Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Last edited by AllDangle on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Betharl

Re: 3.88/165: Worth an ED to Duke?

Postby Betharl » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:17 pm

Last edited by Betharl on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Betharl wrote:It isn't an accelerated ED option, it is Duke's "priority track." I am not sure about this, but maybe you could apply ED under the priority track and get a response in 10 days, but it would be binding if you are accepted. You could just apply under the priority track non-ED and get a non-binding reponse in 10 days and go from there. I am not sure if you are waitlisted/rejected from the priority track if you can then change your app to binding (some people have said this is possible at UVA). Maybe it would be worth giving Duke a call and asking?

But yeah, you could definetely apply under the priority track to Duke, get your response in 10 days, and ED or RD to UVA after if you want. That might be the best plan.

Ignore this. Accelerated PT and priority track are different things.

But anyways, if you like DUke better, do the ED there first, and if things don't work out you can ED to UVA any time in the cycle- and I think with your numbers are pretty much guaranteed an acceptance.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:41 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Ignore this. Accelerated PT and priority track are different things.

Whoops, obviously did not know that. Geez, how many different special ways of applying do these places have? Deleting original message, my mistake OP.

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Last edited by AllDangle on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:07 pm

AllDangle wrote:Thanks for the info. I guess Duke vs. UVA would be better suited for the Choosing a Law School forum. Any speculation on my chances of acceptance with Duke ED?

UVA likes high GPAs. Similar numbers, didn't even ED and got in. From what I understand, Duke prefers a higher LSAT.

Do you have any specific reasons why Duke over UVA?

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:10 pm

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:03 pm

AllDangle wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:
AllDangle wrote:Thanks for the info. I guess Duke vs. UVA would be better suited for the Choosing a Law School forum. Any speculation on my chances of acceptance with Duke ED?

UVA likes high GPAs. Similar numbers, didn't even ED and got in. From what I understand, Duke prefers a higher LSAT.

Do you have any specific reasons why Duke over UVA?

I just started comparing the two recently on LST and saw Duke places more in big law, plus only 5% in school funded jobs while UVA is at 17%.

If you feel comfortable with the Duke ED based on your research, go ahead.

Funkycrime

Postby Funkycrime » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Can anybody comment on the scholarship prospects after a successful Duke ED?

indo

Postby indo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:47 pm

AllDangle wrote:I received a fee waiver/accelerated ED email from Duke this week. I had been planning to ED to UVA prior to receiving this email. I have been comparing the two schools on LST and it seems like Duke has higher big law placement, and less people working in school funded jobs (17% for UVA, 5% for Duke). The turnaround for Duke's Accelerated ED is 10 days, so I would still be able to ED to UVA relatively soon after their app opens. What are my chances with my numbers if I chose to ED to Duke?

Are you sure that you get accelerated ED not Priorty Track Program ?

I got this email from Duke

I am pleased to learn of your interest in attending law school. We received information about your outstanding academic record from the Law School Admission Council’s Candidate Referral Service. Based on your strong credentials, I invite you to apply to Duke Law School through our Priority Track review process. This program guarantees that a response to your application will be mailed to you within ten days of completing your file.

The Priority Track program allows you to submit your application materials at any time prior to the February 15 deadline. Your application fee will be automatically waived when you submit your application through LSAC; you should not need to enter a code. Upon completion of your file, your application will receive an immediate comprehensive review and you will receive a response within ten days. This is a non-binding program; if you are admitted to Duke, you may freely consider offers of admission from other law schools.

Please note that several elements are required to complete your file, including a Credential Assembly Service (CAS) Law School Report, your application form, a resume, a personal statement, and two letters of recommendation.

In order to have your application reviewed through the Priority Track program, please register now.

In the meantime, I invite you to learn more about Duke Law by visiting our website. I hope that receiving a quick response from Duke will be helpful as you navigate your way through the law school admissions process. I look forward to reading your application.

Sincerely,

William J. Hoye
Associate Dean
Admissions and Student Affairs

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:02 pm

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Funkycrime wrote:Can anybody comment on the scholarship prospects after a successful Duke ED?

Very very bleak. I don't know this from personal experience, just LSN data and the typical scholarship opportunities for any ED applicants in the T14, minus UM.

Return to “What are my chances?”