International applicant (Eastern Europe)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
toshiba11

International applicant (Eastern Europe)

Postby toshiba11 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Hello everyone,

I've decided to open a new thread considering the fact that I'm really a non-typical applicant. Hope you won't mind.
LSAT: 174
GPA: 5.0/5.0 (superior) [Undegraduate degree in geophysics at a relatively unknown eastern-european university, ranked 451-500 by ARWU. Also no "softs".]

Since I'm not able to afford the law school (i don't have a green card holder willing to vouch for me nor financial means to pay for it), what are my chances of getting a full ride at Columbia, NYU or any other T-14 school?

I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.
Last edited by toshiba11 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lincoln

Re: International applicant (Eastern Europe)

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:42 pm

I recommend contacting the financial aid offices of schools in which you are interested and explaining your situation. There may be limits to what kinds of scholarships they can provide to non-residents. Few people on this forum will have been in your situation and any information not based on first-hand knowledge should be taken with huge grain of salt.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:31 pm

There is an international students thread, I believe. I would look for that if I were you.

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Also once you find the answer you should post it here for people who find it on Google in the future.

I don't know if there are rules around international students, but you seem competitive for the Hamilton at Columbia. If the 5.0 translates to a 4.0 to a 4.3 (i imagine it must) and your LSAT is above the 99th percentile your index score for Columbia will definitely be in the Hamilton range.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:24 pm

bbsg wrote:Also once you find the answer you should post it here for people who find it on Google in the future.

I don't know if there are rules around international students, but you seem competitive for the Hamilton at Columbia. If the 5.0 translates to a 4.0 to a 4.3 (i imagine it must) and your LSAT is above the 99th percentile your index score for Columbia will definitely be in the Hamilton range.

I don't think so. Superior/174 is not Hamilton or Butler material, sadly. From what I've seen, schools are stingy with these scholarships for internationals precisely because the GPA is not reportable and HYS is a black box for them so there is no "luring away" that is happening. OP should apply very broadly (as in all of the T14 including HYS and maybe beyond) and look into how need-based aid works for international students, but a full ride is very far from certain in the T14.

Edit: This thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162609) should be helpful to you, OP. You're also applying in a better climate than I was, since the dip in LSAT takers. From what I can see from that thread, your numbers may get you into HYS, in which case I would take a hard look at their need-based aid policies. From what I recall, they tend to be fairly generous. Good luck!

toshiba11

Postby toshiba11 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:19 am

I really appreciate your replies and suggestions.

From what I can see from that thread, your numbers may get you into HYS

According to my (internet-based) findings, the majority of admitted applicants at HYS a) didn't come directly from UG b) had tons of work experience and other softs. Since I'm coming directly from UG and have no work experience, realistically I don't think I stand any chance there.

Return to “What are my chances?”