172 LSAT/2.72 LSAC GPA - chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lasergal

172 LSAT/2.72 LSAC GPA - chances?

Postby lasergal » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:10 am

I went to a T25 college and graduated with a 3.1 UG GPA (2.72 LSAC GPA). I scored a 172 on the LSAT.

My grades from my first two years in college are terrible, but they improved significantly during my last two years (after I resolved some personal/family issues and changed my major from chemistry to political science).

Soft factors: I have 3 years of work experience at a national law firm. I am also Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander (there seems to be a debate over whether or not Pacific Islanders are URMs, but I wanted to include my ethnicity in case it helps).

What are my chances at a T30 school? What schools should I consider based on my stats?
Last edited by lasergal on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ti Malice

Re: 172 LSAT/2.72 LSAC GPA - chances?

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:43 am

With your work experience, you have a fighting chance at Northwestern. Others can speak to whether UVA is still a possibility with your GPA; perhaps they've had to soften their GPA floor. You would be a virtual lock for WUSTL and pretty close to the same for Minnesota. As a splitter, however, the conventional wisdom is that you need to get your apps in pretty early for T14 law schools (though this seems to be changing with schools' increasing desperation to maintain medians). Read Samara's guide for splitters: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=162680.

It's ridiculous that Native Hawaiians are not part of the official URM classification, but that's the way it is. Others can speak with more authority on this, but what I've read indicates that your ethnicity should still give you a bit of a boost at many schools.

Return to “What are my chances?”