159 LSAT, 3.75 gpa, URM (H)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Pokarface

159 LSAT, 3.75 gpa, URM (H)

Postby Pokarface » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:36 pm

I have not been able to break into the 160 range on my practice LSATs' =-(
As a Texas resident, I don't know if I should stay here and practice law indefinitely, and I know that if I attend a local law school I am very likely to stay in the area where I graduated most of my life. do you think I can get into one of these three with those numbers?

University of Texas
University of Houston
SMU (I expect more of this Law school than Baylor because of its location, but I might be wrong since I don't now its area economics.)
Baylor University

I think most people here are thinking, "retake, T-14, or bust"

P.D. I have weak softs with an organization that won an award at national level.

twenty

Re: 159 LSAT, 3.75 gpa, URM (H)

Postby twenty » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:51 pm

UT is by no means a bad option. If you're Mexican American (not just Hispanic, mind), you have a pretty solid chance at UT, but I'd blanket T14. Even with a 159, I think you'll get one at sticker.

http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=szdye

If I were to make an educated prediction, I'd say you end up with about 15k at UT, sticker at GULC, and sticker at another T14 (Duke?).

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:33 pm

I am not nearly as optimistic as the poster above.

Its very likely that most of those results in the link are AAs, who get a MUCH larger boosts than MA/PRs. Many more AAs take the LSAT than MA/PR/NAs.

You are most likely OUT at Texas and OUT of the T14.

You have a good shot to get into SM/H/B.

(Thats assuming you are MA/PR)

You really shouldnt take the LSAT until you can score higher. You are leaving a hell of a lot on the table by taking the test when you are probably going to score in the high 150s.

Pokarface

Postby Pokarface » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:UT is by no means a bad option. If you're Mexican American (not just Hispanic, mind), you have a pretty solid chance at UT, but I'd blanket T14. Even with a 159, I think you'll get one at sticker.

http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=szdye

If I were to make an educated prediction, I'd say you end up with about 15k at UT, sticker at GULC, and sticker at another T14 (Duke?).

I've played with the numbers too. Sticker at UT sounds better than off-state sticker at Duke. But what is your educated guess based on? =-(

Nova wrote:I am not nearly as optimistic as the poster above.

Its very likely that most of those results in the link are AAs, who get a MUCH larger boosts than MA/PRs. Many more AAs take the LSAT than MA/PR/NAs.

You are most likely OUT at Texas and OUT of the T14.

You have a good shot to get into SM/H/B.

(Thats assuming you are MA/PR)

You really shouldnt take the LSAT until you can score higher. You are leaving a hell of a lot on the table by taking the test when you are probably going to score in the high 150s.

I should be more specific about being Hispanic. I'm Mexican-American. I was planning on taking the LSAT October or November. I originally aimed T-14, but due to my practice LSAT performance, I can't decide whether to wait for another cycle or stay in Texas (not UT, but either 2nd tier). I am thinking I currently have a decent shot at getting in Houston (but at what cost?).
I'll keep practicing on the mean while...

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Pokarface wrote: I am thinking I currently have a decent shot at getting in Houston (but at what cost?).

If you are below the median LSAT (162), expect sticker. If you are at or above median, expect a 45k scholarship, lowering tuition to a manageable 15k a yr.

Seriously, MEDIAN is the key for you at SM/H/B. Hit that and you can expect $$. Every point closer to 167 you get, the better shot you have at UT. Good luck!!

Pokarface

Postby Pokarface » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Nova wrote:
Pokarface wrote: I am thinking I currently have a decent shot at getting in Houston (but at what cost?).

If you are below the median LSAT (162), expect sticker. If you are at or above median, expect a 45k scholarship, lowering tuition to a manageable 15k a yr.

Seriously, MEDIAN is the key for you at SM/H/B. Hit that and you can expect $$. Every point closer to 167 you get, the better shot you have at UT. Good luck!!

Thanks for the motivation! I really like TLS, I've avoided stupid mistakes, and clarified a lot of misconception I had about law school =-D

Return to “What are my chances?”