What are my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
loszene

What are my chances?

Postby loszene » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:27 pm

UC Berkeley graduate (Pol Sci major) - 3.21 GPA
I took my LSAT an I got a score of 150 (im not ready to retake it in Oct, so considering retaking it in Dec. I am not sure if I should?)
I know I can write a great personal statement because of my background and I am very passionate about going to law school. Also I have mentors that are either lawyers or law student who have offered to help me and give me feedback.
I have two great letter of rec one from a non-profit attorney and one from the attorney general's office both know me really well and were really impressed with my work.

I became very discourage because even though I been studying my LSAT score has not improve. Looking at the LSAC website my chance don't look good. I don't know if I should wait to take the lsat in december and apply next fall?

Any advice will be very helpful. :)

msblaw89

Re: What are my chances?

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:32 pm

LSAT/GPA accounts for 99% of the admission process. So all of your other extras, no matter how "great" they are, won't amount to much. Try to raise your GPA and take time to REALLY study for the LSAT and at laest hit the 160 mark....at the very least

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:47 pm

msblaw89 wrote:LSAT/GPA accounts for 99% of the admission process. So all of your other extras, no matter how "great" they are, won't amount to much. Try to raise your GPA and take time to REALLY study for the LSAT and at laest hit the 160 mark....at the very least

raising the GPA isn't possible because OP is a graduate so it is all about the raising LSAT score

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:38 pm

Wait till June. Study for 9 months. Retake a third time next October if necessary.

Read this, http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... ?f=6&t=396

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:51 pm

msblaw89 wrote:LSAT/GPA accounts for 99% of the admission process. So all of your other extras, no matter how "great" they are, won't amount to much. Try to raise your GPA and take time to REALLY study for the LSAT and at laest hit the 160 mark....at the very least

Isn't 99 a bit of an overstatement, especially at schools that value WE?

Also, doesn't Dean Tom at Berkeley say that LORs/PS etc count for 1/3 of their decision? Is he just saying that to comfort 0Ls? If not... I wouldn't be surprised if other top schools have a similar dogma.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:10 pm

RickyDnwhyc wrote:

Isn't 99 a bit of an overstatement, especially at schools that value WE?

Also, doesn't Dean Tom at Berkeley say that LORs/PS etc count for 1/3 of their decision? Is he just saying that to comfort 0Ls? If not... I wouldn't be surprised if other top schools have a similar dogma.

Berkeley is one of three schools that base a substantial part of their decision on something other than LSAT/GPA (the other two are Stanford and Yale). Every other school that says its admissions are "holistic" are pretty much lying. There is nothing about this chart that suggests that anything besides GPA/LSAT has any importance: http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1112/ Or a lower ranked (CA) example: http://hastings.lawschoolnumbers.com/st ... Cycle=1213

And look at it this way: even if you went out there and did something that truly does impress the adcomms -- get a Rhodes scholarship, start a successful business, work at McKinsey for a few years -- an LSAT below 168 would still disqualify you from almost every T-14.

So... go study!

Return to “What are my chances?”