Applying for fall 2013. What are my Chances? Please Help!!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mbarrita

Applying for fall 2013. What are my Chances? Please Help!!

Postby mbarrita » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 am

I am a 1.5 generation Mexican-American male. I graduated from UCLA with a 3.5 with double majors and a minor. I'm providing an addendum for the low GPA; my father died and as a result I became head of house. Consequently, I sustained my family throughout most of my undergrad. However, 6 of my 9 quarters attended at UCLA I earned a 3.67 - 3.84?

I am a community college transfer student who has strong extracurricular activities: student body vice and president of my college with major things accomplished, such as a $2.3 million student success program established with the school and other things.

I'm applying to UCLA under the ED program and also to the Critical Race Studies Program. I'm also writing a socioeconomic addendum as I've had to sustain my family throughout my undergrad, and I am Oaxacan-Mexican, a minority within a minority.

My questions are:

1. How much will my addendum mitigate my GPA in comparison to my 6/9 quarters of GPAs from a 3.67 to a 3.84.
2. Will a 160 get me in, and if not, what score will?
3. Under the programs I'm applying under, can I retake the LSAT in December and still be considered for ED or CRS?

WhiskeynCoke

Re: Applying for fall 2013. What are my Chances? Please Help!!

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm applying to UCLA under the ED program

DO NOT ED ANYWHERE! This is an incredibly important point to grasp right now. Devote 3 months to a year to get the best LSAT score you can get. 170+ and you're golden. Even 165+ could do wonders. Being a URM with a very powerful story, you can get a bunch of full ride offers from the T14. I would definitely throw an app to Berkeley. If you ED to UCLA you will destroy your full ride chances, and perhaps be stuck paying sticker for a school you would've otherwise gotten $$$ from.

Anonymous4444

Postby Anonymous4444 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:10 pm

160 is tough but you may get in. id retake the lsat and rock it and try to get $.

North

Postby North » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:21 am

You need to aim higher. You're obviously intelligent. Study for the LSAT (go to the LSAT prep section of this forum), get a 170, then go to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. With a little work, UCLA will be far beneath you.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:24 pm

mbarrita wrote:1. How much will my addendum mitigate my GPA in comparison to my 6/9 quarters of GPAs from a 3.67 to a 3.84.
3. Under the programs I'm applying under, can I retake the LSAT in December and still be considered for ED or CRS?

1. It wont
2. No. You need to be closer to median (168)
3. Dont ED. Not worth sticker. ED wont really help you anyway. You are below both medians, so there is no incentive for a school to lock you up.

Retake

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Nova wrote:
mbarrita wrote:1. How much will my addendum mitigate my GPA in comparison to my 6/9 quarters of GPAs from a 3.67 to a 3.84.

1. It wont
2. No. You need to be closer to median (168)
3. Dont ED. Not worth sticker. ED wont really help you anyway. You are below both medians, so there is no incentive for a school to lock you up.

Retake

you missed the URM bump.
Still, retake

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:08 pm

I actually did not. OP is 8 points below the median LSAT + below the median GPA. Theyll need more than a bump to over come that. Theyll need like 2 rails.

OP, your numbers are fine for SMU/Baylor/Florida type schools. Check out the Baylor data dump on ATL to see that your numbers are in line with thhe MA's accepted to Baylor last cycle.

If you want UCLA, you should write your own ticket. Score 165+ and youll be a safe bet. 168+ and they will roll out the red carpet while throwing $$ at you.

Return to “What are my chances?”