Chances for Penn, Duke, UVA, Stanford?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
AdviceSeeker123

Chances for Penn, Duke, UVA, Stanford?

Postby AdviceSeeker123 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:21 pm

I scored a 169 on my June LSAT (frustrating to be 1 question shy of 170) and my Academic Summary lists my Degree GPA as 3.90 and my Cumulative GPA as 3.94 (I transferred to Penn undergrad for my junior and senior year).

I work as a para for a Big Law firm now and have a MS from the Journalism School at Columbia (NY), which I hope are pretty strong softs.

Would be interested to hear what everyone thinks my chances are for the aforementioned schools. Also thinking about NYU, but would preferto be out of New York for law school. Any application strategies are very welcome.

Thanks!

rad lulz

Re: Chances for Penn, Duke, UVA, Stanford?

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Softs are mediocre.

lawschoolnumbers.com; read the sticky in this forum.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:32 pm

A http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com poster, non-URM with a 169/3.9 & one to two years out of college had these results:

Stanford--in & will attend.
Georgetown--in.
UCal-Berkeley--in.
Duke--in.
NYU--in.
Michigan--in.

Harvard--waitlist.
Penn--waitlist.
Columbia--waitlist.

Your work experience & Master's Degree in Journalism from Columbia should help with Harvard & Columbia. Stanford is hard to predict, but you should do quite well next application cycle since apps to law schools are expected to decline further.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:34 pm

In at MVP with little or no scholarship as 3.9 will be above GPA median. 169, unfortunately doesn't help at all. You will have chance at full rides from schools from UCLA on down (because you are well over both medians). If you can pull a full ride out of Vandy/UCLA/USC/BC/BU/maybe Wustl, that is probably the best idea for you. CNN is a decent chance at sticker which may be a good option too.

Edit: maybe big money from Cornell or Gtown as well

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:40 pm

OP: The worst that you can expect is to be waitlisted at your targeted law schools, although you may be admitted to all. Scholarship money is another story if your LSAT score is below median. Harvard, Yale & Stanford & Georgetown award need based aid, however.

AdviceSeeker123

Postby AdviceSeeker123 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks for the responses thus far. I was curious how much Letters of Rec are worth and the personal statement/essays?

For a person in my position, I would imagine they can make a very big difference, though I'm not sure how to approach them.

Also, I would guess that applying as early in the cycle as possible would be in my best interest.

Any ideas about these topics are much appreciated.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:53 pm

AdviceSeeker123 wrote:Thanks for the responses thus far. I was curious how much Letters of Rec are worth and the personal statement/essays?

For a person in my position, I would imagine they can make a very big difference, though I'm not sure how to approach them.

Also, I would guess that applying as early in the cycle as possible would be in my best interest.

Any ideas about these topics are much appreciated.

Your softs are fine but won't put you over the top, so YS are extremely unlikely, B is just unlikely. H is out because of low LSAT.

According to this you have a better shot at N than VP. No idea why. Anyway, with your borderline stats you're gonna wanna apply across the T14. Duke and UM could throw money at you, which you can use as leverage with the rest (unless you like D and M).

LORs will be pretty important since you'll be at the margins for many schools. Just focus on professors that personally knew you -- you had a small class with them or you met them in office hours a lot. If you work closely with an attorney at your firm might be good to get a 3rd letter from him/her. Ask right now so they have plenty of time to write the letter.

Always apply as early as possible.

One more thing: you're a bit of a reverse splitter and might want to consider retaking. Look at what happens if you improve just three points. You can retake in October and apply early November and be fine.

AdviceSeeker123

Postby AdviceSeeker123 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:03 am

Thanks for that perspective, which is definitely making me reconsider a second take. I wonder, though, if a poorer performance or another 169 would hurt my chances? Since I'm working full time and pretty long hours now, I don't know how I could do. If a mediocre performance wouldn't hurt, then it almost seems silly not to take again.

Right now it seems as though I have a solid shot at all but T4 or 5, but am by no means a lock. A better score, I guess, would make acceptance near automatic up through T4, but again, I don't know the risks involved with not doing well.

Return to “What are my chances?”