165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
OverlyOptimistic
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:33 pm

165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Postby OverlyOptimistic » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:52 pm

LSAT: 165 (June 2011) / Re-took the test October 2012, still awaiting scores - estimate slight score increase (166-169) - Logic Games consistently hold me back.

GPA: 3.88

Graduated one semester early from well recognized top 50 uni, double major political science/psychology, minor philosophy, full departmental honors, completed interdisciplinary honors thesis (psyc/poli sci), graduated Summa. Member PBK, Psyc and Poli Sci honors societies, pre-law society, club lacrosse. Finishing 2 year TFA commitment in New Orleans. Have glowing rec letters from 2 honors thesis advisors (same recommenders I used for TFA) and from principle of school where i teach and from TFA contact person. Finally, Caucasian male (obviously what makes me unique!)

Looking at the numbers, my GPA places me nicely in range and sometimes above range for multiple T14's, but I'm afraid my LSAT drops me through the floor. :(

Similar posts seem to always yield the same piece of advice: "LSAT retake!" - but I'm not sure a 3rd retake will have that much weight even with a dramatic score boost.

I want to go to the BEST SCHOOL possible! Where MIGHT I have an outside chance, and are there any T14's where I'd be IN?
Last edited by OverlyOptimistic on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RSterling
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: 165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Postby RSterling » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:09 pm

There are definitely no T14 schools where you'll be definitely in. You have a shot at Cornell and ED at UVA. Berkeley is a slight possibility. The others are complete toss-ups but unlikely. TFA is not going to make up for numbers. At best, it'll act as the tie breaker between you and someone with similar numbers. If you have the time, a retake may not be a bad idea. 3+ points and you're golden for much for the T14.
just look at mylsn.info

Edit: I totally missed the part where you retook. If you did get 3-4 points extra, you have a solid shot at MVP on down. Berkeley also pretty likely.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: 165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:27 pm

You have a shot at UVA, Michigan, Northwestern, and Cornell.

This being said, you should absolutely retake. If you bump your LSAT up even to a 168-170, you open up Chicago, NYU, Penn, and Berkeley.

User avatar
AllDangle
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: 165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Postby AllDangle » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Same numbers as you (before your retake) and in via ED at Duke. HTH

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15525
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:05 pm

3.88/165-168-175 with TFA? Auto-in at Harvard.

OverlyOptimistic
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: 165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Postby OverlyOptimistic » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:3.88/165-168-175 with TFA? Auto-in at Harvard.


Haha, really? I'm not sure about how Harvard evaluates LSAT retakes, but isn't that...well, optimistic (even assuming I could score a 175 in December)? Curse those logic games! Also, other posts on here have led me to believe that TFA isn't THAT great - just another solid soft.

Anyway, if you're trolling, consider yourself fed, because now you've got me thinking about this. Thanks for the response either way!

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15525
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Given your handle you are surprisingly pessimistic. Logic games are very learnable, although I know it doesn't seem that way right now.

Keep in mind that applications are rapidly declining. Schools were never very picky about retakes after the ABA changed the policy to let them report the highest score rather than the average, but now they really can't be picky.

With even a 170 you are in great shape to snag a full ride in the T-14.

OverlyOptimistic
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: 165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Postby OverlyOptimistic » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Given your handle you are surprisingly pessimistic. Logic games are very learnable, although I know it doesn't seem that way right now.

Keep in mind that applications are rapidly declining. Schools were never very picky about retakes after the ABA changed the policy to let them report the highest score rather than the average, but now they really can't be picky.

With even a 170 you are in great shape to snag a full ride in the T-14.


Thanks for the clarification. This is the type of info I was hoping to learn from this post. Related Question: If I go ED to a school that is out of my range NOW given my current LSAT score (think NYU or *gets starry eyed* Columbia), can I attach an addendum explaining that I plan on taking it AGAIN in Dec.? More to the point, would such an addendum just get me tossed into the normal app pile? Thoughts (especially considering I'm putting a lot more weight on school ranking than financial aid chances, as I really want to have flexibility in where I eventually practice law/don't mind going into debt if I have a solid chance to gain employment that would allow me to pay it off)?

User avatar
Puffin
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: 165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Postby Puffin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:59 pm

Retake for HYS or major $$$$ at t-14. 172+ and you're in good shape to get Columbia's full ride scholly if you're more interested in debt-aversion than in HYS. Your GPA and TFA soft put you in an amazing spot for any school you could want, not retaking would be a serious waste. As previously stated Logic Games are the most learnable, and many test takers consistently go -0 or-1 after significant practice.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: 165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Puffin wrote:172+ and you're in good shape to get Columbia's full ride scholly if you're more interested in debt-aversion than in HYS.


Tap the brakes a bit. CLS gives out very few Hamiltons.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: 165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Postby BigZuck » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Puffin wrote:Retake for HYS or major $$$$ at t-14. 172+ and you're in good shape to get Columbia's full ride scholly if you're more interested in debt-aversion than in HYS. Your GPA and TFA soft put you in an amazing spot for any school you could want, not retaking would be a serious waste. As previously stated Logic Games are the most learnable, and many test takers consistently go -0 or-1 after significant practice.


You ever heard of ZONES, bro bro? LSAT is learnable and all that good stuff but it's not a foregone conclusion that every single person can just knock it out of the park.

But of course retake is the credited response if OP does not hit a 170+. I think OP should prepare to retake in December to maximize his/her chances at a top school.

User avatar
Puffin
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: 165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Postby Puffin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:33 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Puffin wrote:Retake for HYS or major $$$$ at t-14. 172+ and you're in good shape to get Columbia's full ride scholly if you're more interested in debt-aversion than in HYS. Your GPA and TFA soft put you in an amazing spot for any school you could want, not retaking would be a serious waste. As previously stated Logic Games are the most learnable, and many test takers consistently go -0 or-1 after significant practice.


You ever heard of ZONES, bro bro? LSAT is learnable and all that good stuff but it's not a foregone conclusion that every single person can just knock it out of the park.

But of course retake is the credited response if OP does not hit a 170+. I think OP should prepare to retake in December to maximize his/her chances at a top school.


I said many, not all?

Edit: Maybe that's even an over-statement, but it is the MOST learnable of the sections.
Last edited by Puffin on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OverlyOptimistic
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: 165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Postby OverlyOptimistic » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:37 pm

BigZuck wrote: But of course retake is the credited response if OP does not hit a 170+. I think OP should prepare to retake in December to maximize his/her chances at a top school.


Okay. I'm seeing this theme a lot. I'll take this advice and begin prep for December. I did a lot of prep for the last one, but I still think I could do better - felt like I didn't perform at the same level I was consistently hitting in practices on LG (took too long on an early game, totally screwing up the pacing). A couple of you claim I'd have a chance at HYS with a significantly higher score - what is the minimum score you think I should shoot for to have a realistic shot at getting accepted at one of the big 3?

User avatar
Puffin
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: 165(+ Retake) 3.88 TFA - Best School Possible?

Postby Puffin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Puffin wrote:172+ and you're in good shape to get Columbia's full ride scholly if you're more interested in debt-aversion than in HYS.


Tap the brakes a bit. CLS gives out very few Hamiltons.


An ~3.9 GPA with a 172+ LSAT and TFA isn't in good shape for it? Again perhaps over-stated but its definitely not out of play.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests