3.1 GPA, what do I need for ED UVA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kgsully1

3.1 GPA, what do I need for ED UVA

Postby kgsully1 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been starting to prepare for the October LSAT, and my dream school to attend would be UVA law. I have a 3.1 and it should be higher by the time I submit my applications in Nov/Dec. But basically I was wondering what would be a safe range of scores to shoot for to feel pretty good about getting into UVA early decision. I'm out of state so I know that hurts me slightly, and I know most people would say "aim as high as you think you can get" or "175-180" but I realistically want to know what people think.

my other considerations after that are:
Wake Forest and Fordham so far

Thanks for the help

luckyme

Re: 3.1 GPA, what do I need for ED UVA

Postby luckyme » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:59 pm

are you from virginia? i would guess 170 minimum, 171+ you have a good shot

myertaafai

a

Postby myertaafai » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:02 pm

It's you dream school. Apply. But be realistic about the rest of your schools list.
Last edited by myertaafai on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:37 pm

myertaafai wrote:For UVA: You need at least a 172; better to get a 175.
That's realistic, unless of course you can raise your GPA to a 3.4/3.5, or higher, in 1 semester.

a 172 or 175 is no better for UVA's medians than a 171, and a 3.1 is no worse than a 3.4. A slightly higher GPA might help convince the committee that you will be academically competitive if admitted, but if you can show that in other ways (e.g., strong positive grade trend, meaningful WE), you have a good shot at ED

kgsully1

Postby kgsully1 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:29 am

luckyme wrote:
That's realistic, unless of course you can raise your GPA to a 3.4/3.5, or higher, in 1 semester.

a 172 or 175 is no better for UVA's medians than a 171, and a 3.1 is no worse than a 3.4. A slightly higher GPA might help convince the committee that you will be academically competitive if admitted, but if you can show that in other ways (e.g., strong positive grade trend, meaningful WE), you have a good shot at ED

Thanks luckyme, I guess im just slightly optimistic and your reasoning is the same as mine. My grade trend is positive over the course of 3 years and continuing up. I figured applying ED means to alot law schools but guess not from the previous posts?

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:54 pm

kgsully1 wrote:Thanks luckyme, I guess im just slightly optimistic and your reasoning is the same as mine. My grade trend is positive over the course of 3 years and continuing up. I figured applying ED means to alot law schools but guess not from the previous posts?

ED means a lot to UVA if you're out of state

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:02 pm

Two more options:
I would suggest getting to know the Dean of Admissions at UVA. Really well.
Some amazing 'softs' - Rhodes Scholar-like amazing.

Not to bring you down or sound sarcastic, and if your one dream school is UVA definitely apply there anyway (don't listen to the naysayers on this; you will regret it otherwise, even if you have a 95% shot of getting a flat out rejection and only 2% shot of acceptance - it's your dream school!). But maybe also make you schools list a bit more realistic; in fact, my experience is that you should absolutely wait to do any more thinking on schools (to apply to) until after you take the LSAT - base your expectations on prep-tests that you took and how good/bad you feel coming out of the test. I studied for 3 months for the LSAT and it sounds like you are doing that: at this time for me I was no where near what my LSAT score was and I had no clue what the test even entailed (my first reaction was: what, no vocab? no maths section?); but the practice tests and drills I did for the 2 weeks before the LSAT itself were definite indicators of what my score turned out to be.

No. 170 would probably do it. 171 for sure, so long as you ED UVA and compose a well-polished Why UVA statement. It would also help to visit UVA and speak with the adcomms and sit in on a class. This would make for good Why UVA fodder.

Good luck!!

P.S. take a look at mylsn.info. Search by UVA. It will show you exactly what you need, helpfully colored by red-yellow-green tiles, and it also says how many apps they have for those exact numbers.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Auto deny with same GPA and 169 at UVA? (2 years WE, otherwise nothing special)

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:09 pm

emarxnj wrote:Auto deny with same GPA and 169 at UVA? (2 years WE, otherwise nothing special)

Pretty much. http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=xswwg

There is no incentive to lock up a seat with someone below both medians.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Nova wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Auto deny with same GPA and 169 at UVA? (2 years WE, otherwise nothing special)

Pretty much. http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=xswwg

There is no incentive to lock up a seat with someone below both medians.

Yepp, kinda knew that. Just don't feel like taking a third time, but it looks inevitable. Think any T14 are worth taking a shot at with those numbers? Or is anything less than 170 with that GPA gonna lock me out?
Last edited by Easy-E on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:18 pm

169 3.7X wld via Ed. It's not going to happen.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:27 pm

Good luck in October. I think you have an outside shot at GULC and Cornell with your current numbers. I personally wouldnt ED though, because I wouldnt be down for sticker at either. Decent shot at Vandy/USC. You are certainly looking at decent money from UMN/WUSTL/GW/Emory and other T30s.... if you dont mind staying in the region, they arent bad options :mrgreen:

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:36 pm

Nova wrote:Good luck in October. I think you have an outside shot at GULC and Cornell with your current numbers. I personally wouldnt ED though, because I wouldnt be down for sticker at either. Decent shot at Vandy/USC. You are certainly looking at decent money from UMN/WUSTL/GW/Emory and other T30s.... if you dont mind staying in the region, they arent bad options :mrgreen:

Ehh not so much, trying to get into NYC like all the other special snowflakes (NJ resident), so the T30s you mentioned and Vandy/USC wouldn't really work. Cornell would be really nice, though sticker there is brutal (some support from parents is highly likely though).

If I plan on re-taking in October, it'd be stupid to send out any applications in September, right? I figure even if I explained to schools I would have a new score, they aren't going to consider me until they see that. Is the difference between applying September 1st vs. day after October score release pretty much negligible?

(and yes, thread jacked)

Return to “What are my chances?”