An unusual UG background

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Yair2468

An unusual UG background

Postby Yair2468 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:35 am

Basically I would like to know where the fine patrons of this particular forum would chance me for law programs (any recommendations within the top 50, otherwise save the energy), given a rather unorthodox undergraduate career.

-So I graduated with honors from NYU Tisch with a BFA in drama this last year. I somehow managed to complete another major in economic policy, within which I wrote a thesis and also received honors. I also have a minor in math and a minor in performance studies, but please don't assume I was taking summer school and extra credits the whole time, when there is in fact a much less impressive explanation. I went to Tisch because I love acting, and I felt a strong desire to pursue collegiate level training in that field (in particular elizabethan era drama, but thats irrelevant i'm guessing). I ALSO knew however, that (because I come into NYU with credits towards the econ major and math minor) I could do a bunch of stuff without having to go through some BS, preordained, liberal education program (hence the additional minors). Instead I opted to roll around on the floor touching a bunch of other actors for 2 years whilst engaging a rigorous, academic, field of study (I completed the theatre program early). I certainly don't regret it, and I loved college, but around my senior year, law school started to sound really appealing, and the summer after I graduated, I took the lsat and got a 173. I was wondering if, with that information, you might be able to say what schools might be interested in me, and which school will just toss my application because I have a degree in fine art, instead of art (lol). Oh (this is important) I had a 3.85 coming out of college (a 3.8 in theatre and a 3.92 somthing in econ).

Also, some softs
-I volunteer on the border with an organization that leaves water for undocumented migrants
-I was on the deans list for 2 years
-I have produced my own theatre both in Arizona (where I am from) and in New York
-I have been working as an actor since last summer (when I graduated)
-I had an paid internship with a medical malpractice firm in Phoenix writing deposition summaries and conducting interviews for informal disclosure statements
-I have held 13 jobs since the age of 14, I won't go into all of them now, but they range from summer councilor, to welder and lighting technician, to telecommunications person, to crane operator, etc. etc.
-I am mexican american (I hear this helps)
-I am a trained symposium leader for an environmental group operating out of San Fran that deals directly with indigenous tribes in the eastern region of the Ecuadorian Amazon
-I was part of MUNNYU

Looking back on what I have just written, I would completely understand if you thought I was full of shit, but i'm not, I promise, I just had an unconventional upbringing, which lead to my having a proclivity for unconventional life choices.
So let me know!

(Also, forgive my flagrant and unabashed use of parenthetical insertions ( :D ))

Total Litigator

Re: An unusual UG background

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:39 am

I could just be jealous of your numbers...
But you sound insufferable.

But in all seriousness, a fine arts degree is a an app killer. If you can't get into Yale, you're basically looking at the T2, low T1 range.

I know from experience, as I made the mistake of majoring in nuclear physics and (regretfully) Pretentious Walks.

bmore

Postby bmore » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:30 am

OK I think this is a giant flame but I'll bite. I would say you are in with $ T-4 and down. And possibly H,S. But the fact that you need to ask these questions makes me wonder. BTW, were you a summer counselor??? Yeah, that's why I say I wonder.............

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:02 am

Dude, as much as you think your life story matters, all law schools care about are your numbers. If you have other college credit besides NYU, it will be calculated into your LSDAS GPA. You have to include everywhere you went to college including any high school AP credits taken in a college.

Being Mexican-American should also give you a boost.

Save your life story for a PS and apply everywhere you are interested in attending. I know you feel you are special, but, everybody has a story.

However, I really wonder if you want to go to law school or be a lawyer. You sound like you relish being unconventional which is pretty much the opposite of law.

I think you should look into doing something with drama and economics as well as considering law.
Last edited by sunynp on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:29 am

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:40 am

Isn't Mexican-American URM? You would think I know the answer to that by now, but I don't. :oops:

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:54 am

sunynp wrote:

Isn't Mexican-American URM? You would think I know the answer to that by now, but I don't. :oops:

I didn't see that because I couldn't be bothered to read all of OPs insu.fferable crap

myertaafai

Postby myertaafai » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:10 pm

Wait - what are your numbers???
GPA? LSAT?

No way to answer it otherwise.

Although your softs will clearly be amazing, and congrats on doing a ton in your life...and again, what's your LSAT score?

This is how I give myself a reality check. Look at that schools' 25th percentile LSAT. Take off 2 points. (I'm being super generous here). If you aren't there: Chuck it out. There's no way.
(One caveat: Do you know the Dean of Admissions at this school, and have they promised you a seat? If yes, then forget everything I said and apply!)

You could have been on SCOTUS at age 12 and I'm not sure it matters.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:17 pm

OP: To law schools, you are a 173/3.85 URM with a year of work experience.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:26 pm

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:33 pm

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:34 pm

myertaafai wrote:Wait - what are your numbers???
GPA? LSAT?

No way to answer it otherwise.

Although your softs will clearly be amazing, and congrats on doing a ton in your life...and again, what's your LSAT score?

Its buried in there, somewhere.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:56 pm

You come off as a complete chode. I would work on that for those admission interviews.

But you're numbers and URM status should allow you to throw apps at HYS on down. Good luck.

Return to “What are my chances?”