Help with new Penn ED?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jdip514

Help with new Penn ED?

Postby jdip514 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Can someone explain how the second round of ED works at penn? I know its new, but it seems to me that it is less like an ED as it is in january and not early at all. Instead, it is just a binding decision that may improve your chances, but garuntees you no money at all.
Any information or opinions are really appreciated.

Currently im considering applying for this cycle. GPA is 3.9 and im PTing around 163. For me its Penn or bust really, as im from the philadelphia area and that is my dream school. Not interested in relocating much either, so Penn is it really. Seems im gonna need 170 to have shot at Penn, or maybe i could do high 160s and get in ED?

Lemme know TLS

top30man

Re: Help with new Penn ED?

Postby top30man » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:46 pm

Thats pretty much what it is. Good for people that missed out on round one of another Ed (eg NYU). That being said I don't think you'll get in. Id either retake or ED UVA.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:25 pm

come back with a real LSAT score - u should be grinding right about now to get those PTs up...

tpfennin

Postby tpfennin » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Check the lsn stats(http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=p2fns). With a GPA as high as yours you will have a chance ED at Penn with a 163/164. Not a very good sample size, but as you can see it is possible to ED at Penn with your numbers.

ImTheWiz

Postby ImTheWiz » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:12 pm

top30man wrote:Thats pretty much what it is. Good for people that missed out on round one of another Ed (eg NYU). That being said I don't think you'll get in. Id either retake or ED UVA.

The ED NYU --> ED Penn was my plan when I first heard about this new system of theirs. Unfortunately, it turns out NYU is not cool with the double ED...

https://www.law.nyu.edu/ecm_dlv2/groups ... 058361.pdf

["An Early Decision applicant to NYU School of Law may not be an Early Decision applicant to any other law school during the
same annual admissions cycle."]

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:15 pm

ImTheWiz wrote:
top30man wrote:Thats pretty much what it is. Good for people that missed out on round one of another Ed (eg NYU). That being said I don't think you'll get in. Id either retake or ED UVA.

The ED NYU --> ED Penn was my plan when I first heard about this new system of theirs. Unfortunately, it turns out NYU is not cool with the double ED...

https://www.law.nyu.edu/ecm_dlv2/groups ... 058361.pdf

["An Early Decision applicant to NYU School of Law may not be an Early Decision applicant to any other law school during the
same annual admissions cycle."]

Aren't you technically not an "ED applicant to NYU" anymore after withdrawal / rejection?

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:18 pm

I agree. It basically is saying you can't ED to two or more places at once, which is common sense. If NYU roles you over into the RD pile, you can withdraw, cease to be part of their cycle, and then ED Penn.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:23 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:I agree. It basically is saying you can't ED to two or more places at once, which is common sense. If NYU roles you over into the RD pile, you can withdraw, cease to be part of their cycle, and then ED Penn.

that was my understanding, as well. their policy seems to only affect the option of riding out a held (RD) / WL app in this regard.
Last edited by TLSwag on Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:35 pm

Um, I guess that is the way it reads, but it seems absurd. The idea that you can't have two binding decisions out there at once makes sense, but once NYU puts you into their ED pile, you now longer are binding at NYU, right? If that is the case, then you should be able to ED Penn.

jdip514

Postby jdip514 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:26 am

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the input. Btw, any idea what LSAT it would take to get scholly money with my 3.9 gpa. I'd love to get into penn this cycle, but feel I'm capable of gettin higher LSAT with a year off after I graduate. With the 3.9, what LSAT would get me the minimum penn scholly ( whatever that amount is).
Thanks again

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:29 am

kwais wrote:Um, I guess that is the way it reads, but it seems absurd. The idea that you can't have two binding decisions out there at once makes sense, but once NYU puts you into their ED pile, you now longer are binding at NYU, right? If that is the case, then you should be able to ED Penn.

I called them a couple cycles ago to make sure. It reads as if you cannot double ED but the adcomm I talked to made it clear that double ED was okay (obviously only if you've been released from NYU's).

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:19 pm

If you sign up for ED, can you withdraw before a decision has been made and be released from the contract? Might be a stupid question!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:30 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:If you sign up for ED, can you withdraw before a decision has been made and be released from the contract? Might be a stupid question!

You can ask them to do this but I don't think they have to let you out.

Return to “What are my chances?”