3.69/176 (166 first time)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
shs2012

3.69/176 (166 first time)

Postby shs2012 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:17 pm

Hey all,

I've already perused lawschoolnumbers.com, so I have some idea of my chances, but I wanted to see if anyone with some more experience with the admissions process (either personally or anecdotally) wouldn't mind taking a stab at a few questions... I only recently decided that I wanted to go to law school (hence my first 166 LSAT score, which I took after an idiotically minimal amount of preparation), so I'm relatively new to this whole deal.

1- chances at Columbia/Chicago/NYU?
2- chances at money from any schools in the lower 14? Or at NYU? I'm assuming money at Columbia or Chicago would never happen because of my GPA.
3- I keep hearing very conflicting things about how my first LSAT score will be counted- based on what a few friends have told me, it seems that it will matter little since I'm not applying to Yale or Stanford.
4- worth an application to Harvard, or is that a complete waste of money? Especially if they average my LSAT scores.

I have 2 (3 when I'll begin school) years of work experience in economic research at a federal agency, worked through college, clubs/leadership positions/campaign work, research assistantships, etc, but I'm not a Rhodes scholar and haven't cured cancer, so I assume I'm just like the majority of law school applicants, for whatever that's worth. I also do plan on turning in my applications at the beginning of the cycle- mid-October at latest.

Thanks!

jkpolk

Re: 3.69/176 (166 first time)

Postby jkpolk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:21 pm

Definitely apply to H. I think you'll get some money at each CCN- big money lower

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Same numbers (although without a first-time lower score). Got in at all of CCN with money at Columbia and NYU. Got none of HYS.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:29 pm

If you haven't, try this calculator, http://www.mylsn.info

3&4. Your 1st LSAT will be disregarded, even at H. No place really averages. Rankings are too important to them to do that.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:54 pm

You're golden at Columbia and NYU. You will definitely get significant money at NYU and everyone below. I don't know about Columbia. Probably Chicago, but they care a bit more about GPA.

H is DEFINITELY worth the application, but getting in will be tough. They very, very rarely dip below 3.7. Who knows though.

Fed Gov work is a plus soft for most law schools, especially if you describe the work as important [re: research work, and not bureaucratic/administrative] in your resume.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Your 3 years of work experience in economic research at a federal agency makes you an attractive candidate for all top 6 law schools, in my opinion.

P.S. It would be foolish to forego applying to Stanford & Yale based on your qualifications which extend well beyond your numbers.

EnchantedJockstrap

Postby EnchantedJockstrap » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:24 pm

shs2012 wrote:Hey all,

I've already perused lawschoolnumbers.com, so I have some idea of my chances, but I wanted to see if anyone with some more experience with the admissions process (either personally or anecdotally) wouldn't mind taking a stab at a few questions... I only recently decided that I wanted to go to law school (hence my first 166 LSAT score, which I took after an idiotically minimal amount of preparation), so I'm relatively new to this whole deal.

1- chances at Columbia/Chicago/NYU?
2- chances at money from any schools in the lower 14? Or at NYU? I'm assuming money at Columbia or Chicago would never happen because of my GPA.
3- I keep hearing very conflicting things about how my first LSAT score will be counted- based on what a few friends have told me, it seems that it will matter little since I'm not applying to Yale or Stanford.
4- worth an application to Harvard, or is that a complete waste of money? Especially if they average my LSAT scores.

I have 2 (3 when I'll begin school) years of work experience in economic research at a federal agency, worked through college, clubs/leadership positions/campaign work, research assistantships, etc, but I'm not a Rhodes scholar and haven't cured cancer, so I assume I'm just like the majority of law school applicants, for whatever that's worth. I also do plan on turning in my applications at the beginning of the cycle- mid-October at latest.

Thanks!

Apply to all T-14 schools. Most will not care about the 166. They will drool over the 176. I predict acceptance into H out of the HYS tridium of awesomeness. The lower T-14 will offer some $$.

Then enjoy life.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:53 pm

You're more or less sitting pretty at this point. I applied mid October ish (definitely apply as early as possible but mid October seemed fine), with a slightly higher GPA but a lower first test score.

1- your chances at Columbia and Chicago are pretty darn good. Chi is tough to crack cause of a smaller class size. I was waitlisted at chi but didn't pursue it because I was more interested in Columbia which gave me a decent amount of money, but they sort of seem to assign grants randomly so you certainly shouldnt count on it but Columbia with some money is a definite possibility. NYU with some money, while again no where near a guarantee, is an even more likely possibility.

2- I pulled in a couple of pretty sweet offers from some of the lower t14 (with some minimal negotiating) and would expect something similar for you.

3- A lower score matters at most imperceptibly, with that big of a gap no one is really going to question it. I sent in addendums about my gap to the schools that specifically requested one (though even that was just a couple sentences) but other than that I just let my scores stand.

4- Absolutely worth an application to Harvard, and I would even say Yale and Stanford, if you want to go to either of them. I didn't apply to Stanford so I cant say much about that, but Yale can be a who knows and Harvard has big class and thus lots of spaces. I didn't get into H but I made the waitlist and, though I am expecting my rejection any day, am still counting that as getting close.

if you want more details shoot me a PM

shs2012

Postby shs2012 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks to all of you guys for the advice...it's great/really useful to hear from people who've gone through the admissions process already at similar schools. I'll definitely apply to Harvard and Stanford at least (hey, why not) and make sure to submit my applications by late October, since that can't hurt...anyways, thanks again!

Postby 22461016 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:54 am

Return to “What are my chances?”