179/3.1 Veteran Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
EdBurke

New

179/3.1 Veteran

Post by EdBurke » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:41 am

179 was from this June (previous score - 168 from 2009). Triple major (Econ, History, Pol Sci) from a large public university. Had a 3.45 from said university, but while attending took accounting classes from a community college to sit and pass the CPA exam. I did pass the exam, but I also got a 2.1 in the classes which dragged my LSAC GPA down :/. Currently in the military and in Afghanistan. Not a URM, no other softs worth noting.

Should I write a short addendum saying the grades (2.1) don't reflect my academic ability?

Researched via LSN (especially this cycle) and some other splitter threads (thank you samara!); but posted figuring other people can still point out things I've missed, better strategies or anything else I may want to consider.

I'd like to end up in or near a big city, favoring DC and NYC; though I would be fine with Chicago. That and trying to figure out what T-14 school(s), if any, will give me some money so I don't have to just pay sticker at the best place I get into.

My plan was to apply:

* ED - NU
* T-14: NYU, CLS, UVA, Duke, GULC
* Ford, GW, Cardazo, Wash U

Are NU and GULC the two most likely places in the T-14 to give me some money?

mr.hands

Silver

Re: 179/3.1 Veteran

Post by mr.hands » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:46 am

EdBurke wrote:179 was from this June (previous score - 168 from 2009). Triple major (Econ, History, Pol Sci) from a large public university. Had a 3.45 from said university, but while attending took accounting classes from a community college to sit and pass the CPA exam. I did pass the exam, but I also got a 2.1 in the classes which dragged my LSAC GPA down :/. Currently in the military and in Afghanistan. Not a URM, no other softs worth noting.

Should I write a short addendum saying the grades (2.1) don't reflect my academic ability?

Researched via LSN (especially this cycle) and some other splitter threads (thank you samara!); but posted figuring other people can still point out things I've missed, better strategies or anything else I may want to consider.

I'd like to end up in or near a big city, favoring DC and NYC; though I would be fine with Chicago. That and trying to figure out what T-14 school(s), if any, will give me some money so I don't have to just pay sticker at the best place I get into.

My plan was to apply:

* ED - NU
* T-14: NYU, CLS, UVA, Duke, GULC
* Ford, GW, Cardazo, Wash U

Are NU and GULC the two most likely places in the T-14 to give me some money?
NU is tough. They're probably not going to give you 150k for a 3.1. You'll get money once you get in RD though. GULC should give you some, but they're stingy.

You're into a lot of the T14, minus Duke. UVA is very likely but not a lock.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:18 am

don't forget michigan and uva. As state schools, you will get full-rides from the YLP, and then you'll make money from the GI Bill. I think Northwestern offers pretty good YLP, as well.

edit- Sorry, I meant YRP, as in Yellow Ribbon Program.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:48 am

thanks for serving and best of luck. no advice sorry!

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:11 am

Your story sounds like one of the few cases where an admissions consultant could be beneficial. On the one hand your a triple major, vet, CPA, with a 179. On the other hand, you have a low GPA . . . but it's complicated.

If you play your cards right I think you could get a sizable scholarship to a top-10 school (maybe HYS). If you play your cards wrong, you could by SOL. Your essays will decide where you get in and how much $ they offer you.

If Anna Ivey still has the free consultation thingy I'd seek her advice.

I know a guy who had a really complicated story, hired Ivey, and got a full ride. It was a good investment for him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Is NU still offering full-ride scholarships to those who apply and are accepted ED?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:16 pm

Do you still have the post 911 gi bill?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:27 pm

If NU is offering full rides for EDs next cycle your ED will be wasted as there is literally no chance they bite, though you are in very very good shape for RD and will probably end up with 15-20k/year there.

In your position and with your preferences I'd probably ED UVA and be done with it. You would get a free education with GI/YRP and give yourself a fighting chance at both NYC/DC if you can handle C'Ville for 3 years.

As for your other options, CLS is probably not happening, NYU probably would off the WL but it would cost significantly more than other options. Duke is a waste of an app fee and Gulc would 100% accept you but is probably a poor choice. Add Michigan and cut WUSTL/Dozo imo as well.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:31 pm

2014 wrote:If NU is offering full rides for EDs next cycle your ED will be wasted as there is literally no chance they bite, though you are in very very good shape for RD and will probably end up with 15-20k/year there.

In your position and with your preferences I'd probably ED UVA and be done with it. You would get a free education with GI/YRP and give yourself a fighting chance at both NYC/DC if you can handle C'Ville for 3 years.

