Early Decision Penn Law-3.93, 170

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
moneyball026

Early Decision Penn Law-3.93, 170

Postby moneyball026 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:24 pm

Hello,

I think Penn law is my top choice but I am not sure if I want to apply early. With a 3.93 GPA and 170 LSAT coming from Temple (a sub-par undergrad), but with strong post-grad work experience, do you think I need to apply early to get intoPenn?

Does it hurt that I came from a sub-par school and spent 1 semester at community college, even if that semester did not count towards my GPA?

Will applying early also give me a chance at a merit scholarship?

EDIT: Someone posted saying my actual GPA is not just my Temple GPA. So my GPA is actually 3.81 for all institutions. Sorry!!!
Last edited by moneyball026 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tiago Splitter

Re: Early Decision Penn Law-3.93, 170

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Don't apply ED. You'll have a good chance at big money from Penn if you apply RD.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Do not apply ED to Penn! That would be an incredibly foolish decision with your numbers, assuming they are correct (see below). The fact that you went to Temple will not hurt you. As the data from the last two cycles shows, admission to Penn is yours to lose (NYU looks great, too): http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=d16r8. Unless something is seriously wrong with some other aspect of your application, you're almost certainly getting in. Why hand them a signed contract that grants them all of the leverage in this relationship? They will have no incentive to offer you the same scholarship money as you would receive with a RD application. You need to apply broadly in the T14 and then use other scholarship offers to negotiate for money at your preferred schools.

One important caveat: Is 3.93 your LSDAS GPA, or just your Temple GPA? The LSAC will count your community college grades in their computation of your LSDAS GPA. If you do not yet know your LSDAS GPA, it's too early to determine how you should proceed. You can determine what your LSDAS GPA will be with this tool: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:58 pm

ED Chicago, dude. Penn will give you a bunch of money RD.

moneyball026

Postby moneyball026 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:06 pm

"One important caveat: Is 3.93 your LSDAS GPA, or just your Temple GPA? The LSAC will count your community college grades in their computation of your LSDAS GPA. If you do not yet know your LSDAS GPA, it's too early to determine how you should proceed. You can determine what your LSDAS GPA will be with this tool: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm.

I actually think you're right. The 3.93 is my Temple GPA. My LSDAS GPA is 3.81. How much does this change things?
Last edited by moneyball026 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:10 pm

moneyball026 wrote:
"One important caveat: Is 3.93 your LSDAS GPA, or just your Temple GPA? The LSAC will count your community college grades in their computation of your LSDAS GPA. If you do not yet know your LSDAS GPA, it's too early to determine how you should proceed. You can determine what your LSDAS GPA will be with this tool: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm.

I actually think you're right. The 3.93 is my Temple GPA. My LSDAS GPA is 3.82. How much does this change things?

still above median. Still shouldn't ED

moneyball026

Postby moneyball026 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:13 pm

Probably won't get money though, right? Damn....

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:15 pm

moneyball026 wrote:Probably won't get money though, right? Damn....

well, you're at the LSAT median and above the gpa median (I think).
You should get money IMO

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:21 pm

Do not apply ED. The only school I know of that 100% gives money for ED is NU. 150k to ED applicants. With numbers like those you should be competitive.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:27 pm

moneyball026 wrote:

I actually think you're right. The 3.93 is my Temple GPA. My LSDAS GPA is 3.81. How much does this change things?

Then you have a 3.81 GPA. Law schools only give a shit about the number they report to U.S. News, which is your LSDAS GPA.

But the point stands. Don't ED to Penn.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:53 pm

http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=qv8nw

He'll probably get money. And by "probably" I mean, if he writes an LOCI that says "If you give me 60k, I'll for sure attend", he'll definitely get money.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:37 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
moneyball026 wrote:

I actually think you're right. The 3.93 is my Temple GPA. My LSDAS GPA is 3.82. How much does this change things?

still above median. Still shouldn't ED

3.82 is actually slightly below Penn's median GPA. Either way, the OP still stands a great shot at getting in RD with $$.

