LSAT 149/GPA 3.4 Someone PLEASE help me?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LSHopeful123

LSAT 149/GPA 3.4 Someone PLEASE help me?

Postby LSHopeful123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Undergrad: UCLA transfer student from UCR (Poli Sci)
GPA: 3.4
Major: Asian Am Studies
Years out of Undergrad: 2

I'm new to the forum, but I was hoping I could get some advice from all of you. I was reading through similar posts for people who have a low LSAT scores like me and most of you advised that going to law school with such a low LSAT score is simply not worth it. I realize I have no chance at a T1/T2 and most T3 law schools, but I'm really set on going to law school. I don't want to go into why going to LS is so important to me, but let's just imagine for now that my personal statement is almost perfect and that I'm going to apply for the fall 2013 cycle really early.

Here's my story:

I took my LSAT 3 times, (Oct 2011-cancelled score, Dec 2011-149, June 2012-149). I was wondering what law schools I should apply to. I really want to stay in California due to family I need to look after and because I'm already realistic about my low stats, I've been working/saving money like crazy (~$75k so far) because I know I won't get any scholarships. I am not a URM nor have I done anything super amazing like cure cancer. I know my stats make me look like I'm not cut out for law school, but I'm a really hard worker and I never give up. I'm not as quick as most people but I make up for it by working twice as hard, especially when it's something I care so much about.

With that said, any advice on what schools I should look into? Initially I was aiming for Chapman, but I'm pretty discouraged now because they told me I have a less than 20% of getting in...I know you guys will be honest but try not to be too brutal, please! Any advice is very welcomed and thanks in advance for reading this far, I really appreciate it!

Veyron

Re: LSAT 149/GPA 3.4 Someone PLEASE help me?

Postby Veyron » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:37 pm

If you're dead set on being a lawyer, save 200k and self study for the bar.

jitsubruin

Postby jitsubruin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:40 pm

Do some heavy lsat studying and retake?

LSHopeful123

Postby LSHopeful123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:51 pm

@jitsubruin: Well, I'm really not trying to consider that option because I actually took prep courses with Blueprint (for a whole year!) and I don't feel like waiting another 2 years then redoing the whole process again. I already used up my 3 chances for the LSAT. I know I can petition them for a 4th chance, but at this point I'm so let down by the LSAT that I'm just willing to go to a lower school...just have no idea which one!

@veyron: haha, maybe! I really want the whole experience though :(

Thanks for the reply you guys!

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:52 pm

jitsubruin wrote:Do some heavy lsat studying and retake?

Wait a year. Use Pithypike's guide on this site. Study. Don't take it until you improve.

Youd be insane to go this year instead of waiting and studying

LSHopeful123

Postby LSHopeful123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:57 pm

@mr.hands: Do you really think that's my only option? I'm so discouraged because I was really set on applying for the 2013 cycle. Do you think it might help that I'm applying very early in the cycle? Is Whitter even worth looking into? Will I be able to even retake in 1 year? I thought I had to wait at least 2 years before I get to retake the LSAT? Sorry I have so many questions! haha

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:59 pm

LSHopeful123 wrote:@mr.hands: Do you really think that's my only option? I'm so discouraged because I was really set on applying for the 2013 cycle. Do you think it might help that I'm applying very early in the cycle? Is Whitter even worth looking into? Will I be able to even retake in 1 year? I thought I had to wait at least 2 years before I get to retake the LSAT? Sorry I have so many questions! haha

It's 2 years from the 1st time you took it. The 1st possible time you could have taken it and have had two retakes was last December, therefore, at the latest, you're eligible for a retake next December.

If you really want to be a lawyer, retake or don't go.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:00 pm

There is no law school worth attending that you are competitive for with your current numbers. Your dream might be to be a lawyer, but you most likely will have no legal job and a ton of debt if you attend a school that will accept you with your current LSAT score. Retake. Request permission to take for a fourth time from LSAC. The LSAT can be learned, it just might take a lot of time and effort.

