2.7 / 172

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Hopeful_Splitter

2.7 / 172

Postby Hopeful_Splitter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:19 am

I am currently 26 with 4 years of solid work experience. I will be writing a GPA addendum, I had to work throughout college to support myself.

Was hoping for some advice on the schools I should be applying to and my chance at the following? Please let me know if there are any other schools I should be applying to.

Northwestern - Early Decision
GULC -
GW -
WUSTL -

crumpetsandtea

Re: 2.7 / 172

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:37 am

Hey there! I had similar stats to you for this past cycle (2.8/176, 1.5 years WE) and here's how my cycle went:

>> Held from ED, accepted a month later with a $45,000 scholarship over 3 years

GULC -
>> Accepted RD, no scholarship

GW -
>> Didn't apply ): (my guess is that you're in, though...MAYBE a WL-->A)

WUSTL -
>> Accepted RD with a $60,000 scholarship over 3 years

I would recommend shooting an app to UVa as well, or UMN (for scholarship negotiation purposes with WUSTL). You can check out my cycle (and other splitters like samara, ryemanhattan, elizcbeth, thisisme, etc etc etc) on LSN if you'd like! I'm at http://lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical ^_^ Feel free to ask me any questions, and I hope you have an awesome cycle!

Hopeful_Splitter

Postby Hopeful_Splitter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:48 am

Thanks for the reply. Congrats on the NU acceptance and :shock: :shock: on the LSAT Score.

It is a bit of a reach, but NU is my dream school.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:12 am

Hopeful_Splitter wrote:Thanks for the reply. Congrats on the NU acceptance and :shock: :shock: on the LSAT Score.

It is a bit of a reach, but NU is my dream school.

Haha thank you! And no problem, it's always my pleasure to help out other splitters :mrgreen:

I think you have a GREAT shot at NU. They really like to see applicants with WE, so make sure to talk that up, and make sure to write a Why NU with substance + go in for an interview (which you'll have to do since you're applying ED anyway).

If they decide to continue with their new full ride ED program (everyone who gets in ED gets a $150,000 scholarship), there's about 0% chance you'll get in ED, but if NU is your #1 I'd say apply ED anyway. They like seeing students who are really gung-ho about NU in particular, and they really appreciate people who make it clear that NU is their #1.

Hopeful_Splitter

Postby Hopeful_Splitter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:29 am

Would it still be worth it to ED? Is it still possible for me to get WL when I ED, then get accepted off the WL?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:42 am

Hopeful_Splitter wrote:Would it still be worth it to ED? Is it still possible for me to get WL when I ED, then get accepted off the WL?

IMO, it's worth it because I personally think NU gives a small, intangible boost to people who apply ED because it shows they're willing to commit to the school.

Also, NU doesn't WL straight off the ED list. If you don't get accepted ED, you will be "held" and then given a real RD decision after that. So for example, for me it was like this: apply ED, get held late november, get accepted late december. Others got WL-ed or Rejected, but only after getting held, so "hold" basically means "we are transferring you to a RD application."

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:43 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Hey there! I had similar stats to you for this past cycle (2.8/176, 1.5 years WE) and here's how my cycle went:

GULC -

GW -

WUSTL -

I would recommend shooting an app to UVa as well, or UMN (for scholarship negotiation purposes with WUSTL). You can check out my cycle (and other splitters like samara, ryemanhattan, elizcbeth, thisisme, etc etc etc) on LSN if you'd like! I'm at http://lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical ^_^ Feel free to ask me any questions, and I hope you have an awesome cycle!

This is not similar. 178 is very different than 172, and you even had a slightly higher GPA.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:49 am

Lawquacious wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Hey there! I had similar stats to you for this past cycle (2.8/176, 1.5 years WE) and here's how my cycle went:

GULC -

GW -

WUSTL -

This is not similar. 178 is very different than 172, and you even had a slightly higher GPA.

I had a 176, and one could argue that with a sub-3.0 GPA, there are diminishing returns on LSAT scores once you pass a certain percentile/score.

With that said, there is a difference between a 176 and a 172 in admissions. However, for NU in particular, the 6 years of WE could do a lot to make up for that, and 172 is still in a range that is competitive for NU and GULC. Ultimately, the stats are still similar, though they aren't the same. We're still extreme splitters with a sub-3.0 GPA and a LSAT over 170. There are few enough of us that being too picky with a .1 GPA difference or a slightly different 17X LSAT score would make it impossible to find comparable data to base our admissions decisions off of.

airplay355

Postby airplay355 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:43 pm

Crumpets, what was your UG major?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:49 pm

airplay355 wrote:Crumpets, what was your UG major?

Double majored in Phi/PoliSci. So...not anything hard AT ALL. :lol: :oops:

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:01 am

Lawquacious wrote:

GULC -

GW -

WUSTL -

This is not similar. 178 176 is very different than 172, and you even had a slightly higher GPA.

