Athletics and GPA questions

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mkania

Athletics and GPA questions

Postby mkania » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:33 am

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything or has experience with being an undergrad student athlete and how that can help admissions I have tons of accolades in my sport, and I'm the president of my universities student athletes. If anyone knows anything I'd love to hear.

Also, this might be a silly question but I transferred for athletic after my freshman undergraduate year. I had a 4.0 at UKentucky, but when I transferred, my grades and GPA did not transfer. I now have a 3.3. Is there anyone I can make my first year known to admissions so as to benefit my chances.

Four Ten

Re: Athletics and GPA questions

Postby Four Ten » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:41 am

mkania wrote:Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything or has experience with being an undergrad student athlete and how that can help admissions I have tons of accolades in my sport, and I'm the president of my universities student athletes. If anyone knows anything I'd love to hear.

Also, this might be a silly question but I transferred for athletic after my freshman undergraduate year. I had a 4.0 at UKentucky, but when I transferred, my grades and GPA did not transfer. I now have a 3.3. Is there anyone I can make my first year known to admissions so as to benefit my chances.

I know a handful of former D-1 athletes who currently attend or recently graduated from my law school. Not sure how much of a boost that provides - I think you would probably have to look at their LSAT scores and GPAs relative to the rest of the admitted students, but obviously, that's not going to happen. Sorry, I can't provide anything other than anecdotal evidence.

I'm not exactly sure how your first year grades didn't transfer, but maybe you could attach an addendum to your app explaining the circumstances.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:42 pm

mkania wrote:Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything or has experience with being an undergrad student athlete and how that can help admissions I have tons of accolades in my sport, and I'm the president of my universities student athletes. If anyone knows anything I'd love to hear.

It will make little to no difference. Make sure your LSAT and GPA are competitive for your target schools

mkania wrote:Also, this might be a silly question but I transferred for athletic after my freshman undergraduate year. I had a 4.0 at UKentucky, but when I transferred, my grades and GPA did not transfer. I now have a 3.3. Is there anyone I can make my first year known to admissions so as to benefit my chances.

You will be responsible for reporting all of your grades, from any undergraduate institution, to LSAC. LSAC will then calculate your cumulative GPA.

Sillygoose31

Postby Sillygoose31 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Based on the last LSAC Forum I went to I received mixed reviews on being a D-1 athlete and how, if at all, it would help an applicant. I thought it was funny that the major athletic schools such as Ohio State, Michigan, and Texas all said it would help, even more so if you were a decorated athlete from a reputable sports program. Schools such as Northwestern, Cornell, and NYU basically said it's another item on the resume. As for serving as a low gpa addendum I don't know. It seems to be commonly accepted that athletes have lower GPA's, but when applying to law school I'm sure there is no mercy.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:05 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:You will be responsible for reporting all of your grades, from any undergraduate institution, to LSAC. LSAC will then calculate your cumulative GPA.

Lucky you, OP. Get your grades up and your first year grades will help you out with your LSAC GPA.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:10 pm

Sillygoose31 wrote:Based on the last LSAC Forum I went to I received mixed reviews on being a D-1 athlete and how, if at all, it would help an applicant. I thought it was funny that the major athletic schools such as Ohio State, Michigan, and Texas all said it would help, even more so if you were a decorated athlete from a reputable sports program. Schools such as Northwestern, Cornell, and NYU basically said it's another item on the resume. As for serving as a low gpa addendum I don't know. It seems to be commonly accepted that athletes have lower GPA's, but when applying to law school I'm sure there is no mercy.

Don't listen to anything the shills at LSAC forums say.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:15 pm

I'll let you know how my cycle goes and get back to you OP, PM me if you're interested

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Your first year will be calculated into your LSAC GPA, no addendum required. As far as helping your cycle, everyone knows collegiate athletes make the best lawyers..... err....

Seriously though, your D1 athletic status will be worth very little in the greater scheme of things. Schools care about your LSAT score and GPA. Aside from that everything else is a VERY distant second (except URM status). It makes for an interesting PS topic, but why would a law school give a noticeable admissions bonus to someone for something completely unrelated to academic prowess, that provides no indication of your future ability to succeed in law school / practice law?

170, 3.5 GPA > 169, 3.5 GPA + D1 Athlete

If you want to go to law school start getting better grades and studying for the LSAT. Your three digit LSAT score is worth well over 100x more than your athletic pursuits.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:22 pm

it'll help

hq2x

Postby hq2x » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:23 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:Your three digit LSAT score

What's up with this phrase? I've seen it pop up a lot recently on these forums, but it doesn't make any sense to me. What does an LSAT score being 3 digits have to do with anything? Is it supposed to underscore how seemingly insignificant the score is? This has bothered me for awhile.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:06 pm

Yeah, the whole LSAT/GPA only thing really does ring true unless 1) you're a URM, 2) you cured cancer, or 3) you invented a burrito that microwaves perfectly every time. Not too cold in the middle, and not to hot at the edges. Oh baby.

Other than that, LSAT/GPA.

Return to “What are my chances?”