161/166/169,international,3.3gpa,chance at T14?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lxhyss

161/166/169,international,3.3gpa,chance at T14?

Postby lxhyss » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:28 pm

Hi guys,
Given my gpa and LSAT, any chance at T14? Would 3 LSATs be viewd negtively? And as far as I know, our gpa doesn't matter so much as Americans.(actually we got our gpa evaluated by LSAC and mine has been evaluated as "above average", just worse than "suprior", the best evaluation one can get).
My soft: chief editor of a journal of my department, work part-time in a small local law firm every summer since freshman year and already graduated from college this June, hoping to apply 13FALL.
Thanks for your input.

UnamSanctam

Re: 161/166/169,international,3.3gpa,chance at T14?

Postby UnamSanctam » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:31 am

It's a toss-up. Some people with your stats may hit T14, some will not. I had a 3.3/169 and got in ED at Michigan (but I'm also a local). Your best bet is to apply to splitter-friendly schools like Michigan/Virginia (ED), Northwestern (if you have 1-2+ years of work experience after UG), and Georgetown.

lxhyss

Postby lxhyss » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:51 am

UnamSanctam wrote:It's a toss-up. Some people with your stats may hit T14, some will not. I had a 3.3/169 and got in ED at Michigan (but I'm also a local). Your best bet is to apply to splitter-friendly schools like Michigan/Virginia (ED), Northwestern (if you have 1-2+ years of work experience after UG), and Georgetown.

Thank you for your input. The toss-up situation is exactly the thing that makes me crazy. I've always been dreaming of Umich because of its library. I'll try ED, thank you again!
BTW, post at midnight is not a good idea, really........

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:32 pm

i got into gulc with a 169/3.4 ... app cycle next year should work in your favor but its still a long shot. you may have a shot at cornell. i disagree w/ above about NW, i think you need 170 for a good chance, but do agree your best bet is probably ED Mich.

If I were you I would EA cornell (non-binding), ED Mich, apply RD Georgetown & if you miss out on mich, you can switch your RD to ED at gulc

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:35 pm

i want to say you have a good shot at ED UVA because it would mean i did, but I do not think that is the case.

Take it for what its worth as I am applying this cycle and probably know as much as you do, but I would say your best bet at t14 would be ED GULC. Though I know pretty much nothing about Mich, especially their ED bump.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:45 pm

Br3v wrote:i want to say you have a good shot at ED UVA because it would mean i did, but I do not think that is the case.

Take it for what its worth as I am applying this cycle and probably know as much as you do, but I would say your best bet at t14 would be ED GULC. Though I know pretty much nothing about Mich, especially their ED bump.

ya definitely agree with the bolded, thing about GULC ED is that the deadline for said applicants extends through jan which is dope as a sort of back up plan, if you will (though with OP's stats, it will definitely NOT be a back up plan haha)

I still support the mich sentiment b/c they are the only t14 (minus cornell) that has an LSAT median lower then 170 (169). though it is a HUGE longshot with OP's gpa, i still believe ED Mich --> ED gtown is TTC

lxhyss

Postby lxhyss » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:36 pm

Br3v wrote:i want to say you have a good shot at ED UVA because it would mean i did, but I do not think that is the case.

hahaha, another stats twin here.....
You are right to say that UVA is not a realistic goal, but I love the library in Mich so much :D , and know nothing about GULC's ED.......
Good luck this cycle dude!

lxhyss

Postby lxhyss » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:46 pm

TLSwag wrote:

ya definitely agree with the bolded, thing about GULC ED is that the deadline for said applicants extends through jan which is dope as a sort of back up plan, if you will (though with OP's stats, it will definitely NOT be a back up plan haha)

I still support the mich sentiment b/c they are the only t14 (minus cornell) that has an LSAT median lower then 170 (169). though it is a HUGE longshot with OP's gpa, i still believe ED Mich --> ED gtown is TTC

Maybe that's the best strategy I can choose from given my stats. No intention to offend you but I heard that GULC‘s reputation is not very good. But how comes?I thought DC would be a perfect place for legal practice, but why people keep on saying that GULC is not worth going with money less than half-ride?
P.S. Still fighting for the PS, my writing sucks.....

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:11 am

lxhyss wrote:
TLSwag wrote:

Maybe that's the best strategy I can choose from given my stats. No intention to offend you but I heard that GULC‘s reputation is not very good. But how comes?I thought DC would be a perfect place for legal practice, but why people keep on saying that GULC is not worth going with money less than half-ride?

it's not a great option at sticker (but rlly what is minus the T6 IMO)... and this is b/c of its big law placement (which was under 40% last year). if you can reduce the debt (i am going for a reasonable ~75K), its still a t14 and good option. its the only t14 i got.

and on that note, no offense to you, but i don't think your stats are going to afford you the luxury of picking t14s as you please. you are going to have to make a decision to attend a cornell/gtown (at BEST) for sticker or go to a lower ranked/regional school on a big scholarship.

lxhyss

Postby lxhyss » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:26 am

TLSwag wrote:
lxhyss wrote:
TLSwag wrote:

it's not a great option at sticker (but rlly what is minus the T6 IMO)... and this is b/c of its big law placement (which was under 40% last year). if you can reduce the debt (i am going for a reasonable ~75K), its still a t14 and good option. its the only t14 i got.

and on that note, no offense to you, but i don't think your stats are going to afford you the luxury of picking t14s as you please. you are going to have to make a decision to attend a cornell/gtown (at BEST) for sticker or go to a lower ranked/regional school on a big scholarship.

Are non-T14 worth attending for an international who want to work in US after LS(read:jobs like clerk and small firms that can't sponsor H1B are excluded)?

Return to “What are my chances?”