171/3.6

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
chicago_or_bust

171/3.6

Postby chicago_or_bust » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:07 pm

Hey guys, I graduated from Duke this year, had a couple of DC internships, very good letters of rec and i'm guessing? average personal statement.

I don't think asians are URM, but yeah, I am asian

I will not be taking the LSAT again, so I'm just going to apply this fall with my 171. I got a 3.6 GPA so I am concerned.

It really is UChicago or bust for me. I will be EDing to Chicago. I am considering Penn also, not really too hot about NY area schools. I would rather go to Chicago than Columbia if I got into both. I realize that ED means I will be attending at sticker but I really need the boost in my chances so that I can make my dream a reality.

What do you guys think about my chances at Chicago or Penn?

Thanks

Dr. Review

Re: 171/3.6

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:10 pm

http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=4q5z5

Looks like about a 30-35% chance at a straight acceptance at each, unless there's a significant difference with the lower number of apps coming in next cycle. More likely to be WL'd than accepted.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Tiny sample size but this should be heartening: http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=dur1z

tyler.durden

Postby tyler.durden » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Good luck buddy, I'll be interested in following your cycle, hope it goes your way.
Last edited by tyler.durden on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicago_or_bust

Postby chicago_or_bust » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:14 pm

thanks

it doesn't seem like people post here often...what would you take...Penn ED with a better chance of getting in or take a risk and Chicago ED?

mbd1200

Postby mbd1200 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:57 pm

Similar numbers so I'll pass along the advice I received. Don't ED unless you're really set on a place, especially not if you're going to be paying sticker. That's a massive investment. If you're not in love with a school, ride the cycle and see if one school separates itself with money.

It seems obvious that Chicago is your top choice. That being the case, I couldn't possibly recommend you apply ED to another school. Your chances at Chicago aren't great, but they're not non-existent. In the current climate with law school apps down across the board, Chicago may be willing to jump on an ED 171 if you can prove you really love the school.

With a 171, good undergrad school, and decent GPA, you're going to have good options. You've got a shot for money in the lower T14, and a puncher's chance at a school like Chicago. IMO, decide how much you like Chicago. If the answer is "a ton", apply ED. If the answer is "meh, it's better than the alternatives", ride the cycle and hope for $ from lower schools. You're going to be competitive from NYU down with regular decision, so if you're not in love with any of those schools, don't ED and blow your chances at money. And obviously the chances aren't great, but if you get into Chicago RD and get accepted somewhere else ED @ sticker, you're going to be pretty disappointed.

Also, 39% of Penn Law's graduating class ends up in New York. Another 23% in PA. So if you're averse to the NE, there are probably much better ED decisions.

RIPmitchhedberg

Postby RIPmitchhedberg » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:05 pm

mbd1200 wrote:Similar numbers so I'll pass along the advice I received. Don't ED unless you're really set on a place, especially not if you're going to be paying sticker. That's a massive investment. If you're not in love with a school, ride the cycle and see if one school separates itself with money.

It seems obvious that Chicago is your top choice. That being the case, I couldn't possibly recommend you apply ED to another school. Your chances at Chicago aren't great, but they're not non-existent. In the current climate with law school apps down across the board, Chicago may be willing to jump on an ED 171 if you can prove you really love the school.

With a 171, good undergrad school, and decent GPA, you're going to have good options. You've got a shot for money in the lower T14, and a puncher's chance at a school like Chicago. IMO, decide how much you like Chicago. If the answer is "a ton", apply ED. If the answer is "meh, it's better than the alternatives", ride the cycle and hope for $ from lower schools. You're going to be competitive from NYU down with regular decision, so if you're not in love with any of those schools, don't ED and blow your chances at money. And obviously the chances aren't great, but if you get into Chicago RD and get accepted somewhere else ED @ sticker, you're going to be pretty disappointed.

Also, 39% of Penn Law's graduating class ends up in New York. Another 23% in PA. So if you're averse to the NE, there are probably much better ED decisions.

Also, if a lower T14 school offers you money, Chicago may be willing to offer you a small scholarship (though not as big as the lower school, obviously) to buy the higher yield rate.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:12 pm

mbd1200 wrote:Similar numbers so I'll pass along the advice I received. Don't ED unless you're really set on a place, especially not if you're going to be paying sticker. That's a massive investment. If you're not in love with a school, ride the cycle and see if one school separates itself with money.

To be fair, his account name is "chicago_or_bust" so ED might be TCR for him.

tyler.durden

Postby tyler.durden » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:18 am

Last edited by tyler.durden on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

granger

Postby granger » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:41 am

had these numbers. chicago isn't really on the table.

chicago_or_bust

Postby chicago_or_bust » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:21 am

someone sure is optimistic here lol

chicago_or_bust

Postby chicago_or_bust » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:22 am

tyler.durden wrote:
chicago_or_bust wrote:thanks

it doesn't seem like people post here often...what would you take...Penn ED with a better chance of getting in or take a risk and Chicago ED?

I'm actually struggling with the same question, I love chicago, but am worried that if I ED I'll miss out on something, though I'm worried if I dont ED I'll regret it. If you are set on ED somewhere, I'd definitely ED Chicago if thats what you want. I may be doing the same, we'll see...

thats the thing...i don't want to regret, but on the whole, I don't want to screw myself by possibly missing out on both Penn and chicago and having to go to gulc or something. but there is always that chance.... so i'm not sure what to do

mbd1200

Postby mbd1200 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:06 pm

IMO the odds of you dropping all the way to GULC are very slim, unless you'd rather have GULC than schools like Michigan or Duke. ED to Virginia is nearly auto-admit for you, and that will be available until March.

I think your numbers would make sense to take a shot at a reach with ED. If you truly don't want NYU, you can take a shot at Chicago and even if you don't get it, have a decent shot at Penn RD, a great shot at Virginia with a late-ED, and a very good shot everywhere below that RD.

Return to “What are my chances?”