Looking for advice on NYU ED

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Looking for advice on NYU ED

Postby 02889 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:18 pm

I'd love some advice. I'm starting to lean towards applying ED to NYU, and am looking for any input on whether I should or shouldn't. Numbers are 3.7/170, so below median LSAT and just below median GPA. No scholarship potential at NYU (besides long-shot at RTK, which I think I at least have the background for, though not the numbers), and kind of minimal chances at Penn (max $25,000) and others, based on LSN. Also, LSN from last year (searching with LSAT 170, GPA 3.65-3.75) shows 6 RD and 0 ED apps, resulting in 1 rejection and 5 WLs, 3 of which turned into acceptances.

Reasons for:
- Unmatched PI opportunities (for example, 23 clinics that interest me v. 2 at Penn)
- Amazing LRAP (important, as I will probably go into PI directly after school)
- Lots of friends in NYC, strong chance of boyfriend being there as well.
- Very slight boost in admissions chances.
- WL-acceptance, which seems my only path to admission RD, eliminates chances at named PI scholarships.
- Very little interest in geographic areas other than urban east coast (NYC, Philly, DC, Boston)

Reasons against:
- Terrifyingly high COL and debt.
- Nagging thoughts that Penn is good enough for PI, and would be a better bargain if I got in with a small scholarship.

And there's where I am. I think an ED acceptance is still a reach, meaning my hesitation about NYU v. Penn for cost might be for nothing. Any suggestions either way? Thanks!

Swimp

Re: Looking for advice on NYU ED

Postby Swimp » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:29 pm

02889 wrote:- Terrifyingly high COL and debt.

I see this a lot on these forums and it bugs me. I don't know whether it's just hearsay from people who don't actually live here or what, but when I first moved to NYC (and I'm talking Manhattan) after college, I survived for about two years on under $20K each year. If you're capable of sticking to a budget and don't mind living simply, the cost of living in NYC doesn't have to be much higher than any other big city.

Debt from law school loans is a whole other issue.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:29 pm

02889 wrote:I'd love some advice. I'm starting to lean towards applying ED to NYU, and am looking for any input on whether I should or shouldn't. Numbers are 3.7/170, so below median LSAT and just below median GPA. No scholarship potential at NYU (besides long-shot at RTK, which I think I at least have the background for, though not the numbers), and kind of minimal chances at Penn (max $25,000) and others, based on LSN. Also, LSN from last year (searching with LSAT 170, GPA 3.65-3.75) shows 6 RD and 0 ED apps, resulting in 1 rejection and 5 WLs, 3 of which turned into acceptances.

Reasons for:
- Unmatched PI opportunities (for example, 23 clinics that interest me v. 2 at Penn)
- Amazing LRAP (important, as I will probably go into PI directly after school)
- Lots of friends in NYC, strong chance of boyfriend being there as well.
- Very slight boost in admissions chances.
- WL-acceptance, which seems my only path to admission RD, eliminates chances at named PI scholarships.
- Very little interest in geographic areas other than urban east coast (NYC, Philly, DC, Boston)

Reasons against:
- Terrifyingly high COL and debt.
- Nagging thoughts that Penn is good enough for PI, and would be a better bargain if I got in with a small scholarship.

And there's where I am. I think an ED acceptance is still a reach, meaning my hesitation about NYU v. Penn for cost might be for nothing. Any suggestions either way? Thanks!

A friend of mine got in ED with a 170 and a 3.8 last cycle. She had two years of work experience as a social worker and went to Barnard. Have fun paying sticker at NYU! I hope to be in the same boat.

Also, I second the poster above. I live in NYC and I made 18k a year or less for two years. Move to Brooklyn, and I don't mean Williamsburg, and you will be fine. I pay $700 a month for rent including utilities and my neighborhood is awesome. Don't believe the hype.

Postby 02889 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks for the responses. I think it's worth a shot, so I'll go with ED. I think I have good softs and work experience, so hopefully that, plus the slightest of boosts in admissions chances with an ED app, will help my numbers. My RD chances seem to point only at a spot on the waitlist, so if that's my ED result, I won't have done any worse.

My concern about costs was focused on being locked into sticker at NYU, rather than really about living expenses. Totally agree with you both that living in Brooklyn, with one or more roommates, will easily keep me under budget.

Return to “What are my chances?”