Michigan ED How "holistic" is the process?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kwwill3

Michigan ED How "holistic" is the process?

Postby kwwill3 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:51 pm

Pretty set on applying to michigan ed. LSAC gpa of 3.44. Above average softs: several large/selective leadership roles in college and Teach For America. What is the mininum lsat for a decent (read above 50%) chance at admission? I am shooting for a 170 but would I be better off ED'ing elsewhere with a score in the 167-169 range? Thanks.

thelaststraw05

Re: Michigan ED How "holistic" is the process?

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:57 pm

kwwill3 wrote:Pretty set on applying to michigan ed. LSAC gpa of 3.44. Above average softs: several large/selective leadership roles in college and Teach For America. What is the mininum lsat for a decent (read above 50%) chance at admission? I am shooting for a 170 but would I be better off ED'ing elsewhere with a score in the 167-169 range? Thanks.

FWIW, I was admitted two years ago with a 3.44 and a 171. I was also given a $15,000 a year scholarship.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Jumping on this thread.

If Michigan ED is reserved only to summer straters, what would be the difference between applying RD and stating you're interested in summer start than applying ED? In both cases you're with the same application pool. Or am I missing something?

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Lear22 wrote:Jumping on this thread.

If Michigan ED is reserved only to summer straters, what would be the difference between applying RD and stating you're interested in summer start than applying ED? In both cases you're with the same application pool. Or am I missing something?
ED=binding+sticker (except in rare situations), RD=throw me some money and I might come there. Also, ED isn't reserved only to summer starters - ED students have to start during the summer (cannot start in the fall). RD'ers can choose summer or fall start when they apply.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:47 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:

ED=binding+sticker (except in rare situations), RD=throw me some money and I might come there. Also, ED isn't reserved only to summer starters - ED students have to start during the summer (cannot start in the fall). RD'ers can choose summer or fall start when they apply.

At Michigan it isn't except in rare situations. ED folks get treated exactly the same for scholarships. I know a lot of ED's with big money.

And you misspoke - ED is reserved only for summer starters. Summer start isn't reserved exclusively for ED.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:16 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:

At Michigan it isn't except in rare situations. ED folks get treated exactly the same for scholarships. I know a lot of ED's with big money.

And you misspoke - ED is reserved only for summer starters. Summer start isn't reserved exclusively for ED.
:oops: I said one thing and then said the complete opposite, lol. In any case, OP should get an actual LSAT score. Until then, enjoy LSN.

Pathika

Postby Pathika » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:08 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:

I'll second this... I'm a Summer Starter, as well (though not ED), and most of the ED Summer Starters I know have been offered money, some as much as $22.5k/year. Heck, I know someone that got $10k/yr with a 3.3/169.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:39 am

That's good to know.

I'm looking at my options and am very interested in summer start. I just graduated and taking the oct LSAT. For some reasons job prospects with a history undergrad are not all over the place... And I think it will be a waste not to start early if I can (looking at Michagan, NU and Cardozo as a safer option if all fails)

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:01 pm

Pathika wrote:Heck, I know someone that got $10k/yr with a 3.3/169.

A summer starter?

Pathika

Postby Pathika » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:27 am

UnamSanctam wrote:

A summer starter?

ED, no less.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Pathika wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:

A summer starter?

ED, no less.

I wasn't aware I had a twin.

ETA: Except the summer starter part.

Pathika

Postby Pathika » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:05 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Pathika wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:

A summer starter?

ED, no less.

I wasn't aware I had a twin.

ETA: Except the summer starter part.

??? You are ED but not summer start? Does. Not. Compute?

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Pathika wrote:??? You are ED but not summer start? Does. Not. Compute?

Sorcery (admissions offered to let me switch since I'm K-JD).

Pathika

Postby Pathika » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:28 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Pathika wrote:??? You are ED but not summer start? Does. Not. Compute?

Sorcery (admissions offered to let me switch since I'm K-JD).

So, are you starting as a 1st year, or are you a 7th year?

Return to “What are my chances?”