It's early, but am I on the right track?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jgibbs444

It's early, but am I on the right track?

Postby jgibbs444 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:58 pm

I am a sophomore at a science and technological university in the Midwest. I am currently studying Aerospace Engineering, (possibly changing to EE or Mech. Engineering however) and my GPA is currently 3.87.

I am involved in many extracurricular activities, such as student government, research projects, etc.

Am I on the right track to be able to possible attend a T-14 law school? What LSAT/GPA combo is necessary for "superb" law schools?

Thanks for the help!

splitsplat

Re: It's early, but am I on the right track?

Postby splitsplat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Postby 2014 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Keep your GPA over about 3.85 at all costs, worry about the LSAT in 2 years, bust your ass to score a 174+, enjoy HYS or big money at CCN.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:33 pm

jgibbs444 wrote:I am a sophomore at a science and technological university in the Midwest. I am currently studying Aerospace Engineering, (possibly changing to EE or Mech. Engineering however) and my GPA is currently 3.87.

I am involved in many extracurricular activities, such as student government, research projects, etc.

Am I on the right track to be able to possible attend a T-14 law school? What LSAT/GPA combo is necessary for "superb" law schools?

Thanks for the help!

I would research other advanced degrees in addition to law if I were you, but it sounds like if you do aim for law you should be in good shape.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:56 pm

This might be a joke but if you haven't noticed yet, your field has way way more possibilities than law. And way more exciting, I'd imagine.

As Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad would say:

Yeah, Science Bitch!

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:11 pm

splitsplat wrote:*Flowchart*

This. Check out the charts on LSN and run different combos with MyLSN.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com
http://www.mylsn.info

Having numbers above both medians generally gives you a good shot, excluding Yale/Stanford/Berkeley.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:41 pm

agree with above partially, especially if you are in a top engineering program with that GPA. i mean the opportunities are endless.

that being said, if you are really interested in law school and want to become a lawyer, your career prospects are going to be pretty unreal if you keep that GPA up and stay in engineering (obviously hinging on your success at the LSAT as well). good luck, keep ur GPA up, stay in engineering (IP SECURE BRAHHH), and check back with TLS in a year or 2 when u start gearing up for the LSAT.

oh and PS - finding TLS = on the right track. you are so ahead of the game. good shit.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:57 pm

If I had the chance to be you right now and I knew what I knew now I would literally lay out my goals like this....so dont ask questions and just do it ok?

1) raise your GPA to above 3.9, preferably as close to 4.0 as possible
-While this high of a GPA is not necessary, it also is far from un heard of and can give you some wiggle room if LSAT doesnt go as great as planned

2) Start of Junior year slowly start studying for LSAT, really picking up the start of spring semester (jan) and take June lsat.

3) Break mid 170's enjoy any school you want

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:59 pm

Br3v wrote:If I had the chance to be you right now and I knew what I knew now I would literally lay out my goals like this....so dont ask questions and just do it ok?

-While this high of a GPA is not necessary, it also is far from un heard of and can give you some wiggle room if LSAT doesnt go as great as planned

2) Start of Junior year slowly start studying for LSAT, really picking up the start of spring semester (jan) and take June lsat.

ya. what i would give to have known this a few years ago ha

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:11 pm

TLSwag wrote:
Br3v wrote:If I had the chance to be you right now and I knew what I knew now I would literally lay out my goals like this....so dont ask questions and just do it ok?

ya. what i would give to have known this a few years ago ha

Gotta roll with what we got. Luckily I still have a year left (applying this cycle) but GPA is not yet set in stone.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:18 am

@OP: Yes, you are on the right track.
WanderingPondering wrote:This might be a joke but if you haven't noticed yet, your field has way way more possibilities than law. And way more exciting, I'd imagine.

If by possibilities you mean having the privilege of training a foreign visa replacement, of being laid off every few years, of working biglaw hours without biglaw pay, of generally being unemployable after 40, and of developing expertise in a skillset that can easily become obsolete.

It is true that there is more demand for STEM majors than for liberal arts majors, but STEM is hardly the "grass is greener" field that TLS portrays it to be. In reality, there are very few careers that give you any sort of stability in boomer America.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:00 pm

KevinP wrote:@OP: Yes, you are on the right track.
If by possibilities you mean having the privilege of training a foreign visa replacement, of being laid off every few years, of working biglaw hours without biglaw pay, of generally being unemployable after 40, and of developing expertise in a skillset that can easily become obsolete.

It is true that there is more demand for STEM majors than for liberal arts majors, but STEM is hardly the "grass is greener" field that TLS portrays it to be. In reality, there are very few careers that give you any sort of stability in boomer America.

To each his own. To me, the working for NASA sending rovers hundreds of millions of miles and exploring uncharted worlds is the pinnacle of human achievement. Too bad I'm terrible at math.

If I could be like Neil deGrasse Tyson...wow

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:07 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:To each his own. To me, the working for NASA sending rovers hundreds of millions of miles and exploring uncharted worlds is the pinnacle of human achievement. Too bad I'm terrible at math.

If I could be like Neil deGrasse Tyson...wow

Oh, I'm sure the very top engineers get to do cool stuff, but they are the exception and not the rule. I just take issue with your statement that'll he'll have way more possibilities in engineering than in law. Even for the top engineers, they are making 80k-100k (http://www.dailytech.com/Former+NASA+Sp ... e25181.htm) and can't find comparable jobs once they are pushed out. Financially, biglaw + exit options are way more lucrative than engineering. And as an IP lawyer, you get to work on some really cool stuff, such as unreleased tech.

ETA: I'll grant you that being Neil DeGrasse Tyson is pretty badass and would beat being a lawyer.

Return to “What are my chances?”