LSHopeful123

Postby LSHopeful123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:03 pm

@alwayssunnyinfl: wow, thanks! I thought I had to wait 2 whole years...If I know I'm a consistently low scorer PTs are usually ~152-154 (on good days I'm a 156, impressive...I know), should I petition to do it in June or October of next year or just wait until Dec 2013? I'm really trying to apply early in the cycle vs. later. What are your thoughts?

LSHopeful123

Postby LSHopeful123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:06 pm

@Richie Tenenbaum: Yeah, deep down inside I know you're right. Ughh, I was just so set on going in 2013...especially since I've already graduated for 2 years. Do you think I should even try applying first and seeing what happens then retake the lsats if I get not good bites? That might make my chances even lower if I need to reapply huh?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:07 pm

LSHopeful123 wrote:@alwayssunnyinfl: wow, thanks! I thought I had to wait 2 whole years...If I know I'm a consistently low scorer PTs are usually ~152-154 (on good days I'm a 156, impressive...I know), should I petition to do it in June or October of next year or just wait until Dec 2013? I'm really trying to apply early in the cycle vs. later. What are your thoughts?

When was the first time you took the test?

LSHopeful123

Postby LSHopeful123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:10 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
LSHopeful123 wrote:@alwayssunnyinfl: wow, thanks! I thought I had to wait 2 whole years...If I know I'm a consistently low scorer PTs are usually ~152-154 (on good days I'm a 156, impressive...I know), should I petition to do it in June or October of next year or just wait until Dec 2013? I'm really trying to apply early in the cycle vs. later. What are your thoughts?

October 1st, 2011

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:11 pm

LSHopeful123 wrote:@Richie Tenenbaum: Yeah, deep down inside I know you're right. Ughh, I was just so set on going in 2013...especially since I've already graduated for 2 years. Do you think I should even try applying first and seeing what happens then retake the lsats if I get not good bites? That might make my chances even lower if I need to reapply huh?

I don't see any reason to apply with your current LSAT score. You really need to try and improve by at least 10-15 points. That should be your goal right now if you want to be a lawyer. Applying to schools with awful job prospects is a waste of time. (And with a 149 you are an automatic ding at schools with decent job prospects.)

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:13 pm

LSHopeful123 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

October 1st, 2011

Then wait, work your ass off and retake in October of next year. That will leave you plenty of time to get apps in before Thanksgiving, and if you're currently in the 150's, you should be able to hit a much more respectable score by October. I went from PT'ing in the low 150's to a 171. You can do it.

LSHopeful123

Postby LSHopeful123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
LSHopeful123 wrote:@Richie Tenenbaum: Yeah, deep down inside I know you're right. Ughh, I was just so set on going in 2013...especially since I've already graduated for 2 years. Do you think I should even try applying first and seeing what happens then retake the lsats if I get not good bites? That might make my chances even lower if I need to reapply huh?

I don't see any reason to apply with your current LSAT score. You really need to try and improve by at least 10-15 points. That should be your goal right now if you want to be a lawyer. Applying to schools with awful job prospects is a waste of time. (And with a 149 you are an automatic ding at schools with decent job prospects.)

Oyyy veyyy. I know you're right...The truth is just so hard to hear :/ When you say awful job prospects, do you mean the jobs that I'm currently seeing now (i.e. really random office jobs with low wages)? Whoever said, "follow your passion and major in that when you're in college; success will follow" was a liar! Its hard finding a decent job with such a strange major. Wish I figured that out back then...well, at least it was fun. So Whittier and Southwestern are duds?

LSHopeful123

Postby LSHopeful123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:19 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
LSHopeful123 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

October 1st, 2011

Then wait, work your ass off and retake in October of next year. That will leave you plenty of time to get apps in before Thanksgiving, and if you're currently in the 150's, you should be able to hit a much more respectable score by October. I went from PT'ing in the low 150's to a 171. You can do it.

