URM chances for Law School

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Bankrupt257

URM chances for Law School

Postby Bankrupt257 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:14 pm

I am going to keep this short & sweet:

URM (Black Male)
-3.25 UG GPA - Public Univ - Economics Major, International Relations minor (3.9 in minor, those Econ classes were tough)
-150's LSAT - Practice - Taking in Oct - Aiming to hit 170 (i bombed only one section (not logic games - guess thinking like an economist was worth it in UG), if i correct that, my scores would jump easily to 160's)
-Took grad classes at Georgetown, etc. (no masters)
-1 yr full time work experience - Research (DC)
-Taking more graduate classes this year to buy time until Fall 2013 (I am in a masters program, but I am just testing the market to see if i can get something good. I have nothing to lose from NOT attending law school).

School List:

1. Cornell - Early Action - Just applying because it is unbinding
2. UVA - ED - Since I am a virginia resident according to last years statistics (368 enrolled), 40% is reserved for instate residents = 147 will be VA residents. 678 VA applicants = 147/678 = 21% chance of admittance alone. Plus any benefit of ED and a URM. Id easily commit to UVA if I am accepted
3. W&M - Another public in state tuition school. no documented benefit of being in state
4. W&L
5. Howard - They Get V2-V10 on campus. This is my target as of now (3.2GPA/152LSAT). Trying to get some $$$
6. Univ of Richmond - I am pretty sure I would get accepted.

*Goal is to practice Bankruptcy, Tax, or Corporate Law. Size of the firm doesnt really matter to me, as long as I pull 90k+ I can pay back all of my loans.

What are my chances? Any schools I missed that I could get into or that would be good for Bankruptcy/Tax? Also I dont have to stay in VA (actually would like to leave, but they have good law schools and it would be cheaper)
Last edited by Bankrupt257 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Re: URM chances for Law School

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Where do you want to practice?

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:22 pm

Your current range of LSAT scores is between 150-170. Come back when you have a better idea of what you're gonna score

Bankrupt257

Postby Bankrupt257 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:23 pm

I honestly have no preference. Any major or semi-regional market really. I am more concerned with getting a job in bankruptcy/tax/corporate than where I practice. I have no wife, kids or debt (except UG). I can go anywhere.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:31 pm

thederangedwang wrote:Your current range of LSAT scores is between 150-170. Come back when you have a better idea of what you're gonna score

THIS. Hypos are pointless.
Grizz wrote:Image

Here are LSAT tips from high scorers:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=396

These posters are a great support group:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=175180

Good luck!

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:38 pm

Bankrupt257 wrote:I honestly have no preference. Any major or semi-regional market really. I am more concerned with getting a job in bankruptcy/tax/corporate than where I practice. I have no wife, kids or debt (except UG). I can go anywhere.

The better the school, the better chance you have of landing meaningful employment in bankruptcy/tax/corporate. Dont worry about what specific schools say about their specialty programs.

Also, Howard has a bullshit top 15% stipulation on their scholarships in order to retain them. Howard is not worth your time, IMO. You can do way better.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:42 pm

Bankrupt257 wrote:I honestly have no preference. Any major or semi-regional market really. I am more concerned with getting a job in bankruptcy/tax/corporate than where I practice. I have no wife, kids or debt (except UG). I can go anywhere.

If you can't get into the 170s (i.e a score high enough to get you into Harvard) I would strongly consider going to a good Texas regional school for free or close to it (SMU or Houston). There is a good corporate work to do in that state, their economy is not hurting like the rest of the country, and those schools receive enough respect such that, if you get good grades, you can get a very good job. Going to one of those schools for free is a good deal. If you do poorly you can just drop out after first semester and you won't have debt. Non HYS top 14 at sticker, which is probably what you're looking at if you miss the 170s and land in the 160s is NOT a good idea. If you land below the median (EXTREMELY likely) you will be in BIG trouble with HUGE debt. The competition to get into a safe grade range at a top 14 combined with sticker debt is just too risky ITE.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Bankrupt257 wrote:I have no... debt (except UG).

"I have no debt except for all the debt I took on to finance college." Kidding aside, depending on how much you have it could have be an important issue on which school you choose (though some would argue that previous debt is not important).

Also, what Nova said. There are plenty of websites out there to test out your hypothetical chances.

Bankrupt257

Postby Bankrupt257 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:45 pm

Hmmmm ok, well thats definently good to know. I am really new to all of this. I was about to apply for DePaul, Hofstra, etc. when i was a junior (2010), but with the economy falling apart as well as me hitting a 136 the last time i took a practice test then, I pretty much gave up on it. So I figure I apply as soon as apps come available, take the October LSAT and whatever happens, happens.

I read that most AA's dont hit above 158 and are given a 5-10pt handicap in admissions..so obviously with my goals (and getting out of the crappy program I am in now) I am really trying to hit atleast 160+

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:48 pm

Bankrupt257 wrote:Hmmmm ok, well thats definently good to know. I am really new to all of this. I was about to apply for DePaul, Hofstra, etc. when i was a junior (2010), but with the economy falling apart as well as me hitting a 136 the last time i took a practice test then, I pretty much gave up on it. So I figure I apply as soon as apps come available, take the October LSAT and whatever happens, happens.

I read that most AA's dont hit above 158 and are given a 5-10pt handicap in admissions..so obviously with my goals (and getting out of the crappy program I am in now) I am really trying to hit atleast 160+

The more I hear about your situation the more I think the Texas regionals are great for you. Dallas and Houston are not hurting like many of the other markets and they do big time corporate work. Unless you get into the 170s you really won't get a substantial scholarship (half or more) at a top 14 and the competition there is just too high given the risk. SMU and UHouston would be GREAT targets for you. I honestly think you could get a full ride to one of them.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Bankrupt257 wrote:Hmmmm ok, well thats definently good to know. I am really new to all of this. I was about to apply for DePaul, Hofstra, etc. when i was a junior (2010), but with the economy falling apart as well as me hitting a 136 the last time i took a practice test then, I pretty much gave up on it. So I figure I apply as soon as apps come available, take the October LSAT and whatever happens, happens.

1. Don't let whatever happens happen. If you don't do well on the LSAT you can always retake (3 times per 2 years). If your retakes don't go well you don't have to go to law school.

2. Most people (of every race/ethnicity) who take the LSAT don't get above a 158. Statistically, yes, AAs do worse, but that should not mean a thing to you as an individual.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Bankrupt257 wrote: I read that most AA's dont hit above 158 and are given a 5-10pt handicap in admissions..so obviously with my goals (and getting out of the crappy program I am in now) I am really trying to hit atleast 160+

That is mostly true but consider this...

You are just as capable as non-URMs of scoring in the high 160s/low 170s. A schools LSAT median is the most importaint factor in admission. If you hit median or above as an AA male, any given law school will pretty much roll out the red carpet for you and throw tons of money at you.

Here are those calculators:
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com
http://www.mylsn.info

LSP isnt the best for URM splitters though. I prefer MyLSN, which pulls data from about 200k LSN accounts.

BruceWayne wrote:The more I hear about your situation the more I think the Texas regionals are great for you. Dallas and Houston are not hurting like many of the other markets and they do big time corporate work.

+1

As a Texas native, I endorse this.

Return to “What are my chances?”