sure OP is focused, why wouldn't he be...

Cornell, GW(strike?), Vandy &WUSTL. Maybe ND.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:31 am

Oh, I'm focused. I'm about to start gunning hard for Vandy -- if they do end up needing 168's because Michigan, Cornell, and GULC start scooping up 169's, I plan to be on the top of the pile. Going to do some solid interview prep, write a compelling Why Vandy (if that's a good idea, they don't specifically ask for one or note that they'll accept them), and maybe churn out a Diversity Statement about being a first generation college student.

Thanks for finding those LSN profiles, Bella. I'm liking the hope. I knew going in that I'd probably end up riding WL's until the bitter end.

Thriller, I agree about WUSTL and ND. WUSTL's employment stats are awful, but they throw fat stacks at 168's. I'm going to try to use them for negotiation purposes with schools not in Missouri. GW is scary, too. I like D.C. plenty and want to maximize my chances there, but I think GW won't get me much traction in the rest of the Southeast if I strike out. I really like ND, but I would hate to work in the Midwest and median at ND won't get me out of there. So, in short, I agree with the strikeouts.

I'd be very happy at Vandy or Cornell, but they're such long shots. Not sure how I feel about Emory, BU, or BC.

I like when this thread gets brought back up, typing up my thoughts on this helps me straighten things out.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:37 am

Edited
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:10 am

I think Thriller's strikethroughs were meant to address Bella's claim that Cornell, GW, Vandy, ND, and WUSTL were good for getting East Coast BigLaw (the employment goal I'm trying to maximize opportunities for), not my chances at those schools. He was saying that WUSTL, ND, and maybe GW weren't actually that good for it.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:15 am

North wrote:I think Thriller's strikethroughs were meant to address Bella's claim that Cornell, GW, Vandy, ND, and WUSTL were good for getting East Coast BigLaw (the employment goal I'm trying to maximize opportunities for), not my chances at those schools. He was saying that WUSTL, ND, and maybe GW weren't actually that good for it.

Lolz, just noticed that myself, sorry. Go to Vandy if you get in.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”