What's the biggest fish I can catch?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
peanutusa

What's the biggest fish I can catch?

Postby peanutusa » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 pm

By biggest fish I mean good job placement/quality and ranking (although not THE ultimate factor). I want to eventually work back East, perhaps in big law. This is my last chance and possibly the highest my numbers can go (very low LSAT a year ago).

Which is the highest school I could reach for considering my not so great numbers? I'm looking into ED/EA as something that could possibly bump me into a T20 school.

- LSAT: 168
- GPA: 3.4
- URM/immigrant background
- 1 year WE at law firm
- A lot of leadership experience

Thoughts?

fatduck

Re: What's the biggest fish I can catch?

Postby fatduck » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:03 pm

peanutusa wrote:By biggest fish I mean good job placement/quality and ranking (although not THE ultimate factor). I want to eventually work back East, perhaps in big law. This is my last chance and possibly the highest my numbers can go (very low LSAT a year ago).

Which is the highest school I could reach for considering my not so great numbers? I'm looking into ED/EA as something that could possibly bump me into a T20 school.

- 1 year WE at law firm

Thoughts?

i don't know a ton about URM admissions but i think you're selling yourself pretty short. i think you've got a good shot at several T14 schools.

Postby 2014 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:26 pm

If you are URM (AA, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Native American) then you should blanket 4-14 as well as probably Vandy, GW, BC, BU, Fordham if any of those interest you. You will have T14 options available though, probably with money.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:35 pm

What URM?

peanutusa

Postby peanutusa » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:55 pm

Mexican (Female)

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:04 am

Lower T14 seems in play, Cornell and GULC that is. Michigan too (they like URMs). In at texas and Vandy

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:37 pm

Retake if you can. With a 170+ you're good for nearly anywhere.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:57 pm

mr.hands wrote:Lower T14 seems in play, Cornell and GULC that is. Michigan too (they like URMs). In at texas and Vandy

not michigan - they got legal issues, so no urm boost

Postby 071816 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:11 am

dingbat wrote:
mr.hands wrote:Lower T14 seems in play, Cornell and GULC that is. Michigan too (they like URMs). In at texas and Vandy

lawschoolnumbers.com disagrees with you bro lol

OP definitely has a shot a Michigan.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:41 am

peanutusa wrote:Mexican (Female)

Mexican or Mexican American?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:42 am

dingbat wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=190176#p5743745

peanutusa

Postby peanutusa » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:10 am

Thanks for the posts!

I'm reluctant to retake mostly because I started off low (150s) and it has taken me many tries to get 168.

Obviously, not banking on URM but thought it could help (along with ED) at some reach schools where my numbers wouldn't normally fly.

Is there a difference between Mexican (my case) vs. Mexican-American? I don't know if adcoms boost one more than the other.

Postby 2014 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Actually I'm not sure of the answer to that. Are you studying here on a visa and going back to Mexico after graduation or are you working on citizenship? If you are a Mexican student basically studying abroad in the US for law school you might not get a minority boost, but again I'm not sure.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:49 pm

2014 wrote:Actually I'm not sure of the answer to that. Are you studying here on a visa and going back to Mexico after graduation or are you working on citizenship? If you are a Mexican student basically studying abroad in the US for law school you might not get a minority boost, but again I'm not sure.

not 100% sure, but in my understanding, international students are NOT given much, if any, boost. The MA boost is somewhat like the equivalent of 4-5 LSAT points, meaning your stats would put you in the NYU, Penn, Berkeley range, but in your situation, I wouldn't expect anything above GULC, Texas, and Vandy. However, you definitely should apply to Cornell, NU, Duke, Michigan, NYU, Penn and UVA. Just don't expect the same outcomes as LSN will show for URMs.

peanutusa

Postby peanutusa » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:31 pm

2014 wrote:Actually I'm not sure of the answer to that. Are you studying here on a visa and going back to Mexico after graduation or are you working on citizenship? If you are a Mexican student basically studying abroad in the US for law school you might not get a minority boost, but again I'm not sure.

Studying here since middle school and becoming a citizen in 2 years :D

Penn would be amazing (I really like the school and city) and I would be very happy with Cornell/GULC as well.

I'm understanding that Penn would be hard to get but not completely impossible.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:42 pm

peanutusa wrote:

Penn would be amazing (I really like the school and city) and I would be very happy with Cornell/GULC as well.

I think your results are going to be incredibly unpredictable, as you are probably going to be treated as neither a Mexican or Mexican-American, but something kind of in the middle.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:15 pm

peanutusa wrote:

Honestly, I don't think you'll get a huge boost. If you do get a URM boost, you'll have a really solid shot at Cornell. GULC is in play. Penn is really unlikely. Like I said earlier, send Michigan an app

Postby 2014 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Yeah, complete unknown here. I stand behind my advice to blanket 4-14 and east coast T1s that interest you and hope for the best.

Postby 052220151 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:43 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
dingbat wrote:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6#p5743745

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grutter_v._Bollinger

I think this settles it.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:02 pm

bigdogmoe wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
dingbat wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=190176#p5743745

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grutter_v._Bollinger

I think this settles it.

yeah, I think these two links basically show that Michigan has no different a policy toward URMs than any other law school. It's not the same as having a quota, a la UVA and Texas with in-state students.

bigvinny

Postby bigvinny » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:49 pm

fatduck wrote:
peanutusa wrote:By biggest fish I mean good job placement/quality and ranking (although not THE ultimate factor). I want to eventually work back East, perhaps in big law. This is my last chance and possibly the highest my numbers can go (very low LSAT a year ago).

- 1 year WE at law firm

Thoughts?

i don't know a ton about URM admissions but i think you're selling yourself pretty short. i think you've got a good shot at several T14 schools.

This is bad advice. You are mostly out at T20 schools (but definitely still apply anyway). Minnesota, Washington, and Emory should be your safeties with the lower T14 as your reaches.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:23 pm

bigvinny wrote:
fatduck wrote:

- 1 year WE at law firm

Thoughts?

This is bad advice. You are mostly out at T20 schools (but definitely still apply anyway). Minnesota, Washington, and Emory should be your safeties with the lower T14 as your reaches.

Objectively false. I have an immigrant friend with very similar stats who got Northwestern and GULC.

bigvinny

Postby bigvinny » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:50 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
bigvinny wrote:
fatduck wrote:

- 1 year WE at law firm

Thoughts?

Objectively false. I have an immigrant friend with very similar stats who got Northwestern and GULC.

Either way, he should worry more about applying to the right law school than catching fish.

Return to “What are my chances?”