You have no idea how much I wish I was you right now :/. Thanks though, looks like I might just take your advice and not apply for this cycle...again. So, just to clarify, applying to random T3 schools like Chapman (which is something I kinda wanta see if I'd get into) is NOT a good idea because reapplying next year makes me look bad, correct?

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:19 pm

your LSAT score is below average after 3 takes. You should consider yourself disqualified.

BELOW AVERAGE.

LSHopeful123

Postby LSHopeful123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:your LSAT score is below average after 3 takes. You should consider yourself disqualified.

BELOW AVERAGE.

Thanks. :/

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:24 pm

LSHopeful123 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Oyyy veyyy. I know you're right...The truth is just so hard to hear :/ When you say awful job prospects, do you mean the jobs that I'm currently seeing now (i.e. really random office jobs with low wages)? Whoever said, "follow your passion and major in that when you're in college; success will follow" was a liar! Its hard finding a decent job with such a strange major. Wish I figured that out back then...well, at least it was fun. So Whittier and Southwestern are duds?

Go calculate how much debt you would have after graduating from these schools. After that go look at the average first year salary for people graduating those schools that actually find jobs. Your take home, if you find a job, will be less than someone working at McDonalds.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:27 pm

LSHopeful123 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Yes, Whittier and Southwestern are duds. And when I say awful job prospects, I mean there is a huge possibility that you won't be able to find any legal employment. That means you wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars and three years of your life (and potential income) to be in the same exact place you are now. (Your non-legal job prospects might actually be worse since some employers will (wrongly) view you as a flight risk because of your JD.)

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:30 pm

E-mail a bunch of 2L/3Ls at Cooley, Florida Coastal, Phoenix, Barry, Thomas Jefferson - ask them if they have jobs lined up and what they would do if they were you.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:30 pm

Honestly, you're better off self-studying for the bar. Your job prospects are pretty much just as good self-studying as they are going to Chapman, except significantly less expensive. Find out the reading law requirements for California. I think they're pretty straightforward. While you're at it, consider going for your paralegal certificate in case it doesn't work out.

Being a paralegal for the next three years may not be as socially impressive as being able to go around telling everyone that you're in law school, but practically speaking, it makes a lot more sense.

Incidentally, I was probably in your Blueprint class. 2012 with Jay?

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
LSHopeful123 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Go calculate how much debt you would have after graduating from these schools. After that go look at the average first year salary for people graduating those schools that actually find jobs. Your take home, if you find a job, will be less than someone working at McDonalds.

also, for what it's worth working at mcdonalds is much less stress than lawyering. you see people that struggle but work 2-3 jobs and support a family with 3 15-20k jobs a year. yeah, their QOL is awful but you can't be a lawyer with a 2nd job, yet that's what you'd have to do. you can also find a man who'd pay your debt off for you. i doubt any self made man would so you'd likely have to find a kennedy type, which you won't find at 4th tier schools.

LSHopeful123

Postby LSHopeful123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
LSHopeful123 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Yes, Whittier and Southwestern are duds. And when I say awful job prospects, I mean there is a huge possibility that you won't be able to find any legal employment. That means you wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars and three years of your life (and potential income) to be in the same exact place you are now. (Your non-legal job prospects might actually be worse since some employers will (wrongly) view you as a flight risk because of your JD.)

haha, that's a good point. Man, I have some serious thinking to do now. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

LSHopeful123

Postby LSHopeful123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:36 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Honestly, you're better off self-studying for the bar. Your job prospects are pretty much just as good self-studying as they are going to Chapman, except significantly less expensive. Find out the reading law requirements for California. I think they're pretty straightforward. While you're at it, consider going for your paralegal certificate in case it doesn't work out.

Being a paralegal for the next three years may not be as socially impressive as being able to go around telling everyone that you're in law school, but practically speaking, it makes a lot more sense.

Incidentally, I was probably in your Blueprint class. 2012 with Jay?

Haha no, I chose one near my hometown!

Return to “What are my chances?”