What makes a great soft?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gettingerdone

What makes a great soft?

Postby gettingerdone » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi Guys! I'm interested in applying to Berkeley and have a good GPA and am writing the LSAT in Oct. With Boalt's emphasis on softs, I'm wondering what exactly constitutes good softs by Boalt's standards. Thanks for the help!

gettingerdone

Re: What makes a great soft?

Postby gettingerdone » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Also sorry if this is in the wrong category....wasn't exactly sure where to put it

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Would the law school want to brag about having a student with that soft? If yes, it's a good soft. If no, then it won't hurt you but it won't help either.

Liquox

Postby Liquox » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:35 pm

imagine some guy saying "our students are more than just law students. they are also ___"

triplectz

Postby triplectz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:57 pm

INVESTMENT BANKERS???

tofuspeedstar

Postby tofuspeedstar » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Olympic Athlete
Olympic Medalist
Published Author

etc...things along those lines.

Postby 02889 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:20 pm

I know it's the TLS consensus, but I have difficult believing it's really the case that if you're not an Olympic athlete, your WE/softs are close to irrelevant. It's counter-intuitive that someone would say "it won't hurt you, but it won't help either" about all non-epic softs, regardless of what they are.

I'm betting that people with interesting experiences that can tie it into a compelling narrative are much better off than people with no softs/WE or people who volunteer at an animal shelter every few months but have nothing to say about it.

T14hoping

Postby T14hoping » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:37 pm

02889 wrote:I know it's the TLS consensus, but I have difficult believing it's really the case that if you're not an Olympic athlete, your WE/softs are close to irrelevant. It's counter-intuitive that someone would say "it won't hurt you, but it won't help either" about all non-epic softs, regardless of what they are.

I'm betting that people with interesting experiences that can tie it into a compelling narrative are much better off than people with no softs/WE or people who volunteer at an animal shelter every few months but have nothing to say about it.

The guy volunteering at an animal shelter every few months can turn that into an interesting experience for law school admissions purposes.

Ixiion

Postby Ixiion » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:15 am

Out of curiosity, do personal things count as softs too, or is it just work exp and things of that ilk? Like, say you've lived in 6 entirely different countries and learned the languages, is that interesting enough to be a soft? Or say one of your parents died mid-semester, you're under 21, losing all your financial support and landing you essentially on your own money-wise and everything else-wise, and then acing university... does that count?
Last edited by Ixiion on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:21 am

Ixiion wrote:Out of curiosity, do personal things count as softs too, or is it just work exp and things of that ilk? Like, say you've lived in 6 entirely different countries and learned the languages, is that interesting enough to be a soft? Or say your parent died mid-semester, you're under 21, losing all your financial support and landing you essentially on your own money-wise and everything else-wise, and then acing university... does that count?

Yes, it can. It's part of the "diversity" that schools look for. The more nontraditional, the better.

Ixiion

Postby Ixiion » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:24 am

BlaqBella wrote:
Ixiion wrote:Out of curiosity, do personal things count as softs too, or is it just work exp and things of that ilk? Like, say you've lived in 6 entirely different countries and learned the languages, is that interesting enough to be a soft? Or say your parent died mid-semester, you're under 21, losing all your financial support and landing you essentially on your own money-wise and everything else-wise, and then acing university... does that count?

Yes, it can. It's part of the "diversity" that schools look for. The more nontraditional, the better.

Awesome, thanks. Would you imagine things like that are decent/good softs or weak ones?

top30man

Postby top30man » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:29 pm

02889 wrote:I know it's the TLS consensus, but I have difficult believing it's really the case that if you're not an Olympic athlete, your WE/softs are close to irrelevant. It's counter-intuitive that someone would say "it won't hurt you, but it won't help either" about all non-epic softs, regardless of what they are.

Softs will rarely, if ever, overcome a good lsat score. The 170/4.0 with 0 softs beasts out the 166/3.7 with exceptional softs 99 times out of 100.

Return to “What are my chances?”