Bored at work? Chance me at some schools? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Easy-E

Platinum

Bored at work? Chance me at some schools?

Post by Easy-E » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:40 am

Couple of safeties and a couple of (pretty obvious) reaches. If you have a guess at how much (if any) $ I'd see, that'd be cool to know too. I just want to get an idea of what I'm looking at with current numbers, as I'm still figuring out how much of my debt my family is willing assist with, and subsequently, how debt-averse I am.

3.1 169 2 years WE (leading energy consultant in the state). Non-URM.

Rutgers-N
Temple
Villanova
Cardozo
Fordham
BC
BU
George Washington
Georgetown
Cornell
NU

Didn't mention ED, but if you think that's worth it, please lemme know.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: Bored at work? Chance me at some schools?

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:47 am

http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=r3gqx

Rutgers-N- Accept
Temple- Accept
Villanova- Accept
Cardozo- Accept
Fordham- WL
BC- WL/Reject
BU- WL
George Washington- Accept/WL
Georgetown- WL/Reject
Cornell- Reject
NU- WL/Reject

You definitely have a shot at NU, Georgetown, or GWU if you have a solid application.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:49 am

emarxnj wrote:

Rutgers-N- Full tuition
Temple Ditto
Villanova uh-huh
Cardozo Yup
Fordham Nice scholarship
BC WL/Accept
BU WL/Accept
George Washington WL
Georgetown Ding
Cornell Ding
NU Possible

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:02 pm

I had a 3.3 169 when I applied this past cycle. You can see my results for some of these schools on LSN (same username there).

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:13 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=r3gqx

Rutgers-N- Accept
Temple- Accept
Villanova- Accept
Cardozo- Accept
Fordham- WL
BC- WL/Reject
BU- WL
Georgetown- WL/Reject
Cornell- Reject
NU- WL/Reject

You definitely have a shot at NU, Georgetown, or GWU if you have a solid application.
It's problematic to draw conclusions about OP's chances at NU and GULC from this search, because your search includes these schools' LSAT medians, while the OP's score is below median for both. One more point on the LSAT would make a very substantial difference for the OP, both with these schools, and with a couple of other T14s.

http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=y8xsz

http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=8juuk

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:23 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Rutgers-N $$$
Temple $$
Villanova $$
Cardozo $$
Fordham WL
BC WL
BU WL
George Washington $
Georgetown out
Cornell out
NU out
Individually, BC/BU/F & GULC/Cornell/NU are all long shots. Although, I think applying to all six gives you a decent shot to be admitted to at least one.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=r3gqx

Rutgers-N- Accept
Temple- Accept
Villanova- Accept
Cardozo- Accept
Fordham- WL
BC- WL/Reject
BU- WL
Georgetown- WL/Reject
Cornell- Reject
NU- WL/Reject

Planning on doing any extra essays if possible, pretty strong writer (though I'm sure everyone says t hat) so I hope that earns me a bit of credit.

minnbills wrote:

Fordham Nice scholarship
Think so? I kinda figured I'd get stuck with sticker there due to GPA, but some money would be great, and if IIRC their stips are only good-standing?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:37 pm

emarxnj wrote:
minnbills wrote:Fordham Nice scholarship
Think so? I kinda figured I'd get stuck with sticker there due to GPA, but some money would be great, and if IIRC their stips are only good-standing?
That is correct, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=189178

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:37 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:I had a 3.3 169 when I applied this past cycle. You can see my results for some of these schools on LSN (same username there).
Good to know, thanks!

Seems to be the consensus amongst a few people that applying to all those reach schools might land be an accept at one. I'll be honest though, I'm less inclined to attend BC/BU as I'm not sure I want to practice to Boston. Probably goes NYC>DC>Philly/Boston in terms of where I'd like to land. No other T-14 would be worth chucking a hail mary at aside from GULC and NU right?

Thank you to all who took the time to reply.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Fordham is pretty stingy, I don't think they'll give you *that* much. GW will give you a good bit, probably (especially if you ask for more, regardless of theor frst offer). You can either take that money or use it as leverage against similarly ranked schools. That's probably your best bet

Edit: just saw your last post. If you land a hail Mary at GULC, you're looking at sticker, which is terrifying

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:40 pm

emarxnj wrote: No other T-14 would be worth chucking a hail mary at aside from GULC and NU right?
I think Michigan is worth a shot.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Nova wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
minnbills wrote:Fordham Nice scholarship
That is correct, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=189178
Hmm. That info plus with the offer of support from my family, and my personal desire to live/work in NYC, and Fordham isn't looking bad. Though their Big Law placement could be much better.

