172/3.92

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bdeebs

172/3.92

Postby bdeebs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:10 am

Just curious if my thoughts about by chances are in line with conventional wisdom.

I'm wondering about my chances at T6/HYS. My undergraduate institution will probably be a detriment (smaller state school). I'm a chemistry major with unremarkable softs: co-author on a paper published in Inorganica Chimica Acta, research fellowships for 4 summers in college, Radiological Worker II certified, chem lab instructor during/after graduation. Right now I'm fixing band instruments to pay the bills (music was a huge interest of mine in high school). I've got some achievements in some sports related extracurriculars (volleyball/jump rope/racquetball), which I'm planning on mentioning but not elaborating on.

I'm planning on retaking the the LSAT in October, as my current score was at the bottom of my 15 test range leading up to test day and I didn't feel fully prepared for reading comp.

Any thoughts?

Re: 172/3.92

Postby 20130312 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:16 am

Grizz wrote:Should I create a "What are my chances" thread?

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:31 am

If you could explain to me how to search for applicants from only no-name public schools, I would be happy to take your advice. As it is, there are only 8-10 applicants per cycle that fit the criteria of going to a general public university with the numbers I am interested in. It seems like a small sample size from which to base my decisions especially considering the fact that most of them probably come from schools that are at least recognized on USNWR's list of national universities.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:34 am

bdeebs wrote:If you could explain to me how to search for applicants from only no-name public schools, I would be happy to take your advice. As it is, there are only 8-10 applicants per cycle that fit the criteria of going to a general public university with the numbers I am interested in. It seems like a small sample size from which to base my decisions especially considering the fact that most of them probably come from schools that are at least recognized on USNWR's list of national universities.

None of this matters. If you have a 3.92 from Ohio State, adcomms won't look at you any differently than an applicant from Tufts. Maybe the tiniest boost if you graduate from HYP, but otherwise it's totally irrelevant.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:34 am

bdeebs wrote:If you could explain to me how to search for applicants from only no-name public schools, I would be happy to take your advice. As it is, there are only 8-10 applicants per cycle that fit the criteria of going to a general public university with the numbers I am interested in. It seems like a small sample size from which to base my decisions especially considering the fact that most of them probably come from schools that are at least recognized on USNWR's list of national universities.

Your UG doesn't matter, unless it's like University of Phoenix or something. And even then.

It doesn't really matter though, does it? Blanket the T14 and see what happens. No one here has a crystal ball for you.

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:36 am

InGoodFaith wrote:

None of this matters. If you have a 3.92 from Ohio State, adcomms won't look at you any differently than an applicant from Tufts. Maybe the tiniest boost if you graduate from HYP, but otherwise it's totally irrelevant.

Yeah don't worry about this. It won't matter. And even if it did, it's out of your control.

Postby 2014 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:36 am

Your UG institution will play little to no role in your cycle. You can expect to perform basically exactly how other individuals did around your numbers. Schools are too busy to put in the time to determine whether UG A is more competitive than UG B but has grade inflation compared to UG C etc. So unless you go to a prestigious school (HYP) or a notorious grade deflator (Swarthmore) your GPA will be seen as no different than any other one.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 am

I got into one of HYS, one of CCN and lots of money in the T14 with your stats. State school grad. PM me for more details if you're interested.

Return to “What are my chances?”