Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
googlesearch
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby googlesearch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:12 am

You might want to reconsider the significance you place on your softs.

View Yale's class profile, which lists several softs. Very unique.
http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm

The WE of a 25 yo, that you so vaguely mention, doesn't compare.

LSAC did not do anything to your GPA that you didn't do.

We obviously aren't reading your PS, we would hope everyone would love their own PS, doesn't mean adcomms will. Plug your shit into Law School Predictor once you get your LSAT score back, apply, wait for decision, and stop looking for confirmation that you're gonna get in. You're far from a sure shot especially because you don't have your score yet.

WhiskeynCoke
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Quote:
-------------------------
I take roughly three tests a day, sometimes two, and have scored no lower than a 176 for the past three weeks
----------------------------
How is it that you think taking 3 LSAT's in one day is a good idea? What an absolute disgusting waste of Practice Tests. Here, I'll let you in on a little secret. Try to take your practice tests under conditions AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the real thing. I have a strong inclination that you aren't doing this and you're gonna have a rude awakening come test day.

Here's what I mean:

- You should be starting your tests at around 9am with your last bathroom break at 8:30am
- Each test is 5 sections, 4 scored. Take 3 sections, 15min break where you can eat/drink/bathroom, last 2 sections
- For the 5th/exp section, use an older test and place it in random order. (alternate each test)
- Get used to small/limited desk space, only using an analog timer, and every other limitation you're given
- Take only 1 test per day, unless you plan on getting up at 3am and doing one before the real thing (which is retarded)
- For god sakes, review the hell out of your mistakes. 3 tests/day will give you no chance to do this, making your practice absolutely worthless.
- By taking 3 a day you're cheapening each test, lowering the pressure on yourself and also allowing for more warmup.

The more you recreate test-day condition for your practice tests, the closer your actual score will align with your practice scores. Don't take more than 3 tests per week max, you won't have time to thoroughly review and let that review sink in. Instead you will just be reinforcing your bad habits.

FWIW I Improved from 167 (1st time) -----> 179 (3rd time)

Doing what I described above is what made this possible. More is not always better. Have you ever heard the phrase: "study smarter not harder?" Do that.

User avatar
googlesearch
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby googlesearch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:47 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:Quote:
-------------------------
I take roughly three tests a day, sometimes two, and have scored no lower than a 176 for the past three weeks
----------------------------
How is it that you think taking 3 LSAT's in one day is a good idea? What an absolute disgusting waste of Practice Tests. Here, I'll let you in on a little secret. Try to take your practice tests under conditions AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the real thing. I have a strong inclination that you aren't doing this and you're gonna have a rude awakening come test day.

Here's what I mean:

- You should be starting your tests at around 9am with your last bathroom break at 8:30am
- Each test is 5 sections, 4 scored. Take 3 sections, 15min break where you can eat/drink/bathroom, last 2 sections
- For the 5th/exp section, use an older test and place it in random order. (alternate each test)
- Get used to small/limited desk space, only using an analog timer, and every other limitation you're given
- Take only 1 test per day, unless you plan on getting up at 3am and doing one before the real thing (which is retarded)
- For god sakes, review the hell out of your mistakes. 3 tests/day will give you no chance to do this, making your practice absolutely worthless.
- By taking 3 a day you're cheapening each test, lowering the pressure on yourself and also allowing for more warmup.

The more you recreate test-day condition for your practice tests, the closer your actual score will align with your practice scores. Don't take more than 3 tests per week max, you won't have time to thoroughly review and let that review sink in. Instead you will just be reinforcing your bad habits.

FWIW I Improved from 167 (1st time) -----> 179 (3rd time)

Doing what I described above is what made this possible. More is not always better. Have you ever heard the phrase: "study smarter not harder?" Do that.



There's no way in fuck she's doing 3 a day. She'd run out in 20 days. Also says she's doing 2 a day. Said she hasn't scored lower than a 174, then said she hasn't scored lower than a 176.. So which is it? Two or three? Not to mention two months of two a day? How?

In any event, I second everything. A test every other day is fine. And on your non-test days, study your previous tests, drill old games, do something. But three a day. Lol.