Just curious, for those who come out of Fordham and don't land Big Law, whats the outcome? I actually have a pretty solid number of personal connections in NYC that I plan to utilize if necessary, but I'm just curious, it's not just BigLaw or bust (aka doc review) is it??

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:43 pm

mr.hands wrote:Fordham is pretty stingy, I don't think they'll give you *that* much. GW will give you a good bit, probably (especially if you ask for more, regardless of theor frst offer). You can either take that money or use it as leverage against similarly ranked schools. That's probably your best bet

Edit: just saw your last post. If you land a hail Mary at GULC, you're looking at sticker, which is terrifying
I suppose if I got into GULC, it would be good for leveraging against schools like GW and Fordham for more money? I also had heard Fordham was tight with schollys, but in a few threads I've heard of people with numbers similar to mine grabbing 20k. Anecdotal evidence and all that though.

Nova wrote:
emarxnj wrote: No other T-14 would be worth chucking a hail mary at aside from GULC and NU right?
I think Michigan is worth a shot.
I had considered there, as I understand they are big on the essays (although the #s are still most important I'm sure). They place into NYC or mostly Chicago (and Michigan of course)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:26 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
It's problematic to draw conclusions about OP's chances at NU and GULC from this search, because your search includes these schools' LSAT medians, while the OP's score is below median for both. One more point on the LSAT would make a very substantial difference for the OP, both with these schools, and with a couple of other T14s.

God damnit I'm doing everything to avoid another retake but you're not making it easy...

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:30 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

God damnit I'm doing everything to avoid another retake but you're not making it easy...
Might as well take one last shot at it with that October LSAT. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:22 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

Might as well take one last shot at it with that October LSAT. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.
Yeah...I know.

I've mentioned it before, but I really over-performed in LR on that test, while totally bombing the games section (-7). As much as I really don't want to retake it, I think I might have to. Even one or two points higher (with a presumably better curve) would make a world of difference.

I've been trying to find an answer about this, but can I apply in September, see how I do, and send a new score, or will they not even consider my app until they see the October score? I'm grasping at straws here I guess, but there's a couple schools that if snuck in at current numbers, I'd probably just go.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:29 pm

emarxnj wrote:I've been trying to find an answer about this, but can I apply in September, see how I do, and send a new score, or will they not even consider my app until they see the October score? I'm grasping at straws here I guess, but there's a couple schools that if snuck in at current numbers, I'd probably just go.
Even if you apply right after you get the October score, you'd be considered early by pretty much every school. If you want, you can apply in September, let them know you'll be taking the October LSAT, and see what happens. As long as they know your score is coming, I doubt any school would waitlist or reject you before the October scores come out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:34 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I've been trying to find an answer about this, but can I apply in September, see how I do, and send a new score, or will they not even consider my app until they see the October score? I'm grasping at straws here I guess, but there's a couple schools that if snuck in at current numbers, I'd probably just go.
Even if you apply right after you get the October score, you'd be considered early by pretty much every school. If you want, you can apply in September, let them know you'll be taking the October LSAT, and see what happens. As long as they know your score is coming, I doubt any school would waitlist or reject you before the October scores come out.
Sounds like I just need to man up and do October. Is basically anything before the end of November considered to be early? I want to get the best advantage possible, what with my shit GPA.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:40 pm

emarxnj wrote:Sounds like I just need to man up and do October. Is basically anything before the end of November considered to be early? I want to get the best advantage possible, what with my shit GPA.
Anything before Thanksgiving, really. Most schools don't start admitting until after they get back from the Thanksgiving break.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:01 am

Bumping this with a relevant concern...

If I retake in October and score somewhere in the 170-174 range (obviously not guaranteed), I'm still looking at sticker price for any T-14 I have a chance at, whether that be UVA ED, Cornell, Michigan or Northwestern, correct? I think I'd have a somewhat better shot at schools like Fordham, GWU, BC, and BU, but still most likely looking at sticker except Fordham.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:08 am

tfleming09 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Bumping this with a relevant concern...

