with the lower lsat numbers at NYU this year... any chance?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
domori

with the lower lsat numbers at NYU this year... any chance?

Postby domori » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:10 am

according to the new stats (http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadmissions/applicants/classprofile/index.htm)
the new 25th/75th seem to have gone down a point to 169/173 with 3.5/3.8
my numbers are 165/170, 3.64.
what do you guys think my chances are if I ED? Do you guys think the lower numbers mean anything?

justonemoregame

Re: with the lower lsat numbers at NYU this year... any chance?

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:16 am

I think it depends on what NYU's median is, and what LSAT median they shoot for this upcoming cycle, which will in part depend on the number of October/Dec. test takers. If they think they can get a 171/172 median, that's no good obv.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:15 am

It is frustrating that they haven't released their new median. There has been speculation that it could be as low as 170, though I am personally convinced it is a 171. If you don't care about EDing anywhere else, go for it. But you could ED at Penn with those numbers and I think you would have a very good shot.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:32 am

francesfarmer wrote:It is frustrating that they haven't released their new median. There has been speculation that it could be as low as 170, though I am personally convinced it is a 171. If you don't care about EDing anywhere else, go for it. But you could ED at Penn with those numbers and I think you would have a very good shot.

Anyone want to weigh in here on the ED penn suggestion?

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Br3v wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:It is frustrating that they haven't released their new median. There has been speculation that it could be as low as 170, though I am personally convinced it is a 171. If you don't care about EDing anywhere else, go for it. But you could ED at Penn with those numbers and I think you would have a very good shot.

Anyone want to weigh in here on the ED penn suggestion?

I'm bored at work and gonna weigh in again via this ED Penn v. UMich thread by an OP with a lower GPA than our dear OP:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=192409&hilit=Penn+median

Postby 02889 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:41 pm

domori wrote:according to the new stats (http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadmissions/applicants/classprofile/index.htm)
what do you guys think my chances are if I ED? Do you guys think the lower numbers mean anything?

I've got a 170 and a slightly higher GPA, and I've recently come around to the idea of EDing NYU as well. I think we both have a decent chance of getting in off the waitlist sometime in May or June if we apply RD, but ED might put us over the edge for an acceptance in December. I say go for it if you've got strong reasons for preferring NYU over Penn.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:49 pm

02889 wrote:
domori wrote:according to the new stats (http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadmissions/applicants/classprofile/index.htm)

I've got a 170 and a slightly higher GPA, and I've recently come around to the idea of EDing NYU as well. I think we both have a decent chance of getting in off the waitlist sometime in May or June if we apply RD, but ED might put us over the edge for an acceptance in December. I say go for it if you've got strong reasons for preferring NYU over Penn.

With a 3.7+ you are good, IMO. Their old GPA median from LSN is 3.71.

domori

Postby domori » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:09 pm

Well I love NYC and my goal is to ultimately get a biglaw in NY.
I know that Penn also places well in NY but I keep thinking why wait 3 more years when you can move there next year? On the other hand, I believe my chances are better at Penn and I'm afraid if I ED NYU, there's a higher possibility of striking out at both and since my goal is NY biglaw, I'm really not interested in other t7~14 schools...
One more question - If I do ED Penn and end up there, how well would I have to do to transfer to NYU/CLS after 1L?

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:17 pm

With the level of difficulty of xferring in LS + the stigma associated with the practice, I wouldn't ever go into LS with it even as a backup plan.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:21 pm

Crowing wrote:With the level of difficulty of xferring in LS + the stigma associated with the practice, I wouldn't ever go into LS with it even as a backup plan.

This.

lilhugsy24

Postby lilhugsy24 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Since you seem to really want NYU why don't you just

NYU ED --> UPenn 2nd Round ED.

I think with an ED to Penn you're pretty much a lock, but you seem to really prefer NYU so you could do 2nd Round ED option with Penn instead if NYU moves you to RD or puts you on waitlist. But no one is going to be able to tell you if this round of ED helps as much as the first round.

Someone correct if I'm wrong though.

Edit: Not sure how difficult this process is, but couldn't OP just be a visiting student to NYU after 1L if they went to Penn?

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:45 pm

lilhugsy24 wrote:Since you seem to really want NYU why don't you just

I think with an ED to Penn you're pretty much a lock, but you seem to really prefer NYU so you could do 2nd Round ED option with Penn instead if NYU moves you to RD or puts you on waitlist. But no one is going to be able to tell you if this round of ED helps as much as the first round.

Edit: Not sure how difficult this process is, but couldn't OP just be a visiting student to NYU after 1L if they went to Penn?

