3.35/164 - Schools in Florida - Retake?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bananasplits

3.35/164 - Schools in Florida - Retake?

Postby bananasplits » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:23 pm

Hey TLS,

I'm a Florida resident so I'm interested in staying in Florida and receiving in-state tuition. I have a 3.35 from UF and I got a 164 on my first LSAT. The schools I am interested in are UF, FSU, Miami, Stetson. FSU and UF are both state schools so the in-state tuition provides a larger incentive to choose one of them. I plan on applying as early as possible.

These are my questions:

1) I would very much like to get a scholarship. During my LSAT prep course the highest PT score I got was a 171. Should I retake in October hoping for a higher LSAT score to improve scholarship chances?

2) I was born in Europe and lived there my whole life until I began my undergraduate degree, I also speak multiple languages. I'm white though, so I don't expect to be considered "URM" status. However, is this information perhaps worth writing a diversity statement?

Thank you,

GATA1989

Re: 3.35/164 - Schools in Florida - Retake?

Postby GATA1989 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Just an 0L here but I have similar stats. I am retaking in Oct. because from everything I've read that seems to be the right choice, also if you hit 171 before your last LSAT with more practice you can reach that potential in Oct. and be in position for $$, so I would say definitely retake.

I have no advice with the second question though

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:49 pm

1. Yes. Retake the LSAT to increase your chances of admission and scholarships. You have a pretty good shot at UF/FSU already, but if you can improve your chances, why not?

2.Yes, you should write a DS. Although you will not get a URM boost, you are still a diverse candidate. The DS will give you another opportunity to show off your writing and further separate you from the pack as a unique and interesting candidate.

tim.janitor

Postby tim.janitor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Go so St. Thomas in Miami Gardens. You'll get a nice scholly. They had the highest bar passage rate in the state of Florida recently.

Profit.

Congrats.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:39 pm

They had the highest bar passage rate in the state of Florida recently.

Doesnt matter.
St.T wrote:•49.3% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number school-funded jobs.
•59.7% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•65.2% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

--LinkRemoved--

tim.janitor

Postby tim.janitor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Nova wrote:
They had the highest bar passage rate in the state of Florida recently.

Doesnt matter.
St.T wrote:•49.3% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number school-funded jobs.
•59.7% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•65.2% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

--LinkRemoved--

All you have to be is top 49.3% of the class and you will get a full time legal job. With a huge scholly. Lock.

Post some of Miami's numbers. Miami with more debt wouldnt be worth it.

55.1% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number school-funded jobs.
64.7% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
80.5% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

bigvinny

Postby bigvinny » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:03 pm

tim.janitor wrote:All you have to be is top 49.3% of the class and you will get a full time legal job. With a huge scholly. Lock.

Agreed. Based on my experience, it's not very difficult to finish in the top 1/2 of the class....or even the top 1/3. So going there over a school that will put you into more debt may be the better option.

tim.janitor

Postby tim.janitor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:09 pm

bigvinny wrote:
tim.janitor wrote:All you have to be is top 49.3% of the class and you will get a full time legal job. With a huge scholly. Lock.

Agreed. Based on my experience, it's not very difficult to finish in the top 1/2 of the class....or even the top 1/3. So going there over a school that will put you into more debt may be the better option.

If you can't be in the top 1/2 of a TTTT. You shouldn't get a full time, legal jerb. Take the scholly. Profit.

North

Postby North » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Alting already? You haven't even crystallized your original body of troll-work.

OP, retake the LSAT. I have your EXACT GPA and I wouldn't let your PT range go to waste. I'm trying to PT that well myself this very moment, actually. I might even be jealous. So, do it for me. Also, do it for $$$$.

Return to “What are my chances?”