If I retake in October and score somewhere in the 170-174 range (obviously not guaranteed), I'm still looking at sticker price for any T-14 I have a chance at, whether that be UVA ED, Cornell, Michigan or Northwestern, correct? I think I'd have a somewhat better shot at schools like Fordham, GWU, BC, and BU, but still most likely looking at sticker except Fordham.
Being a splitter means you'll be paying sticker or close to it pretty much everywhere except some TTTs

Figured. I guess the much stronger shot at Big Law from UVA for example would be worth it (to me) to pay sticker with some family help. I mentioned this before but didn't get much of an answer, whats the job prospects like for a Fordham grad who doesn't (and most don't) land Big Law? Let's assume regardless of debt, I do NOT want to work for 45k. Is there no middle ground, at least for those straight out of school? I wish I could say I had some loftier reasons for wanting to attend law school, but the money is a big reason. Just wish I had made the decision earlier in UG...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:37 am

tfleming09 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Figured. I guess the much stronger shot at Big Law from UVA for example would be worth it (to me) to pay sticker with some family help. I mentioned this before but didn't get much of an answer, whats the job prospects like for a Fordham grad who doesn't (and most don't) land Big Law? Let's assume regardless of debt, I do NOT want to work for 45k. Is there no middle ground, at least for those straight out of school? I wish I could say I had some loftier reasons for wanting to attend law school, but the money is a big reason. Just wish I had made the decision earlier in UG...
I mean, the outcome of someone who misses biglaw out of Fordham is going to depend on a number of factors. Those just outside of the top 20% will probably snag some worthwhile midsize firm work, median to bottom third probably grabs shitlaw, bottom third is abjectly boned.

Like, 40% of the class isn't grabbing JD required employment. Fuck that noise for 250K in the hole.

As a fellow splitter I can tell you you only have two options - pay sticker at a school that maximizes your shot at large firm work (UVA, Northwestern, other splitter friendly T14 schools not named Georgetown) while understanding your raw odds are about 50/50 at best of landing a job that lets you service your crippling debt OR go risk averse and go to some TTT for next to nothing but understand you have a non-negligible chance of never working as a lawyer.

Tough to be a splitter, breh. If you don't have location/cultural concerns choose option A, but be prepared to drop out of you suck after 1L (like, bottom third or below) and invest in a good amount of heartburn medication.
Yeah, its no fun. Who knew I should have given a shit about "Enjoyment of Music" freshman year at 8AM. Fordham is kind of looking like a decent option for me, since it sounds like I have SOME chance of money, and I have a good amount of connections in NYC vs any other city (aside from one family member in Chicago). Though, 40% without long-term JD-required is fucking brutal considering the total cost there.

I guess either path has risk. I can go to Rutgers, Temple, Dozo, etc for (I think) next to nothing if not nothing, but some of those schools are only putting half their graduates into JD-required, long-term positions, and a far, far smaller percentage in the kind of job I'd like (lets say >90k). On the other, the T-14s I would have a shot at do much better in Big Law, but if I didn't land that job, I'd be pretty fucked debt-wise. As I said, I will have some family support for debt, but we haven't discussed to what degree. I feel like it would be great to speak with some family/friends who could help me out job-wise, and see if I would have something guaranteed after school, but I don't know if I feel comfortable with that, especially before I'm even in school.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:12 am

emarxnj wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Figured. I guess the much stronger shot at Big Law from UVA for example would be worth it (to me) to pay sticker with some family help. I mentioned this before but didn't get much of an answer, whats the job prospects like for a Fordham grad who doesn't (and most don't) land Big Law? Let's assume regardless of debt, I do NOT want to work for 45k. Is there no middle ground, at least for those straight out of school? I wish I could say I had some loftier reasons for wanting to attend law school, but the money is a big reason. Just wish I had made the decision earlier in UG...
I mean, the outcome of someone who misses biglaw out of Fordham is going to depend on a number of factors. Those just outside of the top 20% will probably snag some worthwhile midsize firm work, median to bottom third probably grabs shitlaw, bottom third is abjectly boned.

Like, 40% of the class isn't grabbing JD required employment. Fuck that noise for 250K in the hole.

