Misdemeanor on Record: Can I still get into Law School? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
reba90

New

Misdemeanor on Record: Can I still get into Law School?

Post by reba90 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:32 pm

This summer I was charged with criminal trespassing and public intox (long story short, I drank way too much and passed out on the couch in my old apartment: very dumb, I know). The public intox charge was dismissed, but I pleaded guilty to Criminal Tresspassing (a 4th-degree misdemeanor). I was sentenced to a year of unsupervised probation, after which I can have it expunged from my record.

I have no previous run-ins with the law, and the incident was truly out of character. However, I am left to wonder: did I ruin my chances at getting into Law School? Particularly those in the top-100? I will be applying to schools this winter.

Any insight would be much appreciated

-Thank you

TopHatToad

New

Re: Misdemeanor on Record: Can I still get into Law School?

Post by TopHatToad » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:49 pm

Despite how recent your charges were, it should be fine. Be completely upfront about it on your applications, accept full responsibility (that is, don't blame it on bad luck or circumstances), and try to demonstrate remorse and general transformation since. If the sincerity is apparent, it should affect your applications very little to not at all.

Amoore114133

New

Post by Amoore114133 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:19 pm

misdemeanors don't matter, but be sure to write a good C & F and try to get off probation as soon as possible if you even are on probation.

>>>>>>>personal experience, it's all about your numbers.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:09 am

You should be ok so long as you disclose it, this is probably addendum worthy. It might also be worth looking into the character and fitness process in the states you think you may practice in.

But be prepared to settle for Tulane.

Bronze

Post by 1776 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:13 pm

reba90 wrote:This summer I was charged with criminal trespassing and public intox (long story short, I drank way too much and passed out on the couch in my old apartment: very dumb, I know). The public intox charge was dismissed, but I pleaded guilty to Criminal Tresspassing (a 4th-degree misdemeanor). I was sentenced to a year of unsupervised probation, after which I can have it expunged from my record.

I have no previous run-ins with the law, and the incident was truly out of character. However, I am left to wonder: did I ruin my chances at getting into Law School? Particularly those in the top-100? I will be applying to schools this winter.

Any insight would be much appreciated

-Thank you
It's all good. Don't worry about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”