International Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Nolita Fairytale

New

International

Post by Nolita Fairytale » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:27 pm

I know I don't have an LSAT score yet, but what I want to know is what score I need for T14/what my target score should be in December.
Last edited by Nolita Fairytale on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Gold

Re: International

Post by dingbat » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Because you don't have a GPA, your LSAT is more important than for others.
Basically, you can expect to get in if your LSAT is above the 75th percentile and you'll probably strike out if it's below the 25th percentile.
If you aren't above 165, you probably won't get into any T14, but if you break 170, you should get into most of them. Between 166 and 169 you should apply to the entire T14 as well as a few safeties (UCLA/USC, Texas, Vandy) and hope for the best.
I would also suggest considering BU/BC/GW/Fordham/WUSTL/Minnesota/Emory, particularly if your score is in the mid 160's. However, these require a far more detailed analysis of cost/benefit, employment opportunities, goals, location, etc., and are not recommendable to everyone - they depend a lot more on personal circumstance

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:46 pm

anywhere you hit the LSAT median, you have a very strong shot.
/thread

Nolita Fairytale

New

Post by Nolita Fairytale » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm

Thank you both so much! I'm planning to apply to T20, Fordham and probably (at least two of) BU, BC, Notre Dame and Emory. I really want to get into a T14 school (who doesn't? :)), though, partly because I have no real ties anywhere (well... maybe Chicago).

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:19 pm

Nolita Fairytale wrote:Thank you both so much! I'm planning to apply to T20, Fordham and probably (at least two of) BU, BC, Notre Dame and Emory. I really want to get into a T14 school (who doesn't? :)), though, partly because I have no real ties anywhere (well... maybe Chicago).
Yeah, not having any ties anywhere is tough when you look at regional schools or schools in secondary markets. If you are going to end up at a non-T14, you really need to consider whether the school will even get you a job. For instance, I would caution you against going to a school like BU or BC (or at least to talk to some people in the career services departments), because the Boston market can be incredibly insular, and even if you do well at a school that is highly respected in the area, there is reason to be concerned about getting a job.

On the other hand, the employers may look at attending a school in the area as a significant enough tie.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:53 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Nolita Fairytale wrote:Thank you both so much! I'm planning to apply to T20, Fordham and probably (at least two of) BU, BC, Notre Dame and Emory. I really want to get into a T14 school (who doesn't? :)), though, partly because I have no real ties anywhere (well... maybe Chicago).
Yeah, not having any ties anywhere is tough when you look at regional schools or schools in secondary markets. If you are going to end up at a non-T14, you really need to consider whether the school will even get you a job. For instance, I would caution you against going to a school like BU or BC (or at least to talk to some people in the career services departments), because the Boston market can be incredibly insular, and even if you do well at a school that is highly respected in the area, there is reason to be concerned about getting a job.

On the other hand, the employers may look at attending a school in the area as a significant enough tie.
Fordham, on the other hand, is fair game, because New York doesn't require (or even inquire about) ties. But it's a risky proposition and you probably shouldn't go without at least a partial scholarship (or very rich parents)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”