Two-part question

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
KamronK

Two-part question

Postby KamronK » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:25 pm

I will finish undergrad with a GPA between a 3.3 and 3.4, and I'm a political science major.

Let's say I have a 3.34 GPA and receive a 164 on my LSAT. Assuming that the rest of the factors are the average that they normally see, what are my chances at a law school such as Arizona State (my current school), or the University of Georgia?

Also for those who may know something about this, I'd like to pursue a career in sports law. Clearly, I won't be able to go to a T-14 school and I can't afford to live in California or NY. I know that sports agents come from various backgrounds so I'm wondering what would be the best type of law to focus on when I do figure out which school I am attending. I've heard business law is helpful in developing the skills needed.

I appreciate your help.

rad lulz

Re: Two-part question

Postby rad lulz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:27 pm

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:58 pm

Have you thought about a career in international sports law?

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:07 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Have you thought about a career in international sports law?

What about space and intergalactic law?

Puffin

Postby Puffin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:04 pm

OP: The trolling would be due to your interest in sports law, ( If that wasn't abundantly clear). It is incredibly difficult to land any legal position out of either of those schools let alone a "sports agent". The only shot you'd have is to score 170+ go to a t14, probably get some Biglaw/Clerking/Major connections and pray to the law gods for a potential shot at "sports law". Or, graduate from anywhere and pass the bar all whilst having a "sports law" job lined up through some amazing connection.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:21 pm

play with this,

http://www.mylsn.info

KamronK

Postby KamronK » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:25 am

Puffin,
I don't expect it to be easy and I'll graduate and become Leigh Steinberg. I know at UGA I would have to finish near the top of my class, or find a back-up plan. I know it's also up to me to make connections that will get me there. My only question was which types of courses translate the best to that career path.

I don't mind the trolling...I can just imagine what those long hours put in at law school can do to a person. I'm glad some people can take the time to have some fun. It's good to have that balance. :mrgreen:

KamronK

Postby KamronK » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:36 am

The reason I would go with ASU or UGA because they are solid schools at a low cost. If I did very well on the LSAT, the cost of a school like Fordham would be difficult for me to get over.

All my connections are in politics, unfortunately. Hopefully it allows me to gain some sort of employment after graduation.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:11 pm

NasserK wrote:Puffin,
I don't expect it to be easy and I'll graduate and become Leigh Steinberg. I know at UGA I would have to finish near the top of my class, or find a back-up plan. I know it's also up to me to make connections that will get me there. My only question was which types of courses translate the best to that career path.

I don't mind the trolling...I can just imagine what those long hours put in at law school can do to a person. I'm glad some people can take the time to have some fun. It's good to have that balance. :mrgreen:

There are no courses that translate to that career path. There is nothing law school can teach you that translates. There are like 12 jobs in sports law and thousands of law students who are interested in it because they played varsity basketball or won their fantasy league three years running. In order to work in sports law you need to:

1) Go to a T14, get the grades for biglaw, and apply to Proskauer Rose or another firm with a lot of leagues or teams as clients, and beat out the dozens of other applicants to work for partners/groups that deal with those clients with an eye towards eventually moving in-house with them.

2) Be a former pro or college athlete and use those connections to leverage into an entry-level job with an agency.

If you don't have 1 or 2, you will not be a sports lawyer. And it's not just blowing off steam- it's a six-figure investment in a career path that is not there.

Return to “What are my chances?”