The difference between a 2.7 and a 2.8 is really non existant, as for the LSAT, I think a 172+ has a very good shot at NU. I was 2.79/173, applied late, was held, WL'd, then accepted, though no money.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:03 am

Icculus wrote:The difference between a 2.7 and a 2.8 is really non existant, as for the LSAT, I think a 172+ has a very good shot at NU. I was 2.79/173, applied late, was held, WL'd, then accepted, though no money.

Definite +1 to the bolded, especially with 6 years of WE.

RE: money - I think it's worth mentioning that this is the first year NU has given money to people with stats like mine. I was SUPER surprised to get anything at all, because in the past they've been extremely stingy with scholarships (they tend to give more large schollies and fewer smaller schollies, which means a lot of people with half+ schollies but not so many people with small ones). They seem to be changing up their scholly strategy with this ED program though, so perhaps the trend will continue!! :mrgreen:

ETA: more about money - DO NOT half-ass the scholarship essays. Johann posted on his G+ account that a lot of people treated it like a joke, and that it DID have a negative effect on their scholly chances (aka, they would have gotten money but the committee decided not to give them any/to give them less).
Last edited by crumpetsandtea on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:05 am

According to this you have a decent shot at northwestern... though there is limited data. I'm sure the ED would help (unless they're still doing the full scholarships? any word on that?) and the WE is definitely a plus.

GULC looks like a stretch, but WUSTL and GW seems like locks.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:11 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Icculus wrote:The difference between a 2.7 and a 2.8 is really non existant, as for the LSAT, I think a 172+ has a very good shot at NU. I was 2.79/173, applied late, was held, WL'd, then accepted, though no money.

Definite +1 to the bolded, especially with 6 years of WE.

RE: money - I think it's worth mentioning that this is the first year NU has given money to people with stats like mine. I was SUPER surprised to get anything at all, because in the past they've been extremely stingy with scholarships (they tend to give more large schollies and fewer smaller schollies, which means a lot of people with half+ schollies but not so many people with small ones). They seem to be changing up their scholly strategy with this ED program though, so perhaps the trend will continue!! :mrgreen:

ETA: more about money - DO NOT half-ass the scholarship essays. Johann posted on his G+ account that a lot of people treated it like a joke, and that it DID have a negative effect on their scholly chances (aka, they would have gotten money but the committee decided not to give them any/to give them less).

This is very true, I don't know anyone in my class who had a sub 3 GPA and got any money, hell I know people with slightly over 3 and higher than 176 LSAT with no money. NU has previously been very stingy with money, though seems that is changing with the drop in applications. Well done crumpets, I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little jealous.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:15 am

Icculus wrote:This is very true, I don't know anyone in my class who had a sub 3 GPA and got any money, hell I know people with slightly over 3 and higher than 176 LSAT with no money. NU has previously been very stingy with money, though seems that is changing with the drop in applications. Well done crumpets, I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little jealous.

Yup, I've spoken with a lot of the TLS current students from NU and they all say the same thing. Even people with 3.0+ GPAs and high LSATs didn't get much love from NU in the past, and this year they've been handing out 45K and 60K schollies like they're candy.

Thanks! <3 I expect to be similarly jealous about this year's cycle, hahaha.

UDFlyers90

Postby UDFlyers90 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:37 pm

Hopeful_Splitter wrote:I am currently 26 with 4 years of solid work experience. I will be writing a GPA addendum, I had to work throughout college to support myself.

Was hoping for some advice on the schools I should be applying to and my chance at the following? Please let me know if there are any other schools I should be applying to.

GULC -
GW -
WUSTL -

I think you have a solid chance at Northwestern, outside of this I'd say your chances of going t14 are pretty bleak for anything worth attending, and by this I mean if you get into Gtown you'll most likely be paying sticker which I personally do not think is worth it. I think you have somewhat of a chance at UVA but it would obviously have to come via an ED, which means you would probably be paying sticker there as well but at least with much better job prospects than Gtown.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:56 pm

UDFlyers90 wrote:
Hopeful_Splitter wrote:I am currently 26 with 4 years of solid work experience. I will be writing a GPA addendum, I had to work throughout college to support myself.

GULC -
GW -
WUSTL -

I think you have a solid chance at Northwestern, outside of this I'd say your chances of going t14 are pretty bleak for anything worth attending, and by this I mean if you get into Gtown you'll most likely be paying sticker which I personally do not think is worth it. I think you have somewhat of a chance at UVA but it would obviously have to come via an ED, which means you would probably be paying sticker there as well but at least with much better job prospects than Gtown.

I agree GULC at sticker is risky as fuck. My friend goes there with a small scholly and though it worked out for him, he says he would never do it again knowing what he knows now -- just too big a school considering their placement stats.

For OP: This is a clear "enjoy NU."

Return to “What are my chances?”