Also, OP: going to a "sub-par" school like Temple won't hurt you a lick. Combined, there are close to 20 Penn State, Pitt, and Temple alumni in my class.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:13 pm

You're definitely getting into Chicago or NYU. Don't ED to Penn. Get scholarships and negotiate between Chicago, NYU, and Penn.

Stanford and Harvard aren't out of the equation either, especially Stanford.

Edit- Nevermind. LS GPA of 3.81 changes things. I definitely still think you're Chicago and/or NYU, but Harvard and Stanford become much more difficult.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:43 pm

Am I missing something? It's very possible I am, but while everyone is saying how he can expect money at Penn and gimme acceptances at Chicago and NYU, LSN shows his numbers largely in a sea of yellow.

I'm certainly not advocating an ED to Penn, just wondering if this cycle is really supposed to be that different from my cycle last year.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:44 am

bobbyh1919 wrote:Am I missing something? It's very possible I am, but while everyone is saying how he can expect money at Penn and gimme acceptances at Chicago and NYU, LSN shows his numbers largely in a sea of yellow.

I'm certainly not advocating an ED to Penn, just wondering if this cycle is really supposed to be that different from my cycle last year.

A lot of yellow turned green, or would if people hadn't withdrawn before. Also, this year is probably gonna be even better for applicants than last year.

moneyball026

Postby moneyball026 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! I don't think I'll apply early after all.

I am a rookie at the process and these boards, could someone please talk about why this year the application process will be a little easier than in years past?

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:14 pm

moneyball026 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys! I don't think I'll apply early after all.

I am a rookie at the process and these boards, could someone please talk about why this year the application process will be a little easier than in years past?

Short version: The number of applicants has declined for two consecutive cycles and will almost certainly decline again this year (June LSAT takers decreased ~6% from last year). Accordingly, schools are finding it increasingly difficult to maintain medians. Your numbers are harder for schools to come by now than they were three years ago, which makes you a more desirable applicant.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
moneyball026 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys! I don't think I'll apply early after all.

Short version: The number of applicants has declined for two consecutive cycles and will almost certainly decline again this year (June LSAT takers decreased ~6% from last year). Accordingly, schools are finding it increasingly difficult to maintain medians. Your numbers are harder for schools to come by now than they were three years ago, which makes you a more desirable applicant.

mostly this refers to higher LSAT's. Since you're at their median, you're basically sure to get in.

moneyball026

Re: Early Decision Penn Law-3.81*, 170

Postby moneyball026 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks for the help, everyone! I wish I couldve retitled this post with my actual 3.81 GPA, but even knowing that my GPA is actually worse than I originally expected, I won't be applying early to Penn. Your advice was really helpful. I think my final list will look like this:

NYU, Chicago, Penn, UVA, Michigan, NU, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, UCLA, GW, Temple, Villanova (I'm from Philadephia, that's why).

Hopefully I get some money from those top tier schools.

Thanks again!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:34 am

moneyball026 wrote:Thanks for the help, everyone! I wish I couldve retitled this post with my actual 3.81 GPA, but even knowing that my GPA is actually worse than I originally expected, I won't be applying early to Penn. Your advice was really helpful. I think my final list will look like this:

NYU, Chicago, Penn, UVA, Michigan, NU, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, UCLA, GW, Temple, Villanova (I'm from Philadephia, that's why).

Thanks again!

Edit the subject line in the original post

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:39 am

moneyball026 wrote:Thanks for the help, everyone! I wish I couldve retitled this post with my actual 3.81 GPA, but even knowing that my GPA is actually worse than I originally expected, I won't be applying early to Penn. Your advice was really helpful. I think my final list will look like this:

Thanks again!

Don't listen to ppl who tell you otherwise. Go to Penn, man. Stick to your roots.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks again!

Throw apps to Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia. They're worth a shot.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks again!

Not to be a jerk, but if you end up at Villanova with your numbers then you deserve whatever terrible consequences await you in 3 years. If you must ED, do it to NU and get full tuition scholly.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:42 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:Not to be a jerk, but if you end up at Villanova with your numbers then you deserve whatever terrible consequences await you in 3 years.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Return to “What are my chances?”