Chance Me: 173, 3.78, Interesting Work Experience

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Chance Me: 173, 3.78, Interesting Work Experience

Postby callum » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:20 pm

The basics: graduated a few years ago from a top undergrad with a reputation for grade deflation. 3.78 GPA, humanities major. Year of non-profit work experience through of AmeriCorps. LSAT 173.

Now, the interesting stuff: for the past few years, I’ve worked for a small think tank based in a major East Coast city that engages a peer group of politicians, corporate leaders, judiciaries (including several members of the US Supreme Court), academics, and other government leaders. To put this in perspective, I recently drafted a letter to a certain Supreme Court Justice and am scheduled to have a working lunch with three more at some time in the coming months. Through my work, I have had the opportunity to meet several major US ambassadors as well as senior members of the European Commission. Currently, I am planning a major event to involve a number of high-ranking US military officers. I won’t provide many more details since the organization I work for prizes discretion and its own obscurity. And no, it’s not the CIA.

Obviously, any work experience at all is difficult to quantify in terms of law school admissions. Since this isn’t the usual consulting/i-banking/Teach for America/PeaceCorps narrative, I’d like the groupthink of TLS to take a shot and chance me.

Re: Chance Me: 173, 3.78, Interesting Work Experience

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:27 pm

My guess is out at YSH.
In at two or more of CCN.
In at two or more of MVPB.
Basically a lock at DNGC.

Postby FlanSolo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:30 pm

I'd say your chances of someone sarcastically posting links to the LSN related resources is really high.

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Out at HYS and in at CCN (Chi and NYU with money) unless someone famous/important can write you write a recommendation and/or place phone calls on your behalf.

Also, I'm curious as to which think tank you work for in DC. PM me if you wouldn't mind saying more.

Postby rcthebigred1 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:58 pm

That sounds like an awfully fancy job. My hunch is that your position would provide a boost similar to that of investment banking or consulting (i.e. only modest), unless of course you managed to get one of the important people to write you a LOR.

Return to “What are my chances?”