User avatar
bankruptedcasino
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby bankruptedcasino » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Call me a d-bag, but I'm curious as to why OP's avatar is (ostensibly) the OP french kissing a cupcake.

Brotip: Don't put your face on TLS. Even TTTT students read TLS, so the chances of you being outed at any law school in the country are pretty high.

User avatar
googlesearch
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby googlesearch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:30 pm

bankruptedcasino wrote:Call me a d-bag, but I'm curious as to why OP's avatar is (ostensibly) the OP french kissing a cupcake.

Brotip: Don't put your face on TLS. Even TTTT students read TLS, so the chances of you being outed at any law school in the country are pretty high.


but how will people know I'm cute AND love cupcakes?

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby TheThriller » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Let her be, she's eating cupcakes because shes disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion. Therapeutic binge-eating.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby BigZuck » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:34 pm

I miss the OP, I wish she would come back and post some more.

User avatar
butyourhonor
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby butyourhonor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:04 pm

LSAC did not do anything to your GPA that you didn't do.


Yeah, I agree. I'm pissed off at myself for having done less well in community college than I did at UC. When I started there, I unfortunately hadn't yet decided that I wanted to go to law school and as a result, had no idea that LSAC GPAs existed.

View Yale's class profile, which lists several softs. Very unique.
http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm


I did some of these things! Not applying at Yale, though. Or Stanford.

stop looking for confirmation that you're gonna get in.


Yeah, but sometimes it makes me feel less lonely and cold at night.

How is it that you think taking 3 LSAT's in one day is a good idea?


My quarter doesn't start until the 27th, so I have basically nothing else to do before then. I studied abroad during the first third of the summer, but started with the tests as soon as I returned. It may not work for everyone, but it works for me. I am also not doing practice essays, and the tests don't include experimental sections. That way, it's actually only a 7 hour commitment, not including breaks. Since I've already read all of the prep books I plan on reading, this seems reasonable to me. More importantly, it seems to be working. I have gotten incredibly comfortable with the tests.

Try to take your practice tests under conditions AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the real thing. I have a strong inclination that you aren't doing this and you're gonna have a rude awakening come test day.


Thanks, and I agree. I started doing this on Monday, including using a desk with limited space, etc., and including the essays. I will continue until the actual test date. Because I'm so close to that date, and because I don't want to burn out, I've also started taking only one test per day. I've gotten a bit too comfortable with testing, and I don't want it to make me careless.

For the 5th/exp section, use an older test and place it in random order. (alternate each test)


Never thought about the experimental section thing, but that's a really good idea.

There's no way in fuck she's doing 3 a day. She'd run out in 20 days. Also says she's doing 2 a day. Said she hasn't scored lower than a 174, then said she hasn't scored lower than a 176.. So which is it? Two or three? Not to mention two months of two a day? How?


I was taking two approximately two on each day of the weekend and three on each day of the week. When I ran out of tests, I started at the beginning, and because I'd done so many tests since then, it was like approaching brand new material. More importantly, I saved all of the newest tests for the two weeks leading up to my test date, so they'll be fresh. I am also currently only doing one test per day. Again: I doubt this is the best approach for everyone, but it seems to be working for me. Also, I have no other responsibilities until school starts on the 27th.

Here are my original posts about the scores (my point was that it's been a while since I'd gotten a poor score on a PT):

I haven't scored below a 174 since a little over three weeks ago.

am currently scoring a minimum of a 176.


Brotip: Don't put your face on TLS. Even TTTT students read TLS, so the chances of you being outed at any law school in the country are pretty high.


but how will people know I'm cute AND love cupcakes?


Fixed that for you guys!

Therapeutic binge-eating.


Alternates between that and accidentally starving myself.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby 2014 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:13 pm

Holy shit why can't more people just answer the guy's question and let him be on his way?

If you manage a 174+ you will get into Columbia fine and will be WLed by Harvard with a low but not zero chance of getting off of it.
Good luck on the real deal.

yankihote
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby yankihote » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Personally, I don't think that doing one section at a time instead of an entire simulated practice test is that bad of an idea. It's the way I did it. I think that taking the LSAT is more about honing your fullest ability for 30-35 minutes than maintaining a certain level of focus throughout all the sections. The switch from games to RC for instance is so dramatic that IMO doing them in succession at home doesn't give you much added benefit versus doing them at different times.