Your suggestion is pretty brills. I forgot Penn has this whole second round ED thing. OP should heavily consider that!

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:52 pm

The bolded is the million dollar question with this new ED round. I guess we could look at UVA... do later ED's tend not to benefit as much as earlier ones? (Not necessarily asking you, but that might be something to look at)

lilhugsy24

Postby lilhugsy24 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:18 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:

The bolded is the million dollar question with this new ED round. I guess we could look at UVA... do later ED's tend not to benefit as much as earlier ones? (Not necessarily asking you, but that might be something to look at)

It's less benefit for big splitters (Ex. 3.1/173) in that UVA prefers to fill up these kinds splitters earlier on in the cycle with its 2 week notification so later on there are less spots for splitters who ED in say January and so can be slightly riskier than the usual early ED. But it's still pretty good as UVA loves splitters.

I think what Penn may be trying to do with this 2nd round ED is to lock up some of the mild splitters like OP that get waitlisted or rejected by CCN. I feel like 2nd round ED wouldn't be as beneficial to people who have below 3.3 GPAs. I'm guessing it would be better for those who have higher GPA's like the OP.

For someone like OP who heavily prefers New York then the best option is probably

ED NYU --> ED Penn 2nd Round --> ED UVA

What do you guys think?

Edit: OP any chance of you retaking? 2 points more and you have a shot at CCN RD maybe with some money.

domori

Postby domori » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:35 pm

I thought about retaking once more but I'm helping my uncle with his business these days and can't really find the time to study. I'm trying to at least send in the apps early.
So I take that sending in Penn app after I hear back from NYU in December for 2nd round of ED would be more beneficial rather than sending in RD app late Sept/early Oct?

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:47 pm

I'm planning NYU -> Penn -> UVA as my ED strategy assuming I don't get any RD acceptances in that time.

lilhugsy24

Postby lilhugsy24 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:02 pm

domori wrote:So I take that sending in Penn app after I hear back from NYU in December for 2nd round of ED would be more beneficial rather than sending in RD app late Sept/early Oct?

Honestly, that is not something anyone is going to be able to answer for you. It just depends on what you want to do. I think you have an ok shot RD Penn so you could always ED NYU and RD Penn.

Who knows maybe Penn will let you switch your app to ED if you get waitlisted. This is something UVA allows, but no one will know about Penn until after this cycle.

Besides you might get into NYU and not even have have to worry about all this lol. Good luck with the cycle and HTH

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Crowing wrote:I'm planning NYU -> Penn -> UVA as my ED strategy assuming I don't get any RD acceptances in that time.

According to AppReqs, you cannot ED another law school if waitlisted/rejected at NY, Columbia, Chicago, Northwestern...you'd better check out again. But still you can Penn --> UVA --> GTown though.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:51 am

lovejopd wrote:
Crowing wrote:I'm planning NYU -> Penn -> UVA as my ED strategy assuming I don't get any RD acceptances in that time.

According to AppReqs, you cannot ED another law school if waitlisted/rejected at NY, Columbia, Chicago, Northwestern...you'd better check out again. But still you can Penn --> UVA --> GTown though.

I've seen the statement, but I thought it just meant you cannot ED to NYU after having been rejected ED anywhere else. I didn't think it also worked the other way (can't ED elsewhere after ED NYU). Can anybody confirm this either way?

Nat Sherman

Postby Nat Sherman » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:59 pm

Crowing wrote:
lovejopd wrote:

I've seen the statement, but I thought it just meant you cannot ED to NYU after having been rejected ED anywhere else. I didn't think it also worked the other way (can't ED elsewhere after ED NYU). Can anybody confirm this either way?

How would NYU have any standing to make such a statement? After you're rejected by NYU what could they possibly do? Only if you got WL after Eding they could rescind an acceptance if they found out you sent out an ED somewhere else, but frankly if you had the stats to get off the WL at NYU you probably have the stats that you would get in where ever you ED after that, so that fact becomes irrelevant.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:16 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:45 pm

I am retaking Oct,

but for kicks how does a 168/3.68 weigh in on this?

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:46 am

domori wrote:Well I love NYC and my goal is to ultimately get a biglaw in NY.
I know that Penn also places well in NY but I keep thinking why wait 3 more years when you can move there next year? On the other hand, I believe my chances are better at Penn and I'm afraid if I ED NYU, there's a higher possibility of striking out at both and since my goal is NY biglaw, I'm really not interested in other t7~14 schools...
One more question - If I do ED Penn and end up there, how well would I have to do to transfer to NYU/CLS after 1L?

Are you being serious? Transferring from Penn to NYU? This T6 bullshit has got to stop.

Return to “What are my chances?”