3.7, 169. What should I do?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Chickensoup

3.7, 169. What should I do?

Postby Chickensoup » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:54 pm

My numbers are 3.7, 169. Coming straight from the University of MIchigan with a major in Political Science. I am a white male. I want to practice in NY. T14 would be ideal. Which schools should I apply to? These are my guesses for the T14:

HYS - No.
CCN- ED'ing to NYU. Could it work?
MVP - I imagine Michigan will work since I am an alum at both medians. Penn I am not sure. Virginia I am not interested.
DCG - I am hoping I get into all three of these. Not so sure about Duke though.
Northwestern & Berkeley - I am not applying b/c of distance and work experience requirement.

With the down cycle and the fact that I am applying super early (should be done by October 1), what do you think of my chances/predictions? Am I being reasonable? Do you guys have any suggestions for what I should do? Money is important, but job prospects are even more important.

Chickensoup

Re: 3.7, 169. What should I do?

Postby Chickensoup » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Come on, somebody answer lol.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Do you think you could get a 170+ if you retake? The jump from 169 to 170 is pretty big, especially higher in the T14.

Other than that... law school numbers. ;)

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:11 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Do you think you could get a 170+ if you retake? The jump from 169 to 170 is pretty big, especially higher in the T14.

Other than that... law school numbers. ;)

I don't know. I studied pretty hard for that 169. Took a prep class and everything. I was just asking if you generally agree with my assessments. This is a down cycle, so I'm figuring that most of what is on LSN is a little outdated. Or am I wrong about that?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:15 pm

Chickensoup wrote:My numbers are 3.7, 169. Coming straight from the University of MIchigan with a major in Political Science. I am a white male. I want to practice in NY. T14 would be ideal. Which schools should I apply to? These are my guesses for the T14:

HYS - No.
MVP - I imagine Michigan will work since I am an alum at both medians. Penn I am not sure. Virginia I am not interested.
Northwestern & Berkeley - I am not applying b/c of distance and work experience requirement.

With the down cycle and the fact that I am applying super early (should be done by October 1), what do you think of my chances/predictions? Am I being reasonable? Do you guys have any suggestions for what I should do? Money is important, but job prospects are even more important.

Based on this last cycle, I think you are safe DCG and I would ED to Penn. I don't think NYU is going to happen, unless this cycle is even weirder. Don't bet on Michigan, they are very particular. I have a friend at Cornell with your same stats and a UM undergrad...was flat out rejected last cycle. ED to Penn

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:17 pm

Chickensoup wrote:My numbers are 3.7, 169. Coming straight from the University of MIchigan with a major in Political Science. I am a white male. I want to practice in NY. T14 would be ideal. Which schools should I apply to? These are my guesses for the T14:

HYS - No.

I think an ED to NYU may have a slim chance b/c of the down cycle. No at Chicago and Columbia. Michigan and Penn have shots at around 45%. I think Cornell and Georgetown are good possibilities. IMO a retake could help with $$ with your GPA. If you can do better then take again.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:

HYS - No.

I think an ED to NYU may have a slim chance b/c of the down cycle. No at Chicago and Columbia. Michigan and Penn have shots at around 45%. I think Cornell and Georgetown are good possibilities. IMO a retake could help with $$ with your GPA. If you can do better then take again.

Kind of an unrelated question, but I left off some minor stuff on my application. Will that affect me? For example, I forgot to list my positions on the employment section. I listed my jobs but not my specific position title. It wasn't required but I don't like that I forgot to put it on there.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:

HYS - No.

Kind of an unrelated question, but I left off some minor stuff on my application. Will that affect me? For example, I forgot to list my positions on the employment section. I listed my jobs but not my specific position title. It wasn't required but I don't like that I forgot to put it on there.

I am not sure I am qualified to speak on this b/c I am a 0L, however I dont think it should. You should provide a resume and it should have those positions listed.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:

HYS - No.

I am not sure I am qualified to speak on this b/c I am a 0L, however I dont think it should. You should provide a resume and it should have those positions listed.

Yeah, my resume had all of that stuff on it. I just thought it looked a little sloppy leaving it off. There's not much I can do now though.