That being said, OP should still take a couple, preferably newer practice tests and give herself the best simulated conditions she can.

Also, go faster than 35 minutes per. It's always a little slower on real test day.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby BigZuck » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:52 am

Bump for OP to come back and tell us about her LSAT triumphs. She was all over the waiting thread but never reported her score...

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:21 pm

BigZuck wrote:Bump for OP to come back and tell us about her LSAT triumphs. She was all over the waiting thread but never reported her score...

seagan823
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:18 am

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby seagan823 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:29 pm

It really doesn't matter. Just apply. You have an outside shot at Harvard. If you succeed on the LSAT, you will get at least one CCN, probably more, and with a few $. If this admissions cycle is like the last, you will have a better shot at better schools than you would have had a few years ago. Chill.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:09 pm

seagan823 wrote:It really doesn't matter. Just apply. You have an outside shot at Harvard. If you succeed on the LSAT, you will get at least one CCN, probably more, and with a few $. If this admissions cycle is like the last, you will have a better shot at better schools than you would have had a few years ago. Chill.


Necro

Also, the OP scored less than a 163 and is now zeroed in on UCI

In b4 Dre

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Image

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:54 pm

BigZuck wrote:
seagan823 wrote:It really doesn't matter. Just apply. You have an outside shot at Harvard. If you succeed on the LSAT, you will get at least one CCN, probably more, and with a few $. If this admissions cycle is like the last, you will have a better shot at better schools than you would have had a few years ago. Chill.


Necro

Also, the OP scored less than a 163 and is now zeroed in on UCI

In b4 Dre

Wtf? How is such a score difference even possible?

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:26 pm

sinfiery wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
seagan823 wrote:It really doesn't matter. Just apply. You have an outside shot at Harvard. If you succeed on the LSAT, you will get at least one CCN, probably more, and with a few $. If this admissions cycle is like the last, you will have a better shot at better schools than you would have had a few years ago. Chill.


Necro

Also, the OP scored less than a 163 and is now zeroed in on UCI

In b4 Dre

Wtf? How is such a score difference even possible?

Maybe she was using old tests, or lying. Or she has horrible test anxiety.

I really love that this thread was revived.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:28 pm

sinfiery wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
seagan823 wrote:It really doesn't matter. Just apply. You have an outside shot at Harvard. If you succeed on the LSAT, you will get at least one CCN, probably more, and with a few $. If this admissions cycle is like the last, you will have a better shot at better schools than you would have had a few years ago. Chill.


Necro

Also, the OP scored less than a 163 and is now zeroed in on UCI

In b4 Dre

Wtf? How is such a score difference even possible?


Hubris?

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:32 pm

francesfarmer wrote:I really love that this thread was revived.


+1. Nice necro, Dre.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Why should your first two years be wiped out just because you transferred.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9653
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:33 pm

not sure yale and harvard would take kindly to 1/2 of your UG experience being at a california community college either way. Some CC's are legit, but I took an IVC class once as a junior in high school. If you didn't get an A, you were really trying not to.

it's a good way to save money and transfer into the UC system for most purposes, but the highest law schools look for more academic rigor than the CA cc system can offer on its current budget

not that it matters since this thread was from like 8 months ago

philepistemer
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:43 am

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby philepistemer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:55 am

Hey op, it still isn't too late to retake. I almost didn't retake my 16x LSAT despite the fact that I did way better on practice tests, but I did retake, and now I won't be going to a shitty law school next year.

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Disheartened by LSAC's Grade Conversion.

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:51 pm

From not scoring less than a 174/176 in nearly a month, to a 164 on test day (after scoffing at the idea that her test day performance wasn't a concern like they were for mere mortals). I hope she comes and gives use some input on what the hell happened. Were those 174s with extra time? Did she have a mental break down on test day? Did her self admitted poor hygiene/test obsession reach a all-consuming distraction? I need to know!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests