john marshall chicago spring 2013 program Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
androstan

Gold

Re: john marshall chicago spring 2013 program

Post by androstan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:03 pm

mavshoosiers4life wrote:150 lsat 3.29 gpa
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Put in your numbers. Poof, your chances of admission.

Also, retake the LSAT.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:25 pm

mavshoosiers4life wrote:not positive, but i met with someone who went from cooley to depaul as a transfer, so i assume if i can do well, i could probably do something similar
This is the most depressing success story I have every heard.

ben2587

New

Post by ben2587 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:28 pm

OP, there are many things wrong with this thread. As a former JMLS student, I PMed you my unsolicited advice.
Last edited by ben2587 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:31 pm

What does it take to transfer from Cooley to T14? I've heard of people transferring from Cooley to T1 but never Cooley to Harvard or Cooley to Michigan.

ben2587

New

Post by ben2587 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:35 pm

DaRascal wrote:What does it take to transfer from Cooley to T14? I've heard of people transferring from Cooley to T1 but never Cooley to Harvard or Cooley to Michigan.
There is a reason you have never heard of it happening before.

Only thing I can imagine is; #1 in your class + military service + URM + LGBT. Something close to that formula.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tigershark

New

Post by tigershark » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:07 pm

mavshoosiers4life wrote:150 lsat 3.29 gpa
It pains me that people like you think going to a TTT is your only option. Oh, you're going to do SUPER well and transfer? Probably not. No, I'm not being mean or negative but it's pretty much written in stone that you shouldn't go to a shitty school with the intent of transfering because

Why not take a year off and study? Surely you're capable of better than a 150? How many practice tests did you take?

You really need to think about whether or not you will be satisfied with a JD that reads John Marshall Law School when you're jobless and $200k in debt. I mean, JMLS has higher tuition than the Chicago T2s! At least if you're going to waste your money, try to waste less of it.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:28 pm

mavshoosiers4life wrote:just because the job prospects aren't great, what makes you think one cannot get a job from the school? i know many graduates from the school with very good jobs.
Bro I've got about the same GPA as you do and started in the low 150's on the LSAT. I listened to TLS and took a year off. Now I'm PTing in the mid/upper 160's with two months to go before the October LSAT. I plan to break 170 and snag a T14. You should do the same.

Why? Because you can. And because it would very likely be the worst fucking decision you ever made if you didn't. John Marshall Law School and nearly all the other schools that will accept your current numbers create more unemployed, unemployable people with $200,000+ in NON-DISCHARGEABLE debt than they create employed lawyers with $200,000+ in NON-DISCHARGEABLE debt. Would you bet $200,000 on a coin flip, broski?

I know somebody with a Juris Doctorate from John Marshall Law School. She works as a self-employed yoga instructor because nobody will pay her to be a lawyer.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:45 pm

North wrote:
mavshoosiers4life wrote:Would you bet $200,000 on a coin flip, broski?

I know somebody with a Juris Doctorate from John Marshall Law School. She works as a self-employed yoga instructor because nobody will pay her to be a lawyer.
Coin flip chance of work as an attorney. A much lower chance of actually paying off that debt. JMLS Atlanta has a 0% "large firm score."

Also, 15.9% "unemployed." You've got about a 16% chance of living in financial ruin for most of your adult life.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Why should he listen to us? We're clearly elitist jerks. He's special, you know. He will make it to the top 10 percent of the class. He is a special snowflake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:08 pm

DaRascal wrote:What does it take to transfer from Cooley to T14? I've heard of people transferring from Cooley to T1 but never Cooley to Harvard or Cooley to Michigan.
Retaking the LSAT.

mavshoosiers4life

New

Post by mavshoosiers4life » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:09 pm

chill out there catholicgirl, i never called u an elitist. and i never said i'd be top 10%. dont appreciate the sarcasm. i wasn't being rude or anything to you.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:10 pm

top30man wrote:
Retaking the LSAT.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:40 pm

ben2587 wrote:

Only thing I can imagine is; #1 in your class + military service + URM + LGBT. Something close to that formula.
That's nuts. How likely is it to find anyone with a combination of all those at any law school let alone Cooley? I almost want to doubt that there's ever been anyone in the history of law school with all that going for them.