As a fellow splitter I can tell you you only have two options - pay sticker at a school that maximizes your shot at large firm work (UVA, Northwestern, other splitter friendly T14 schools not named Georgetown) while understanding your raw odds are about 50/50 at best of landing a job that lets you service your crippling debt OR go risk averse and go to some TTT for next to nothing but understand you have a non-negligible chance of never working as a lawyer.

Tough to be a splitter, breh. If you don't have location/cultural concerns choose option A, but be prepared to drop out of you suck after 1L (like, bottom third or below) and invest in a good amount of heartburn medication.
Yeah, its no fun. Who knew I should have given a shit about "Enjoyment of Music" freshman year at 8AM. Fordham is kind of looking like a decent option for me, since it sounds like I have SOME chance of money, and I have a good amount of connections in NYC vs any other city (aside from one family member in Chicago). Though, 40% without long-term JD-required is fucking brutal considering the total cost there.

I guess either path has risk. I can go to Rutgers, Temple, Dozo, etc for (I think) next to nothing if not nothing, but some of those schools are only putting half their graduates into JD-required, long-term positions, and a far, far smaller percentage in the kind of job I'd like (lets say >90k). On the other, the T-14s I would have a shot at do much better in Big Law, but if I didn't land that job, I'd be pretty fucked debt-wise. As I said, I will have some family support for debt, but we haven't discussed to what degree. I feel like it would be great to speak with some family/friends who could help me out job-wise, and see if I would have something guaranteed after school, but I don't know if I feel comfortable with that, especially before I'm even in school.
if you want a chance at a t14, ur gnna have to retake with that GPA. i don't know why above posters are making you think you have a chance and i am not trying to be harsh (as i am a fellow 169er myself). the score sucks for splitters cuz ur still below every LSAT median in the 14 (minus cornell, michigan - where ur GPA likely still precludes you from being admitted). im sorry though i don't see how you could pull GT or NW - not a chance in hell really. ur WAY below both 25th percentile GPA's and ur 1 point below each LSAT median. worth the app fees cuz the cost is so marginal in the end relative to the investment of law school, and you may have an OUTSIDE chance at cornell/michigan (i think i saw someone with a 3.26/169 get in Mich ED but he mentioned his chances on LSP were like 8% lol), but be realistic mane

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:27 am

TLSwag wrote: if you want a chance at a t14, ur gnna have to retake with that GPA. i don't know why above posters are making you think you have a chance and i am not trying to be harsh (as i am a fellow 169er myself). the score sucks for splitters cuz ur still below every LSAT median in the 14 (minus cornell, michigan - where ur GPA likely still precludes you from being admitted). im sorry though i don't see how you could pull GT or NW - not a chance in hell really. ur WAY below both 25th percentile GPA's and ur 1 point below each LSAT median. worth the app fees cuz the cost is so marginal in the end relative to the investment of law school, and you may have an OUTSIDE chance at cornell/michigan (i think i saw someone with a 3.26/169 get in Mich ED but he mentioned his chances on LSP were like 8% lol), but be realistic mane
I probably should have made it more clear but I'm talking about re-taking in October. I know no one likes hypotheticals, but I'm assuming (which I shouldn't) I improve to at least a 170. I know my chances in the T-14 with 169 are pretty dismal, and I could easily strikeout at all those reaches I mentioned.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:36 am

emarxnj wrote:
TLSwag wrote: if you want a chance at a t14, ur gnna have to retake with that GPA. i don't know why above posters are making you think you have a chance and i am not trying to be harsh (as i am a fellow 169er myself). the score sucks for splitters cuz ur still below every LSAT median in the 14 (minus cornell, michigan - where ur GPA likely still precludes you from being admitted). im sorry though i don't see how you could pull GT or NW - not a chance in hell really. ur WAY below both 25th percentile GPA's and ur 1 point below each LSAT median. worth the app fees cuz the cost is so marginal in the end relative to the investment of law school, and you may have an OUTSIDE chance at cornell/michigan (i think i saw someone with a 3.26/169 get in Mich ED but he mentioned his chances on LSP were like 8% lol), but be realistic mane
I probably should have made it more clear but I'm talking about re-taking in October. I know no one likes hypotheticals, but I'm assuming (which I shouldn't) I improve to at least a 170. I know my chances in the T-14 with 169 are pretty dismal, and I could easily strikeout at all those reaches I mentioned.
Haha fair enough. I think that's a wise decision. Everything depends on a few more points & june was SHITTY curve

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”