Which of these schools will accept me?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Admit or Denial?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Texas
3
4%
Alabama
6
8%
North Carolina
8
11%
Iowa
10
13%
Minnesota
8
11%
Emory
9
12%
Boston College
9
12%
George Washington
5
7%
Indiana-Bloomington
9
12%
Wisconsin
9
12%
 
Total votes: 76

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby michaelm55 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Please indicate your thoughts on my chances of acceptance at the following schools. And yes, I have seen virtually every predictor on the planet... I want some human input. Go ahead and fill in the bubbles on the poll indicating which schools that you think I can get into, and exclude the bubbles for those that I will not get into. Thanks guys. Also, any thoughts on scholarship would be greatly appreciated.

Texas
Alabama
North Carolina
Iowa
Minnesota
Emory
Boston College
George Washington
Arizona State
Wisconsin
Indiana
Last edited by michaelm55 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10872
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby BigZuck » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:18 pm

I voted none because you don't have a gpa or LSAT score and you can't spell the word "Arizona."

User avatar
GATA1989
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby GATA1989 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:22 pm

BigZuck wrote:I voted none because you don't have a gpa or LSAT score and you can't spell the word "Arizona."


a 164 and a 3.9 according to the bio

beggingocean1
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby beggingocean1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:23 pm

You don't need 2 threads.

User avatar
Puffin
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby Puffin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:53 pm

retake for 170+ and t14s with major schollys/HYS potential. otherwise you'd be a pretty solid lock for all of those, minus texas if you're non-resident but still possible.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby 005618502 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:31 am

I know people say this all to often, but those numbers are like the ideal ED to UVA numbers (my numbers were both just a little higher than yours, and this is what I did)

You will likely get into Texas if you are in state.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby Br3v » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:33 am

Puffin wrote:retake for 170+ and t14s with major schollys/HYS potential. otherwise you'd be a pretty solid lock for all of those, minus texas if you're non-resident but still possible.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby Br3v » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:33 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:I know people say this all to often, but those numbers are like the ideal ED to UVA numbers .


really? UVA ED bump applies to reverse splitters as well?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:28 pm

Br3v wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:I know people say this all to often, but those numbers are like the ideal ED to UVA numbers .


really? UVA ED bump applies to reverse splitters as well?


Yep. But reverse splitters should only do this after taking the LSAT 3-4 times.

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby michaelm55 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:18 pm

I would mention here that an LSAT retake is not an option, because (as dumb as this makes me sound) I already have spent 4 1/2 months studying all the relavent materials and comleted 40+ practice tests. I peeked at arround 169 and averaged 165. My score is an accurate representation (roughly) of how I can perform having prepared well. Thanks for all the retake encouragement though.

Also, who in here thinks that I could actually get accepted to UVA on an early binging decision? I would love to go here (and don't really deserve to), but I actually didn't apply because I checked out the TLS acceptance stats graph, and... didn't see anybody like me really getting in. Who thinks that with my stats, an app to UVA is worth $100?

Also, is UVA worth sticker?? Any thoughts?

User avatar
Puffin
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby Puffin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Retake is always an option. You just have to continue analyzing your flaws in reasoning, games diagrams etc maybe a few hours with a tutor could help clear things up. UVA is a top school and is arguably worth paying sticker for, but why would you when with a few more points on the lsat you can save yourself 10's of thousands of dollars? Also, 4 1/2 months of studying does not a dumb person make.. At any rate UVA has a rather bizarre ED policy so I think you'd have slightly more than a non-zero chance.

BigZuck
Posts: 10872
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby BigZuck » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:22 pm

I've taken the LSAT 3 times. After my second try I was accepted to a T14 and I still retook this month because my score just wasn't good enough. I don't know if I improved or not but at least I tried. Not retaking is silly. Do it. Don't waste that gpa on these schools.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby 005618502 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:49 pm

BigZuck wrote:I've taken the LSAT 3 times. After my second try I was accepted to a T14 and I still retook this month because my score just wasn't good enough. I don't know if I improved or not but at least I tried. Not retaking is silly. Do it. Don't waste that gpa on these schools.


I will agree with this. Having done the ED thing (reverse splitter) and now being here I feel like it was just dumb to not retake. Luckily I worked for a year, saved up some money and my COL is covered by my SO. So my total debt should be about 150 at graduation (less if I get SA positions 1L or 2L)

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby michaelm55 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:01 am

Ok guys. So I am applying for the fall of 2013, and these are my stats: 3.93, 164. I scored a 164 back in February and never looked back. Many of my fellow TLS brothers and sister have recommended (because of my high GPA) that I retake at least once more since even three points more could mean tens of thousands of dollars of scholarship money (and that it would seem pretty silly not to try).

But here is the trick: I have already applied to 11 schools with my 164 listed. What happens if they accept, deny, or waitlist me and then I score higher or lower than a 164? Are scholarship and acceptance status maleable, contingent upon a new and better or worse LSAT score?

Also, I haven't seen a single LSAT question for like seven months. I am going to do a diognostic test this week to estimate where I am. I would have about one month of practice before the December LSAT. What would I have to score on this week's diagnostic to know that I could score better than 164 within a month's time? Please Help!


I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Which of these schools will accept me?

Postby Icculus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:19 am

michaelm55 wrote:at least once more since even three points more could mean tens of thousands of dollars of scholarship money


At least is key here, you should use your third chance if your second one doesn't work out. If you don't think you'll be ready for December I would suggest even holding off until February or <gasp> June and putting off law school for a year. And before you say I can't because (a whole bunch of reasons that don't really preclude you from waiting a year) you have said it yourself, it could be TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars. Hell, you get it up to a 170+ and it could be even more. Retake until you have no retakes left is the credite response here. And waiting until February or June is what I would suggest if you think December won't happen.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: snowycc and 3 guests