165/3.3 Chances at UC Irvine??? Here are my stats...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gitguy

165/3.3 Chances at UC Irvine??? Here are my stats...

Postby gitguy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Here's my profile. Your thoughts are much appreciated, especially if you are familiar with the criteria for admission at UC Irvine. I feel that I'm more than just numbers

UGPA: 3.3 (a few notes on this: bad first year in classes unrelated to eventual degree major, after that mostly A's and some B's for the remaining 4 years, worked full time throughout)
LSATs: 159, 165
Undergrad Institution and major: UC Irvine, Social Ecology, Dean's List multiple consecutive quarters including final, literally just shy of cum laude.
LOR's: One from Crim Law professor (Assistan Dean of my school) at UCI, another from my current employer, Avvo Rated and SuperLawyer whom I have worked for around 2.5 years.
Softs: Full time work all throughout college (not flipping burgers, but working in Real Estate, hotel industry, non-profit and a few other areas); 1 year experience working for non-profit environmental/civil rights advocacy groups including GP and Human Rights Campaign; a 10 week internship at the US State Department working for a bureau that handles global ecological issues; 2.5 years full time well-paid experience working in a complex civil litigation firm with direct and substantial involvement in two complex trials and an appeal as well as too many other areas to name.

I live nearby the school, I love UCI, I am in contact with the deans of admission, I want to pursue public interest law, and have visited the school on many occasions.

What are my chances?? I am fretting and any meaningful evaluation you can offer would soothe me one way or the other.

Thanks!

splitsplat

Re: 165/3.3 Chances at UC Irvine??? Here are my stats...

Postby splitsplat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:19 pm

pretty sure latin honors for uc's start around 3.6+ so I don't think you were just shy, unless your major is special. anyway, you are currently under both medians, gpa and lsat, so unless uci debuts super low in the rankings by the time you apply, you will need to retake the lsat to get above at least the lsat median to have a better chance.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 pm

when r u graduating? ur score is good enough for some money at pepperdine and loyola, arguably better schools than uci to begin with

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:53 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:when r u graduating? ur score is good enough for some money at pepperdine and loyola, arguably better schools than uci to begin with

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:00 pm

splitsplat wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:when r u graduating? ur score is good enough for some money at pepperdine and loyola, arguably better schools than uci to begin with

"arguably"

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:44 pm

splitsplat wrote:pretty sure latin honors for uc's start around 3.6+ so I don't think you were just shy, unless your major is special. anyway, you are currently under both medians, gpa and lsat, so unless uci debuts super low in the rankings by the time you apply, you will need to retake the lsat to get above at least the lsat median to have a better chance.

My gpa at UCI was 3.62, so I was in fact just shy of having "cum laude" on my degree. My combined ugpa is the problem.

Where did you find out their medians? From what I can see, they only release 25/75 percentiles for both lsat and ugpa per their own website: http://www.law.uci.edu/prospective/consumer_info.html Based on those metrics, I am surely well below the ugpa median, but could be right on top of 2016's lsat median...

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

"arguably"

I'd appreciate this thread not devolving into a contest over which school is better. I am considering Loyola, but want to know what my odds at UCI are. I graduated in June of 2010.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Depends upon their median numbers. Hopefully, the poster above will share those numbers, but, according to the graph at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com, all with a 165 LSAT score were admitted.

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:33 am

gitguy wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

"arguably"

I'd appreciate this thread not devolving into a contest over which school is better. I am considering Loyola, but want to know what my odds at UCI are. I graduated in June of 2010.

UCI is pretty holistic in their admissions -- e-mail Dean Austin and say just what you said in that first post. It'll go a long way. She's really approachable.

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:51 am

You'll be waitlisted.163/3.75 here, waitlisted at UCI.

And no, they're not holistic. They're as number-conscious as any school. I know people with 170's who had NOTHING, literally NOTHING else to offer and got in.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:27 am

I would say a 165 is either 1 or 2 points under the current LSAT median, the only published number I can point to right now would be 166 was the mean (not median) for the inaugural class. I only say the median is higher than 165 because when I applied earlier this cycle, I had the chance to have a fairly candid discussion regarding the medians with Dean Austin.

ETA:
CanadianWolf wrote:Depends upon their median numbers. Hopefully, the poster above will share those numbers, but, according to the graph at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com, all with a 165 LSAT score were admitted.

Wrong. I counted about 5 or 6 applicants with LSAT 165 or higher that were waitlisted, none were outright rejected though.

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:19 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:You'll be waitlisted.163/3.75 here, waitlisted at UCI.

And no, they're not holistic. They're as number-conscious as any school. I know people with 170's who had NOTHING, literally NOTHING else to offer and got in.

You're well below the LSAT median, and it appears they weigh LSAT more heavily than GPA.

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:24 pm

gitguy wrote:
bingbang1025 wrote:You'll be waitlisted.163/3.75 here, waitlisted at UCI.

You're well below the LSAT median, and it appears they weigh LSAT more heavily than GPA.

Yeah holistic admissions is largely a myth save a few schools.

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:25 pm

splitsplat wrote:I would say a 165 is either 1 or 2 points under the current LSAT median, the only published number I can point to right now would be 166 was the mean (not median) for the inaugural class. I only say the median is higher than 165 because when I applied earlier this cycle, I had the chance to have a fairly candid discussion regarding the medians with Dean Austin.

ETA:
CanadianWolf wrote:Depends upon their median numbers. Hopefully, the poster above will share those numbers, but, according to the graph at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com, all with a 165 LSAT score were admitted.

Wrong. I counted about 5 or 6 applicants with LSAT 165 or higher that were waitlisted, none were outright rejected though.

True, but I do think the trend is toward somewhat softer admission stats. I think last year's admissions cycle is much more telling, as there was not guaranteed tuition money on the table for accepts. Anyway, people who score in the 170s don't typically need a whole lot else to be admitted.

I'm also getting a vibe that they are at least somewhat holistic. UCI prides themselves on a level of diversity you would never see on the East Coast. I did undergrad there and caucasians are a vast minority.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:04 pm

I don't think there is a clear trend at this point, it could go either way really. Much of it depends (it shouldn't, but it will) on where they show up in the rankings.

If they manage to surprise critics and rank high, then they can afford to remain selective and either keep their median or try to push it higher. If they show in the 30s or 40s where a lot of people expect them to, I imagine a 165 will be admitted, even with a lower GPA.

Return to “What are my chances?”