How is a british degree valued?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ywan1990

How is a british degree valued?

Postby ywan1990 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi guys, I have got a first class honour degree from a top5 university in the UK doing BSc Philosophy and Economics. However, I am not sure how law schools/LSAC will value the degree and whether it will be converted into GPA or whether there is a way to convert it at all. What happened to some of of my friends is: basically LSAT averaged the score she gets for all her modules and made a recommendation based on it. But it is pretty vague....

Given this uncertainty, I am really a bit unsettled while preparing for the LSAT. Even though I know I should try to get a score as high as possible, maybe a more realistic score range (that can give me a realistic chance in the top14) could just help me to settle down so that I can focus exclusively on my preparation. Thanks!

tonton

Re: How is a british degree valued?

Postby tonton » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:44 pm

LSAC categorizes foreign degrees into "below average", "average", "above average" and "superior". Most internationals on TLS usually score an "above average" or "superior", that basically between a second upper and a first, but from everything i've read, a first class honors is a "superior".
Most schools in the T-14 focus on the LSAT for internationals, so aim as high as you can.

tonton

Postby tonton » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:45 pm

ywan1990

Postby ywan1990 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:07 pm

That's really helpful! I should have read that. Thanks very much for your reply.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:45 pm

ywan1990 wrote:Given this uncertainty, I am really a bit unsettled while preparing for the LSAT. Even though I know I should try to get a score as high as possible, maybe a more realistic score range (that can give me a realistic chance in the top14) could just help me to settle down so that I can focus exclusively on my preparation. Thanks!

Schools will be pretty indifferent to your degree because US law schools whore themselves to USNWR, and your GPA will not be included in that equation. Your LSAT will be the deciding factor at most places.

If you score median or above at whatever school, you have a good shot there.

geary86

Postby geary86 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:29 am

Nova wrote:
ywan1990 wrote:Given this uncertainty, I am really a bit unsettled while preparing for the LSAT. Even though I know I should try to get a score as high as possible, maybe a more realistic score range (that can give me a realistic chance in the top14) could just help me to settle down so that I can focus exclusively on my preparation. Thanks!

Schools will be pretty indifferent to your degree because US law schools whore themselves to USNWR, and your GPA will not be included in that equation. Your LSAT will be the deciding factor at most places.

If you score median or above at whatever school, you have a good shot there.

I have a question. (I don't mean to hijack this thread :p)
I'm an international student, but finished high school and college in the United States.
So I guess my GPA will be included in the USNWR equation.
In my case, will I be treated more like U.S. applicants?

tonton

Postby tonton » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:27 pm

If you have a GPA, then your transcript would be viewed the same way a US student's would be

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:12 pm

tonton wrote:If you have a GPA, then your transcript would be viewed the same way a US student's would be

+1

Consider writing a DS about your international experiences though. That will give you another chance to show off your writing and add to your story.

geary86

Postby geary86 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Nova wrote:
tonton wrote:If you have a GPA, then your transcript would be viewed the same way a US student's would be

+1

Consider writing a DS about your international experiences though. That will give you another chance to show off your writing and add to your story.

Thank you :D
I'm currently working on my PS... will get to my DS by the end of this week... (hopefully)

Return to “What are my chances?”