Help starting my splitter cycle 3.27/170

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Nickg415

Help starting my splitter cycle 3.27/170

Postby Nickg415 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:21 pm

I have two main questions but any comments or suggestions for the coming cycle will be greatly appreciated

First

I plan on being able to raise my GPA to a 3.30-3.35 by the end of winter. Should I still ED to top schools or should I just apply early and submit an updated transcript at the end of Fall semester?

Second

I would love to go to Cornell and will be sending in my application the first day that they open shop. But if I could get into Virginia or Northwestern I would take that over Cornell. With my numbers which one would I be better off apply to with a binding ED?

As far as my other schools that I will be applying to this is my cemented list as of now:

Boston College
George Washington
Michigan
Fordham
BYU

mbd1200

Re: Help starting my splitter cycle 3.27/170

Postby mbd1200 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Northwestern is a pipe dream without work experience. 95% of their last class had at least one year of post-undergrad work experience. Plus, their ED is extra competitive due to full tuition scholarship for ED acceptances. You've got a decent shot at Virginia ED.

I think you've got the right plan in mind. Get Cornell out early, ED to Virginia, and then spray applications around the T25.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. That's too bad about the WE at northwestern I had always heard they looked more favorable at such softs but had no idea that they were so crucial. I did take a few years off in my UG to do humanitarian work in Eastern Europe. Would this equate in any way to Work experience? Or do they deal strictly with post UG?

mbd1200

Postby mbd1200 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Nickg415 wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. That's too bad about the WE at northwestern I had always heard they looked more favorable at such softs but had no idea that they were so crucial. I did take a few years off in my UG to do humanitarian work in Eastern Europe. Would this equate in any way to Work experience? Or do they deal strictly with post UG?

I'm fairly certain they define work experience as full-time, post-undergraduate, but your humanitarian work might give you a shot at the 5% of people they accept without post-undergraduate work experience. But with your numbers, I'd think it's a very, very long shot. For them to make an exception, you've got to really have a stand-out application. With a 3.3/170, I'm not sure you'll be able to separate yourself from the pack by a large enough margin. Of course, it couldn't hurt to apply -- but I wouldn't hold out hope for Northwestern. I definitely wouldn't waste your ED on them.

Return to “What are my chances?”