3.78/159, chances at these 5 schools?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Berchild05

3.78/159, chances at these 5 schools?

Postby Berchild05 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:34 pm

I can't retake in this fall unfortunately and the Army is giving me an educational delay so I have to be in some law school for the fall. I have a lot of extra-curricular and work history, what are my chances at these schools? Where would it be best to ED at?

Minnesota
Wisconsin-Madison
BC
BU
Northeastern

Thanks!

iMisto

Re: 3.78/159, chances at these 5 schools?

Postby iMisto » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:00 pm

You should seriously retake. That GPA is much too nice to throw in the trash....

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:54 pm

Is the military paying for your school?

JWalker

Postby JWalker » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:05 pm

I don't know anything about those schools but my buddy got into GW off the waitlist with a 157/3.8x a few months ago.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Berchild05 wrote:I can't retake in this fall unfortunately and the Army is giving me an educational delay so I have to be in some law school for the fall. I have a lot of extra-curricular and work history, what are my chances at these schools? Where would it be best to ED at?

Minnesota
Wisconsin-Madison
BC
BU
Northeastern

Thanks!

This is not a good situation for you to be in. Law admissions is based off numbers.
Will your tuition and expenses be covered? Can you explain a little about how you studied? Can you tell us how you scored on each section? We might be able to gelp you with a study plan for a December retake. You can apply but note that you are retaking.

I honesty have no idea how to predict your admissions at these schools with the score you have now.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:34 pm

Once you decide to retake, read/utilize some of the awesome study guides on here, and hit high 160's/170's I'd say your chances are irrelevant since you won't be applying to any of them.

Berchild05

Postby Berchild05 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:25 pm

Well I have to apply within the Army for the program within in a week here. I didn't find out until May so my only choice was the June exam. With finals and everything else I only ended up with about a month worth of studying. During studying logic games was my strong point but on the actual exam that ended up being my worst. The army will pay up to 75,000 in tuition for me. I suppose a december retake would be possible but wouldn't I be missing out on EDs then?

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm

Berchild05 wrote:Well I have to apply within the Army for the program within in a week here. I didn't find out until May so my only choice was the June exam. With finals and everything else I only ended up with about a month worth of studying. During studying logic games was my strong point but on the actual exam that ended up being my worst. The army will pay up to 75,000 in tuition for me. I suppose a december retake would be possible but wouldn't I be missing out on EDs then?

Yes, but schools you get into will be awful compared to what you'll get if you retake and grab a 170+.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:56 pm

retake

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:52 pm

Berchild05 wrote:Well I have to apply within the Army for the program within in a week here. I didn't find out until May so my only choice was the June exam. With finals and everything else I only ended up with about a month worth of studying. During studying logic games was my strong point but on the actual exam that ended up being my worst. The army will pay up to 75,000 in tuition for me. I suppose a december retake would be possible but wouldn't I be missing out on EDs then?

Where would you ED to with those numbers?
You should apply RD and retake. $75,000 in tuition will cover about 1/2 your tuition if you get $25,000 each year. It is important that you get into schools so you can negotiate scholarships.

I hope other people chime in here. Im not the greatest at chancing people. But you have a strong GPA and with a high LSAT you can get into great schools. It is really worth it to get into the best school that you can- you aren't giving yourself a chance if you apply with that low score and you will be wasting all your hard work on your GPA.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:00 pm

sunynp wrote:

Where would you ED to with those numbers?
You should apply RD and retake. $75,000 in tuition will cover about 1/2 your tuition if you get $25,000 each year. It is important that you get into schools so you can negotiate scholarships.

I hope other people chime in here. Im not the greatest at chancing people. But you have a strong GPA and with a high LSAT you can get into great schools. It is really worth it to get into the best school that you can- you aren't giving yourself a chance if you apply with that low score and you will be wasting all your hard work on your GPA.

sunynp is right on target. Dont ED, retake. Thats a great GPA. Six more points and youre talking about $$$ to t1. 10 points and we are talking about $$$ at the t14.

Klinklang

Postby Klinklang » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:38 pm

iMisto wrote:You should seriously retake. That GPA is much too nice to throw in the trash....

This is the correct response. No way you're in Minnesota with a 159, unless you're URM and an injured vet who contributed to a cure for ALS. Your GPA is above median at, I believe, all 5 of those, so I suggest:

1. PowerScore Logic Games Bible
2. Manhattan Reading Comp. book
3. Study like your salary depends on it
4. ???
5. Profit

Edit: didn't catch the part where OP actually is a vet... I feel insensitive. :/

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:44 pm

Berchild05 wrote:I can't retake in this fall unfortunately and the Army is giving me an educational delay so I have to be in some law school for the fall. I have a lot of extra-curricular and work history, what are my chances at these schools? Where would it be best to ED at?

Thanks!

Minnesota - DENIED
Wisconsin-Madison - DENIED
BC - DENIED
BU - DENIED
Northeastern - IN OFF the waitlist

If you are black then in with money at Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Klinklang wrote:
iMisto wrote:You should seriously retake. That GPA is much too nice to throw in the trash....

This is the correct response. No way you're in Minnesota with a 159, unless you're URM and an injured vet who contributed to a cure for ALS.

UMNs GPA median is 3.8. They take plenty of reverse splitters to balance all the 167/8s they take under 3.8. I know a kid, who probably has the lowest LSAT in the class, who is white and got in with a 3.8/152. But under both medians at UMN = Practically no shot, even if OP was 3.78/165.

Anyway, Retake is CLEARLY the right move.

Minnesota - DENIED
Wisconsin-Madison - DENIED
BC - DENIED
BU - DENIED
Northeastern - IN OFF the waitlist

This is accurate, IMO

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:57 pm

sunynp wrote:

Minnesota
Wisconsin-Madison
BC
BU
Northeastern

Thanks!

This is not a good situation for you to be in. Law admissions is based off numbers.
Will your tuition and expenses be covered? Can you explain a little about how you studied? Can you tell us how you scored on each section? We might be able to gelp you with a study plan for a December retake. You can apply but note that you are retaking.

I honesty have no idea how to predict your admissions at these schools with the score you have now.

This, in every way!

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Nova wrote:
Klinklang wrote:

This is the correct response. No way you're in Minnesota with a 159, unless you're URM and an injured vet who contributed to a cure for ALS.

UMNs GPA median is 3.8. They take plenty of reverse splitters to balance all the 167/8s they take under 3.8. I know a kid, who probably has the lowest LSAT in the class, who is white and got in with a 3.8/152. But under both medians at UMN = Practically no shot, even if OP was 3.78/165.

Anyway, Retake is CLEARLY the right move.

I certainly agree retake is the right answer but might his military background make a difference?

Return to “What are my chances?”