ED CLS vs Chi - Better choice for splitters? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Rahviveh

Gold

ED CLS vs Chi - Better choice for splitters?

Post by Rahviveh » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:36 pm

Which school would be more receptive to a splitter applying ED? I don't want to waste my ED on them! Other things equal and just trying to maximize my chances, which one should I choose?

Triveal

New

Re: ED CLS vs Chi - Better choice for splitters?

Post by Triveal » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:59 pm

I could be wrong, but I have the impression that neither of them give a particularly huge ED boost. Maybe Columbia? Honestly I'd pick the location you like better.

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:41 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:37 pm

chill wrote:If your profile stats are accurate, you're not a true splitter at either-- you're exactly at their 25th for GPA and above their 75th for LSAT. Glancing at LSN, I think you'd likely be in RD for either, but I'll defer to the experts around here.

That being said, Samara's post on how to be a successful splitter is worth looking up.
Her GPA says "sub-3.6". So, technically a splitter, though not a particularly extreme one.

OP- I've been preparing to apply with numbers somewhat similar to yours (I've been PTing above 175 for a little while and have a 3.5 GPA). From what I've gathered, Chicago is not a good bet for people without very solid GPAs. Columbia is a little bit more of a crapshoot, but with a GPA under their 25%ile, an ED acceptance is unlikely.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:55 pm

CLS is more splitter-friendly overall, but I don't think either school really gives an ED boost tbh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Wasnt Chi particularly unfriendly to splitters last year?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:26 pm

Swimp wrote:
chill wrote:If your profile stats are accurate, you're not a true splitter at either-- you're exactly at their 25th for GPA and above their 75th for LSAT. Glancing at LSN, I think you'd likely be in RD for either, but I'll defer to the experts around here.

That being said, Samara's post on how to be a successful splitter is worth looking up.
Her GPA says "sub-3.6". So, technically a splitter, though not a particularly extreme one.

OP- I've been preparing to apply with numbers somewhat similar to yours (I've been PTing above 175 for a little while and have a 3.5 GPA). From what I've gathered, Chicago is not a good bet for people without very solid GPAs. Columbia is a little bit more of a crapshoot, but with a GPA under their 25%ile, an ED acceptance is unlikely.
Thanks, I'm starting to wonder if it just makes sense to ED NYU.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Why not apply RD all over the T14 and see if you can rack up some skrilla?

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:21 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Swimp wrote:

Thanks, I'm starting to wonder if it just makes sense to ED NYU.
I think EDing NYU would be a waste. You're almost definitely going to get into NYU RD, based on data from past years. If I score on test day the way I have been PTing lately, I'm going to ED CLS. It's certainly not going to hurt, and there's at least a remote possibility that it could help. Why not?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:38 pm

I wouldn't ED to CLS unless you're okay with giving up (likely) 50k~ at NYU. NYU was giving money to waitlisted splitters this last cycle.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:39 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:I wouldn't ED to CLS unless you're okay with giving up (likely) 50k~ at NYU. NYU was giving money to waitlisted splitters this last cycle.
That much?

TrialLawyer16

Bronze

Post by TrialLawyer16 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:42 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Why not apply RD all over the T14 and see if you can rack up some skrilla?
+1 Use that 180 to get some loot

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Am I wrong in thinking there is more safety at the bottom half of the class at CCNP? The fact that 85% of CLS got an offer last summer is the reason why I want to ED there or Chi. Is the situation similarly good at NYU?

I am biglaw or bust so even with scholarships I don't want to attend a place like M or V which seem to have more trouble placing their students at big firms!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Swimp wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:I wouldn't ED to CLS unless you're okay with giving up (likely) 50k~ at NYU. NYU was giving money to waitlisted splitters this last cycle.
That much?
More.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/JammasterJ/jd

This, on the other hand, makes me think OP'd easily pick up CLS regardless.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TiagoSplitter/jd
Is the situation similarly good at NYU?
NYU has a lot of students that self-select towards PI, and it distorts things a little. I think most of TLS would agree that CLS > NYU for job placement, but they're so close that even 30k scholarship could be enough to make you choose NYU over CLS.

TrialLawyer16

Bronze

Post by TrialLawyer16 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:15 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Am I wrong in thinking there is more safety at the bottom half of the class at CCNP? The fact that 85% of CLS got an offer last summer is the reason why I want to ED there or Chi. Is the situation similarly good at NYU?

I am biglaw or bust so even with scholarships I don't want to attend a place like M or V which seem to have more trouble placing their students at big firms!
No, you're right there is a bigger safety net at the bottom half of the class at CCNP. However, just because you ED at CLS or Chi doesn't mean you're going to get in. But if you do get in, what you can almost guarantee is you screwed yourself out of some money. The placement differential between CCNP and M or V isn't big enough to rationalize turning down a boatload of money. You should just apply to every T-14 and see what happens. Then use the money you get to negotiate.

