What are my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Clarissa

What are my chances?

Postby Clarissa » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:17 pm

Thank you everyone for the positive advice:))
Last edited by Clarissa on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tim.janitor

Re: What are my chances?

Postby tim.janitor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Clarissa wrote:Hi guys! I am in the process of applying to law schools right now. I have a GPA of 2.9 and LSAT of 143. I am re-taking the LSAT October 6. Please help me! Which schools do you think I might have a chance at? I have a very good background most schools will probably like but I know that numbers matter a LOT. Any advice on which schools I should apply to is very much appreciated. Thank you so much and please no negativity. My GPA and LSAT score are not a reflection of me and my work ethic, although I do believe my GPA would be higher if I didn't have to work so many hours to support myself through school. I am a transfer student and maintained a 3.9 at my previous college before moving to another coast to study elsewhere. Thanks! :D :D

http://lawschoolsewagepitprofiles.wordpress.com

Clarissa

Postby Clarissa » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Does that mean I have only a chance at any of those schools listed?!

tim.janitor

Postby tim.janitor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Clarissa wrote:Does that mean I have only a chance at any of those schools listed?!

No, not at all. Just be careful of those. :!:

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:46 pm

Flame

Clarissa

Postby Clarissa » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Flame means what exactly...

tim.janitor

Postby tim.janitor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Clarissa wrote:Hi guys! I am in the process of applying to law schools right now. I have a GPA of 2.9 and LSAT of 143. I am re-taking the LSAT October 6. Please help me! Which schools do you think I might have a chance at? I have a very good background most schools will probably like but I know that numbers matter a LOT. Any advice on which schools I should apply to is very much appreciated. Thank you so much and please no negativity. My GPA and LSAT score are not a reflection of me and my work ethic, although I do believe my GPA would be higher if I didn't have to work so many hours to support myself through school. I am a transfer student and maintained a 3.9 at my previous college before moving to another coast to study elsewhere. Thanks! :D :D

Flame. But if not, don't go to law school. At least not without bringing up that LSAT by 20 points minimum. In that case you may have a shot at a half-way decent school. But you need to improve by about 30 points to have a shot at a top school. A 30 point increase is very unlikely. This isn't negative BTW: just realistic.

Clarissa

Postby Clarissa » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Thank you! Do you know if they'll consider my transcripts from my previous school or just my current GPA?

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:57 pm

Clarissa wrote:Thank you! Do you know if they'll consider my transcripts from my previous school or just my current GPA?

The only number that will matter is your LSDAS GPA which will take into account your grades from all of the undergrads you attended. The LSAC calculates your LSDAS GPA after you send all your transcripts to them but if you want to know what it's going to be beforehand you can use an online calculator such as: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm.

Clarissa

Postby Clarissa » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Ok, thanks!

theprophet89

Postby theprophet89 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:54 am

Don't go to law school.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:02 am

The only valuable piece of advice this thread can give you is this so pay attention:

You have to retake the LSAT and score at least 160 to consider going to law school. You could get in to multiple schools with your current stats, but you wouldn't want to go to any of them. Research the law market, kids from most top national schools are having hard times finding work.

dowu

Postby dowu » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:12 am

Br3v wrote:The only valuable piece of advice this thread can give you is this so pay attention:

You have to retake the LSAT and score at least 160 to consider going to law school. You could get in to multiple schools with your current stats, but you wouldn't want to go to any of them. Research the law market, kids from most top national schools are having hard times finding work.

+1.

Also, any chance that you're a URM? (under represented minority)

Clarissa

Postby Clarissa » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:39 am

I have been studying and plan to raise my score. I am taking the KAPLAN practice test today at my school so hopefully my studying will yield improvement today :D :D I am
nmop_apisdn wrote:
Br3v wrote:The only valuable piece of advice this thread can give you is this so pay attention:

+1.

I am an under represented minority. Does that increase my chances?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:04 am

Clarissa wrote:I have been studying and plan to raise my score. I am taking the KAPLAN practice test today at my school so hopefully my studying will yield improvement today :D :D I am
nmop_apisdn wrote:

+1.

Yes, do you happen to be African American or a native American? You don't have to answer, but those are the two that give the biggest benefit in terms of admissions. Now my advice about 160 still stands but is even more important. With a 160 you can get into a really good school, though I'm no expert on URM admissions so you should check out the URM section of this site to ask for specific advice.

Clarissa

Postby Clarissa » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Br3v wrote:
Clarissa wrote:I have been studying and plan to raise my score. I am taking the KAPLAN practice test today at my school so hopefully my studying will yield improvement today :D :D I am
nmop_apisdn wrote:

+1.

Yes, do you happen to be African American or a native American? You don't have to answer, but those are the two that give the biggest benefit in terms of admissions. Now my advice about 160 still stands but is even more important. With a 160 you can get into a really good school, though I'm no expert on URM admissions so you should check out the URM section of this site to ask for specific advice.

I am. I am now registering for a Kaplan course then I will sit the LSAT again in December. I believe that is my best option right now. thanks so much for the info :D :D

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Clarissa wrote:
I am. I am now registering for a Kaplan course then I will sit the LSAT again in December. I believe that is my best option right now. thanks so much for the info :D :D

Oh Clarissa, have you already registered and paid for Kaplan? Please please say that you haven't and that you instead decided to do a thoughtful search on which companies are considered the best?

I'd recommend Testmasters, Powerscore or Manhattan before Kaplan.

dowu

Postby dowu » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Clarissa wrote:I am. I am now registering for a Kaplan course then I will sit the LSAT again in December. I believe that is my best option right now. thanks so much for the info :D :D

I would NOT register for Kaplan. I took Kaplan at one point and it was terrible. Hopefully you'll see this before it's too late. Register for a different prep company, seriously.

Clarissa

Postby Clarissa » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:08 pm

I haven't registered yet. Thanks I am looking into other ones.

grassynome

Postby grassynome » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:28 pm

Clarissa, don't give up on studying, I started at a 141 (I am notoriously bad at standardized tests) but I will be taking the LSAT for my 3rd time in october and currently the highest score I have received on a pretest is a 165. So it is definitely possible to improve your score, just focus on the sections that you need the most improvement on and take it one step at a time. You'll get there if you really want it.

(PS I have had really good luck with Princeton Reviews classes, satisfaction guarantee means if you do not get your score you wanted, they will allow you to take the course again for free or maybe a small fee)

spicyyoda17

Postby spicyyoda17 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:17 pm

Clarissa wrote:I haven't registered yet. Thanks I am looking into other ones.

I used Kaplan and absolutely loved it. I can't speak to other programs b/c I don't have experience with them. I think Kaplan is a good fit for those that have the maturity to create their own study plan and work against it diligently.

Best of luck!

Clarissa

Postby Clarissa » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Thank You!! I won't give up :D :D

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:30 pm

LOL come on people this is such an obvious flame.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Clarrissa, my advice: don't go to law school. There are 45,000 law graduates every year with only 25,000 job openings for jobs that require a J.D. Your degree will not increase your earnings potential or your happiness enough to be worth the time and money you invest in it. There are plenty of other professions that will be more lucrative and enjoyable all while requiring less work. The conventional (and correct) wisdom regarding law school at present is that it is not worth getting a J.D. unless you can attend 1) one of the top schools or 2) decent private schools (Tulane, BYU, ND, etc) with significant scholarships/full rides, or 3) strong state schools in the state you intend to practice in (preferably in a state without better law schools, such as University of Florida or University of Alabama).

In your case, it looks like you have a chance at none of these options.

Return to “What are my chances?”