Looking for law schools to apply to

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jzabl001

Looking for law schools to apply to

Postby jzabl001 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:18 pm

Been out of school working for about a year and just started prepping for the LSAT in October last week. Scored a 146 on my first diagnostic (which sucks) but my instructor seems to think my target score of somewhere between 155-160 is attainable. I have an undergraduate degree from U of Miami and a masters in business as well that I got right after. GPAs from both are 3.0 and 3.1 respectively. I'm from Florida so I'm planning on applying to Miami (50/50 shot?), FIU (good chance), UF (reach), FSU (reach), and probably Nova and St. Thomas as safeties. I also really like Northeastern in Boston because of the co-op program but I probably need more to schools to apply to. I'd like to practice transactional/business law given my background so based on my projected stats, what are some relevant schools to look at? TIA

PinkCow

Re: Looking for law schools to apply to

Postby PinkCow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Are you sure you want to practice law. Your GPA + predicted LSAT will not open up any big opportunities that your MBA does not already cover.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:27 pm

OP: Your post is a bit premature; you need an actual LSAT score. Nevertheless, your undergraduate GPA will make admission to most Tier One (top 50) law schools difficult unless accompanied by an LSAT score in, at least, the mid-160s.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:38 pm

PinkCow wrote:Are you sure you want to practice law. Your GPA + predicted LSAT will not open up any big opportunities that your MBA does not already cover.

With that Gpa you need a 168 or above to open opportunities that are worth it. That being said, search for the guide to being a successful splitter on the forum search here. That will help you.

jzabl001

Postby jzabl001 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:44 pm

I thought all top 100 schools were tier 1. Seems like my GPA is good enough to get into those schools.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:45 pm

jzabl001 wrote:I thought all top 100 schools were tier 1. Seems like my GPA is good enough to get into those schools.

Nah man T1 is just 1-50. T2 is 50-100.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:54 pm

PinkCow wrote:
jzabl001 wrote:I thought all top 100 schools were tier 1. Seems like my GPA is good enough to get into those schools.

Nah man T1 is just 1-50. T2 is 50-100.

Yea, and almost all schools are not worth going to without significant $$$. Hence, your primary goal should be a high LSAT. You have a bad Gpa. If you do really well on the LSAT a school will still "purchase" your LSAT with good scholarship money.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:58 pm

The most recent USNews rankings list the Top 146 law schools as "The Top Law Schools" and the remaining 49 law schools as "Second Tier". Prior to the 2013 edition, law schools were listed in four tiers with about fifty (50) law schools in each tier. USNews' new system is largely ignored in favor of the old four tier ranking system.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:01 pm

The truth, however, probably lies in an even more discerning ranking system. For example, the Top 14 law schools are considered to be the best investment based on employment/placement results. The remaining law schools are regional in nature--primarily with respect to location of job opportunities.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:06 pm

You need a real LSAT. Try for 165 plus to get a scholarship.

However, and I'll be honest, you need to read a bunch of the threads on this website. I have to tell you: you probably shouldn't go to law school unless you get into a strong regional (FSU and UF are the ones in Florida I believe - feel free to correct me TLSers if I'm wrong) or into the Top 14 schools in this country. And unless you get HYS, you need a scholarship. And even if you get HYS, seriously consider trying for a scholarship.

Seriously. Consider another job. Last year 45% of graduates did not get a job as a lawyer. 45%. That's a coin flip.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:16 pm

Try http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ & http://www.mylsn.info

And set the bar way higher than 160. Youll need to do better than 160/3.0 to get UF/FSU

smithdani

Postby smithdani » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:22 am

SPAM

EnchantedJockstrap

Postby EnchantedJockstrap » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:43 am

jzabl001 wrote:Been out of school working for about a year and just started prepping for the LSAT in October last week. Scored a 146 on my first diagnostic (which sucks) but my instructor seems to think my target score of somewhere between 155-160 is attainable. I have an undergraduate degree from U of Miami and a masters in business as well that I got right after. GPAs from both are 3.0 and 3.1 respectively. I'm from Florida so I'm planning on applying to Miami (50/50 shot?), FIU (good chance), UF (reach), FSU (reach), and probably Nova and St. Thomas as safeties. I also really like Northeastern in Boston because of the co-op program but I probably need more to schools to apply to. I'd like to practice transactional/business law given my background so based on my projected stats, what are some relevant schools to look at? TIA

Keep on practicing for the LSAT. Personally, I think you can do better than a 160, but only if you go balls to the wall. Your best chance is to become a great splitter. Congrats on the MBA, but only UG grades count for law school admissions. As for potenital law schools you pretty much have looked at all the ones you should for practicing and living in FL. I wouldn't really look out of the state unless you can crack the t-14, or would work outside FL.

Return to “What are my chances?”