Science background, how to proceed? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DH87

New

Science background, how to proceed?

Post by DH87 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi all,

I was in a PhD program at Berkeley (life sciences), until recently, when I decided to stop after 2 years with a masters degree, instead. I began to set my sights on law in my first year of graduate school, for a number of reasons.

So here I am now, wondering how to proceed.

My stats are:

BS Biochemistry, BS Zoology, minor in Genetics, with a cumulative 3.85 from a large state school.
MA Biology, UC Berkeley (don't think grad GPA matters so much for admissions, but good)
I've been published (don't know if this matters either), given talks at conferences, lots of teaching experience, etc.
Great references

Obviously, the next step is to take the LSAT, which I'll do in December, because I doubt I could be ready in October.

I'm not as worried about the 'numbers' as I am my former areas of study. With my background being a little non-traditional, would this hurt my chances at top schools, assuming I did well enough on the LSAT? Would it be wise to take a year and gain some sort of experience in law to show my commitment to the field?

Interested in your thoughts.

DH87

New

Re: Science background, how to proceed?

Post by DH87 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Of course after posting this, I actually READ around some and I've found others with similar backgrounds making posts. It appears it's really just purely numbers, the major doesn't matter so much. I just wish I could take the LSAT earlier than December and apply ED! Oh well.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:48 pm

Given your stats, fuck law school. Enjoy Med School.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:57 pm

DH87 wrote:So here I am now, wondering how to proceed.
RUN!

DH87

New

Post by DH87 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:40 am

Haha definitely no med school for me. I have my reasons!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DH87

New

Post by DH87 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:40 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
DH87 wrote:So here I am now, wondering how to proceed.
RUN!

Why?!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:32 am

OP has a solid chance everywhere (read: HYS) if he can get his LSAT in the 173 zone. You might even get a couple full rides in the upper T14 range. Considering patent law? You'd probably qualify to sit for the patent bar after law school.

Also, what's with "run"?

DH87

New

Post by DH87 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:23 am

twentypercentmore wrote:OP has a solid chance everywhere (read: HYS) if he can get his LSAT in the 173 zone. You might even get a couple full rides in the upper T14 range. Considering patent law? You'd probably qualify to sit for the patent bar after law school.

Also, what's with "run"?
Thanks. I fear after reading how many 170+ scorers studied (and for how long), I may not be ready by Dec...but I'm just going to take PTs and see where I am.

Yes, definitely considering patent law (but really I would decide in LS, there are a few other areas I have particular interest in as well).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”