H vs. Y (but slightly different circumstances) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
newtothis

New

H vs. Y (but slightly different circumstances)

Post by newtothis » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Dear board,

I realize this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but I'm in a slightly different situation and would be interested in your thoughts. I wonder if the H vs. Y calculus would differ if the chooser had a prestigious fellowship (Rhodes or Marshall Scholarship, for instance). In that case, I imagine fears of getting lost in the crowd at H would be somewhat neutralized? What would the benefits and drawbooks of choosing H or Y be in this instance? Thanks.

TheThriller

Gold

Re: H vs. Y (but slightly different circumstances)

Post by TheThriller » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:25 pm

newtothis wrote:Dear board,

I realize this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but I'm in a slightly different situation and would be interested in your thoughts. I wonder if the H vs. Y calculus would differ if the chooser had a prestigious fellowship (Rhodes or Marshall Scholarship, for instance). In that case, I imagine fears of getting lost in the crowd at H would be somewhat neutralized? What would the benefits and drawbooks of choosing H or Y be in this instance? Thanks.
If you are bright and intelligent enough to be a Rhodes scholar, you can make your own decision between law schools.

This isn't even an attempt at humblebrag, you're just bragging. There is no difference between Harvard and Yale in your situation and honestly there is no difference once you are in law school between the Rhodes scholar, the Fulbright scholar and the other students.
Last edited by TheThriller on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:29 pm

newtothis wrote:I wonder if the H vs. Y calculus would differ if the chooser had a prestigious fellowship (Rhodes or Marshall Scholarship, for instance).
I am wondering what employer you think is going to regard this as a game-changer.

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:00 pm

For someone with a prestigious fellowship to produce a thread of such fail...

:|

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:19 pm

IAFG wrote:
newtothis wrote:I wonder if the H vs. Y calculus would differ if the chooser had a prestigious fellowship (Rhodes or Marshall Scholarship, for instance).
I am wondering what employer you think is going to regard this as a game-changer.
This. I pray to god OP is a troll.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:20 pm

Just go to Yale. There are lots of people at HLS with prestigious scholarships, fellowships, etc. It's not like a Rhodes will be a dime a dozen at Yale and unheard of at HLS.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:24 pm

If you did H undergrad go to Y; if you did Y undergrad go to H. Just my opinion. Other than that go to Yale.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:42 pm

You're an ass.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:02 am

Go to Yale.

I'm not saying this because there's some special difference as a Rhodes or Fulbright scholar that makes Yale better for you. I'm saying it because you obviously care a lot about prestige and the weight that it lifts for you. Yale is more prestigious within the legal community, and you won't get to put "accepted to Yale; declined" on your job applications.

Be the prestige whore that you are. Go to Yale, to prove you got into Yale. That is, assuming you can get in...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:05 am

vanwinkle wrote:Go to Yale.

I'm not saying this because there's some special difference as a Rhodes or Fulbright scholar that makes Yale better for you. I'm saying it because you obviously care a lot about prestige and the weight that it lifts for you. Yale is more prestigious within the legal community, and you won't get to put "accepted to Yale; declined" on your job applications.

Be the prestige whore that you are. Go to Yale, to prove you got into Yale. That is, assuming you can get in...
Remember the old days, when we told people to wait until they had acceptances before they started threads like this?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:12 am

IAFG wrote:Remember the old days, when we told people to wait until they had acceptances before they started threads like this?
Yeah, I wasted a lot of time locking threads back then. Mocking people is more fun though.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:12 am

IMO a Rhodes Scholarship isn't that prestigious.

newtothis

New

Post by newtothis » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:47 am

but.. but... I'm also an Olympian.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:07 am

newtothis wrote:Dear board,

Dear new to this,

I think your best bet is to go to the UK and get a law degree there. Even Harvard isn't douchey enough for you.

Good luck!

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:52 am

IAFG wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Go to Yale.

Remember the old days, when we told people to wait until they had acceptances before they started threads like this?
Yes, good point. I think you should take Gtown with 60k over Duke. Especially since you will stand out at Gtown with your rhodes scholar.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:05 am

newtothis wrote:but.. but... I'm also an Olympian.

Well played OP.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:57 pm

Aw come on; you could've milked more out of this topic.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Crowing wrote:
Aw come on; you could've milked more out of this topic.
give him a break he's new to this

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”