Delete please Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cal1234

New

Delete please

Post by cal1234 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Thank you all for the comments!

Delete please
Last edited by cal1234 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Nova

Platinum

Re: 3.87 GPA 170 LSAT

Post by Nova » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Writing an addendum about being a poor test taker who scored in the 97th percentile sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Slim shot at Stanford and Harvard. Toss up at Boalt. Ok shot at Columbia and Chicago. Good chance at everything else from NYU down.

http://myLSN.info/
http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=dfyen

cal1234

New

Post by cal1234 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand why you would say slim chance for Harvard, but why Stanford? I was looking at the breakdown provided by TLS and 3.87 / 170 is exactly the median for Stanford.

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:21 pm

Honestly, if you come off in your application the way you came off in your OP, you're not gonna make any friends on any adcomms.

If you don't have an Olympic gold medal, your softs are not "incredible."

It sounds like you have an interesting background, but make sure you tell that story sounding a lot more humble than you did here. You're also not exactly one-of-a-kind. There are going to be many applicants who are not native english speakers (I am one), and there are going to be many applicants who succeded despite growing up in a difficult economic situtation. You need to be able to tell your story in a way that you will be a strong asset to the student body as a whole--don't write it with the idea that whoever is reading your application will think that you are so unique that they'll have to let you in.

And to echo above: don't write an addendum about how you're not a strong test taker when you have a 97th percentile score. It will make you look like an idiot.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's better that you know this now. Good luck with your cycle. I think harvard and yale are big reaches. Stanford and Columbia are somewhat in range, and you have a good shot at everything else.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:25 pm

cal1234 wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. I would understand why you would say slim chance for Harvard, but why Stanford? I was looking at the breakdown provided by TLS and 3.87 / 170 is exactly the median for Stanford.
Class size. Stanfords class size is like 170. Harvard's is like 500. Stanford also cares a lot more about softs than H, which leads to unpredictability. Stanford is also slightly more selective (9% acceptance rate vs 11% for H)

Statistically, on LSN, over the past 5 cycles of applicants, 2/21 have been admitted to S with a 170 and 3.85-3.89 GPAs. http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=9fmpn

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cal1234

New

Post by cal1234 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:28 pm

@RSterling

Thank you for the advice. I think you brought up some good points and yes, I see what you mean about my first post. I did not really mean to come off that way.
And about my specific situation, I do not feel comfortable sharing too much of it here, but "growing up poor" was only a part of it. Hope you understand.

@Nova

Thanks for the clarification. Although I don't know how reliable this information is given the small sample size (even if Stanford's class size itself is small)

I guess I will ask this here as well since no one is replying to my other thread:
cal1234 wrote:Hello,

Forgive me if the question has been asked before, but I could not find the answer. If you have a Stanford school specific Letter of Recommendation, who should the recommender address it to precisely?

thanks!
Last edited by cal1234 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:46 pm

cal1234 wrote: Thanks for the clarification. Although I don't know how reliable this information is, given how small the sample size is (even if Stanford's class size itself is small)
The MyLSNinfo is really just to suppliment the other points: Much smaller class size, lower acceptance rate, and additional emphasis on softs that make it less of a numbers game. I agree that 20 applicants over 5 years does not provide anything close to a full picture. Rather, it is a peak through a key hole.
cal1234 wrote: I guess I will ask this here as well since no one is replying to my other thread:
cal1234 wrote: Forgive me if the question has been asked before, but I could not find the answer. If you have a Stanford school specific Letter of Recommendation, who should the recommender address it to precisely?
If I were you, I would have it addressed generally to "The Stanford law school admissions committee", since many of them will read the letter.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:22 am

cal1234 wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. I understand why you would say slim chance for Harvard, but why Stanford? I was looking at the breakdown provided by TLS and 3.87 / 170 is exactly the median for Stanford.
Median (or above-median) numbers are far from being any guarantee of admission to SLS. Here's how the 278 applicants on LSN with LSAT scores of 172-180 and GPAs of 3.87-4.0 over the last six cycles have fared: http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=991ty.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:07 am

You may get one of Harvard or Stanford if you tone down the 'woe is me' sentiment. I think you'll have a good run this upcoming cycle, a lot of schools will be looking for a candidate like you. Just try not to annoy them too much with your personal statement.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:50 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:You may get one of Harvard or Stanford if you tone down the 'woe is me' sentiment. I think you'll have a good run this upcoming cycle, a lot of schools will be looking for a candidate like you. Just try not to annoy them too much with your personal statement.
Yeah. Dude, chill out. Geez...

You'll break into T6. Maybe H or S.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”