Well at least the lay prestige at the schools isn't too bad. JMLS is named after a famous Supreme Court Justice and Cooley could pass for being named after a president.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:45 pm

DaRascal wrote:
ben2587 wrote:

That's nuts. How likely is it to find anyone with a combination of all those at any law school let alone Cooley? I almost want to doubt that there's ever been anyone in the history of law school with all that going for them.

Well at least the lay prestige at the schools isn't too bad. JMLS is named after a famous Supreme Court Justice and Cooley could pass for being named after a president.
what would it take for you to quit tls? how much money would i need to put in your paypal account for you to accept a permanent ban?

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:56 pm

No money, fatduck. But there is a way.

I need a really hot girl: Slender, dirty blonde hair, hazel eyes, wears jean shorts and tight clothes that accentuate her awesome physique. I'd prefer if she didn't have a southern accent but if she does that's OK too. I'd also like her to have a history of teasing other guys. Not cheating on her boyfriend but teasing other guys. I want to have some drama in this relationship so that I can go to a bar or a club and catch her teasing some random dude.

But I want her to be faithful for the most part. She also needs to have an average intelligence level. Don't want her to be really boring but also don't want her to be a total nerd.

If you can make this happen.... Oh baby that'd be great. :P

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:20 pm

DaRascal wrote:No money, fatduck. But there is a way.

I need a really hot girl: Slender, dirty blonde hair, hazel eyes, wears jean shorts and tight clothes that accentuate her awesome physique. I'd prefer if she didn't have a southern accent but if she does that's OK too. I'd also like her to have a history of teasing other guys. Not cheating on her boyfriend but teasing other guys. I want to have some drama in this relationship so that I can go to a bar or a club and catch her teasing some random dude.

But I want her to be faithful for the most part. She also needs to have an average intelligence level. Don't want her to be really boring but also don't want her to be a total nerd.

If anyone can it's fatduck.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:22 pm

Yukos wrote:

If anyone can it's fatduck.
i'll just wait out the body of work ban

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Dude, study for you're retake.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:12 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote: Dude, study for you're retake.
*twitch

tigershark

New

Post by tigershark » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:50 pm

splitsplat wrote:
MillerTheThriller wrote: Dude, study for you're retake.
*twitch

mavshoosiers4life

New

Post by mavshoosiers4life » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:49 pm

i am retaking, but am still considering the school as a possibility.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:01 am

mavshoosiers4life wrote:i am retaking
You won't regret it. Use the resources, support system, and advice on this site and study like the direction of your entire legal career and twenty years of financial stability is riding on a 170. Many of us (including me) are doing or have done exactly that.

bigvinny

New

Post by bigvinny » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:44 pm

mavshoosiers4life wrote:i am retaking, but am still considering the school as a possibility.
I think that is a good choice. However, I do know people that went to this school and came out with successful careers and a wealth of knowledge. It seems that many people on TLS feed off of each other with the elitist advice.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:12 pm

bigvinny wrote:
mavshoosiers4life wrote:i am retaking, but am still considering the school as a possibility.
I think that is a good choice. However, I do know people that went to this school and came out with successful careers and a wealth of knowledge. It seems that many people on TLS feed off of each other with the elitist advice.
I don't know anyone who went here so I don't have any inspirational anecdotes, but I know how to read employment statistics

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:46 pm

bigvinny wrote:
It is not elitist advice to tell someone to avoid massive debt for a 41% chance at a full-time, real legal job, you dumbass. Less than HALF of the students at this school got true lawyering jobs. And I'd bet you my left nut that most of these jobs are simply terrible jobs. JMLS is probably a fine school with nice professors and a nice building, but it has objectively terrible job prospects, and that's the bottom line.

Also, if you want to play the anecdote game, I also know of one guy who went to JMLS who got great grades (like top of the class kind of grades). The dude is a buddy of mine and is a really great guy. I figured with his grades as good as they were and his great personality, he'd be able to find something good for his 2L job. Nope. As far as I know, he was doing like insurance defense work at a smaller firm this summer, and I don't know what his offer situation is. I'm sure he'll get something and wind up employed, and thankfully he had a great scholarship so his debt will be somewhat manageable, but it was hard for me to see him struggle to find a good summer job. He should have done better.

But that's neither here nor there, as I'm not big on anecdotal stories when there is good data to be had. All you need to know is:

41.1% were employed in full-time, bar-required jobs in a non-solo capacity (LinkRemoved)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”