I find this whole application process very stressful. I hated doing it back in High School and I think I might hate it even more now haha.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:03 pm

See myLSN stats in your other thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=193857.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:

HYS - No.

You have to stop relying on lawschoolpredictor. It's worthless. OP has zero chance at NYU and very little chance at Penn.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:

HYS - No.

You have to stop relying on lawschoolpredictor. It's worthless. OP has zero chance at NYU and very little chance at Penn.

What about this supposed down cycle? Little to no effect?

googlesearch

Postby googlesearch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:15 am

Ti Malice wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:

HYS - No.

Why is LSP worthless?

Postby 2014 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:30 am

Cosign ED to Penn. No chance at UVA, trivially low chance at NYU and none at CC.

There is a possibility Penn's median dropped to 169 this year and if not this year an even greater possibility it does next year. I think EDing is probably your only shot and it is the best possible outcome school-wise. Hopefully you will have MDCG RD as plan Bs.

Eta:
googlesearch wrote:Why is LSP worthless?

dk if the person you are asking was going this direction, but last cycle was a departure from the norm and LSP is still going off of prior data. There have always been anecdotes but last year it seemed commonplace for people to get into a bunch of weak considers or even denies on LSP just because schools are bleeding apps and have to fill seats with someone.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

I'm going in a bit of a different direction.

LSP aggregates LSAT and GPA data and constructs a "smooth" index formula for each school. These indices take no account of stark discontinuities in schools' considerations of numbers -- such as the existence of GPA floors, or the critical importance (for non-URM applicants) of having one number above a given school's median.

There are other issues. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=190277&p=5753934#p5753934.

googlesearch

Postby googlesearch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:39 am

Ti Malice wrote:I'm going in a bit of a different direction.

LSP aggregates LSAT and GPA data and constructs a "smooth" index formula for each school. These indices take no account of stark discontinuities in schools' considerations of numbers -- such as the existence of GPA floors, or the critical importance (for non-URM applicants) of having one number above a given school's median.

There are other issues. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=190277&p=5753934#p5753934.

Okay, I get the problem. At the same time, I feel as though LSN is a self-selecting sample. Sure, you get to see more information if the applicant provides it, but ultimately it's an unrepresentative sample. No? And by the same token, you're not reading their PS or resume either so there's few insights beyond numbers.

But at least you see denials unlike LSP which compares you only to those admitted.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Not terribly concerned about Penn, NYU, etc.

Want to know about Duke, Georgetown, and Cornell. What should I expect from those three?

Also, is there a big difference in employment outcomes for those schools? I plan on working in NY, so I would like to attend a school that presents a decent opportunity to do so.

googlesearch

Postby googlesearch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Chickensoup wrote:Not terribly concerned about Penn, NYU, etc.

Want to know about Duke, Georgetown, and Cornell. What should I expect from those three?

Also, is there a big difference in employment outcomes for those schools? I plan on working in NY, so I would like to attend a school that presents a decent opportunity to do so.

Do a GULC interview. Their GPA is much lower than Penn.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:44 pm

googlesearch wrote:

Why? Aren't my numbers pretty much a "lock" for Cornell? What benefit would G'town have over Cornell?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:08 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
googlesearch wrote:

Why? Aren't my numbers pretty much a "lock" for Cornell? What benefit would G'town have over Cornell?

Nothing, unless you want DC. It has lower employment stats and it is just a degree mill. THey crank out like 400 JD's a year

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:09 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
googlesearch wrote:

Nothing, unless you want DC. It has lower employment stats and it is just a degree mill. THey crank out like 400 JD's a year

Yeah, I don't really see the benefit of going there over Cornell. I am from NY/want to stay there, so Cornell just makes a lot more sense.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:26 am

Just apply to Cornell after they get back to me. THANKS!

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:33 pm

iMisto wrote:Just apply to Cornell after they get back to me. THANKS!

Already applied.

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:07 pm

Don't know why you would prefer Cornell over Penn, but to answer your most recent question for NYC there is really no reason at all to go to GULC over any school ranked higher than it.

Return to “What are my chances?”