As for your other options, CLS is probably not happening, NYU probably would off the WL but it would cost significantly more than other options. Duke is a waste of an app fee and Gulc would 100% accept you but is probably a poor choice. Add Michigan and cut WUSTL/Dozo imo as well.
If he still has the GI Bill Fordham would be free of charge. Cornell will be free. UVA and Michigan for free. Harvard is worth and app as they would be free.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Yeah good call on adding Cornell. There are so many better ways to spend 100 bucks than for him to app to Harvard though.

EdBurke

New

Post by EdBurke » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:23 am

mattviphky wrote:don't forget michigan and uva. As state schools, you will get full-rides from the YLP, and then you'll make money from the GI Bill. I think Northwestern offers pretty good YLP, as well.

edit- Sorry, I meant YRP, as in Yellow Ribbon Program.

JCFindley wrote:Do you still have the post 911 gi bill?
Unfortunately as a reservist I only get the partial post-9/11, so no YRP. And I only have 15-17 months left because I used the Montgomery Reserve GI Bill in undergrad.
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:thanks for serving and best of luck. no advice sorry!

EdBurke

New

Post by EdBurke » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:33 am

JCFindley wrote:
2014 wrote:If NU is offering full rides for EDs next cycle your ED will be wasted as there is literally no chance they bite, though you are in very very good shape for RD and will probably end up with 15-20k/year there.

If he still has the GI Bill Fordham would be free of charge. Cornell will be free. UVA and Michigan for free. Harvard is worth and app as they would be free.
Thanks for the advice both of you; probably going to pass on the ED to NU ... didn't realize it was either get in with a full ride or get moved to RD. Full YRP would def make a difference in strategy; tho regardless will look more into Mich/Cornell...I thought Dozo might give me a full ride, but I guess its employment stats don't really justify it.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:54 am

Its not 2011. H is worth the app fee, and I'd bet you get one of CLS/NYU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:00 am

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice other than to definitely write addenda and personal statements. I'm genuinely sorry that law school admissions operates in a world serving your country, earning your CPA and scoring a 179 on the LSAT don't overcome a 3.1 LGPA.

If you've got compelling personal statements and apply early, I don't see why you couldn't land a spot at any law school, but I could also see how you might strike out at a T6. Law school admissions are not going to be as competitive next year as they have been in the recent past, but I'm not sure the low GPA can be overcome at some schools. C'est la vie.

Again, thank you for your service and best of luck!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:45 am

2014 wrote:Yeah good call on adding Cornell. There are so many better ways to spend 100 bucks than for him to app to Harvard though.
It's a hail marry pass with the 3.1 but I would do it if in the OP's position.

I was told my app fee was a waste at Fordham but I applied anyway as I was studying for a retake and was accepted outright. It is really hard to predict how much difference the military service will make.
patrickd139 wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have any advice other than to definitely write addenda and personal statements. I'm genuinely sorry that law school admissions operates in a world serving your country, earning your CPA and scoring a 179 on the LSAT don't overcome a 3.1 LGPA.

If you've got compelling personal statements and apply early, I don't see why you couldn't land a spot at any law school, but I could also see how you might strike out at a T6. Law school admissions are not going to be as competitive next year as they have been in the recent past, but I'm not sure the low GPA can be overcome at some schools. C'est la vie.

Again, thank you for your service and best of luck!
Not necessarily true. The veteran thing depending on what he/she did AND depending on school is often a soft that can count. (It did for me)

I forget how the partial GI Bill works, does it pay some money for 36 months or does it pay the full amount for less time?

How that works could change your strategy as well because the 179 could get you a pretty good amount of money at more than a few schools where the GI Bill would make up the rest. At the very least it will pay for a good bit of school.

(Also, the GI Bill changed to allow active title 32 time to count; don't know if that makes a difference in your situation.)

Also, see this thread for some general veteran info. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=187630

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:08 am

I would throw in a GPA addendum, but it's not going to factor in too much to your decisions.

Your strategy depends on how much $$ plays into the situation. If the GI Bill covers a lot of NYU, then absolutely ED there. Otherwise, I would RD to most players after NYU in the T14: UVA, Cornell, Duke, Michigan, NU, GULC. You might as well throw an app to Penn and Berkeley if they're free, but they like higher GPAs and seem unwilling to dip down on the GPA to improve their LSAT.

LSN shows you have the best shot at UVA, Mich, NU, and GULC.

dsc1943

New

Post by dsc1943 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:17 am

rayiner wrote:Its not 2011. H is worth the app fee, and I'd bet you get one of CLS/NYU.
+1 to this

I had worse stats (175/3.08) and am not a veteran. I got into NYU off the waitlist a couple weeks ago. Was accepted to Northwestern at sticker (but offered 20k/yr after NYU acceptance). I applied to all the T14 except HYS Cal and M denied at UVA/Duke and waitlisted at the rest only stuck out the Penn/NYU/Columbia waitlists.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”