Disclaimer: I understand wanting to keep some anonymity, but you just saying you have a sub-3.6 GPA does leave a lot to the imagination when giving advice.
Last edited by TrialLawyer16 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:18 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Am I wrong in thinking there is more safety at the bottom half of the class at CCNP? The fact that 85% of CLS got an offer last summer is the reason why I want to ED there or Chi. Is the situation similarly good at NYU?

No, you're right there is a bigger safety net at the bottom half of the class at CCNP. However, just because you ED at CLS or Chi doesn't mean you're going to get in. But if you do get in, what you can almost guarantee is you screwed yourself out of some money. You should just apply to every T-14 and see what happens. Then use the money you get to negotiate.

Disclaimer: I understand wanting to keep some anonymity, but you just saying you have a sub-3.6 GPA does leave a lot to the imagination when giving advice.
I wouldn't get significant money at CLS or Chi RD though right?

Re your disclaimer: I'm well under a 3.6 but not below the "floors" these schools seem to have (3.4-3.5).

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:22 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:

No, you're right there is a bigger safety net at the bottom half of the class at CCNP. However, just because you ED at CLS or Chi doesn't mean you're going to get in. But if you do get in, what you can almost guarantee is you screwed yourself out of some money. You should just apply to every T-14 and see what happens. Then use the money you get to negotiate.

Re your disclaimer: I'm well under a 3.6 but not below the "floors" these schools seem to have (3.4-3.5).
No but it allows you to consider options that include money from lower T14s

I'm in a similar situation...starting to question Eding to CLS with a 3.61/174. CLS has been my dream school, and it definitely has better placement over NYU, but I'm really starting to worry about the amount of debt I would have

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:26 pm

moonman157 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:

No but it allows you to consider options that include money from lower T14s

I'm in a similar situation...starting to question Eding to CLS with a 3.61/174. CLS has been my dream school, and it definitely has better placement over NYU, but I'm really starting to worry about the amount of debt I would have
I understand, I'm just not sure I'm really interested in any of the lower-t14 options. My main concern is really maximizing my chances at getting a biglaw job in case I finish below median.

Which is why I'm really targeting CCNP - I'm hoping to try to snag one of CC with my first ED, and ED Penn if that doesn't work.

TrialLawyer16

Bronze

Post by TrialLawyer16 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:28 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote: I wouldn't get significant money at CLS or Chi RD though right?

Ok, so in light of your GPA, I'd definitely say my advice above is the way to play it.

You're not likely to get significant money at CLS or Chi RD, but crazier things have happened. What I will say is that you are almost guaranteed to get less money using ED than RD and as people here have said before CLS/Chi don't seem to give that big of a boost for ED applicants. Therefore, chances are if you got in ED you may have gotten in RD anyway. With a ~3.5/180 you should "spray n pray". If you get into CLS or Chi RD you can use the money you got at other schools to negotiate a scholarship or just tell them to fuck off and you're going to another T10 with $$. If you ED, you've completely lost that card and if they accept you they most likely will give you nothing. Even if you get biglaw from CLS/Chi after EDing you will have to pay that money back and that's 200k+ you could have saved.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:30 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote: I wouldn't get significant money at CLS or Chi RD though right?

Ok, so in light of your GPA, I'd definitely say my advice above is the way to play it.

You're not likely to get significant money at CLS or Chi RD, but crazier things have happened. What I will say is that you are almost guaranteed to get less money using ED than RD and as people here have said before CLS/Chi don't seem to give that big of a boost for ED applicants. Therefore, chances are if you got in ED you may have gotten in RD anyway. With a ~3.5/180 you should "spray n pray". If you get into CLS or Chi RD you can use the money you got at other schools to negotiate a scholarship or just tell them to fuck off and you're going to another T10 with $$. If you ED, you've completely lost that card and if they accept you they most likely will give you nothing. Even if you get biglaw from CLS/Chi after EDing you will have to pay that money back and that's 200k+ you could have saved.
Thanks for the advice. I'm just worried that I won't get in if I do RD, but if ED provides no significant boost then there's no point I guess.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:33 pm

Thank you so much for all the help guys <3 Keep the discussion going! I bet this is helping other splitters too <3 <3

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

milanproda

New

Post by milanproda » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:33 pm

180???? How??? HOW????? :mrgreen:

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:34 pm

Tiago and JammasterJ are both regular posters on TLS. I'm sure they'd be happy to lend advice if you PM'd them.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:36 pm

milanproda wrote:180???? How??? HOW????? :mrgreen:
Sent LSAC pic of my tits!

Haha JK... just studied a lot. <3 Pithypike

TrialLawyer16

Bronze

Post by TrialLawyer16 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:40 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
milanproda wrote:180???? How??? HOW????? :mrgreen:
Sent LSAC pic of my tits!

Haha JK... just studied a lot in Marvin's Room. <3 Pithypike

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”